Hard drive security in Laptop claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All, hope you can help.

I am in the process of claiming for a laptop on my contents insurance. The screen has smashed so I believe will be uneconomical to repair.

The insurers want me to send the laptop so they can verify the claim. I am fine with that but I am reluctant to send the hard drive with it as (even if it it completely wiped) it may still contain personal information.

I have asked about keeping the hard drive but they say they need it to be able to fully test. I tried arguing the point that it is the screen that is smashed, with or without a hard drive this is obvious.

I was quoted their procedure on destroying hard drives beyond use 14 days after the claim is settled but how can anyone be certain this happens and what happens before it is destroyed.

Can anyone help me with my rights in this situation and if it is worth pursuing this further.

Thanks

Guest Old_andrew2018

IMHO it is not worth the trouble, I use a stand alone hard drive for sensitive information, it avoids problems should my computer be in Need of repair.

Andy

cant be THAT sensitive!

if you must there are plenty of progs on the market that will wipe specfic files/folder beyond casual unerase.

cant see why an ins co. would be interested in your data anyhow.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I do my banking online so it is pretty sensitive.

I also work in IT and I am fully up to speed on restoring files which have been more than just deleted.

It's not the insurers I am worried about with my data. Spare parts are often sold on after a claim has been settled.

I do my banking online so it is pretty sensitive.

I also work in IT and I am fully up to speed on restoring files which have been more than just deleted.

It's not the insurers I am worried about with my data. Spare parts are often sold on after a claim has been settled.

there are no online banking sites that retain any info locally as to your passcodes etc in cookies or WHY, you should know that.

unless you have stored sensitive info yourself in files on the HDD then you have no worries.

stop panicing.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I had same problem when I was using my laptop for work at home had screen go. I was lucky my laptop had VGA connection so just used screen from my desktop to erase all work related data then used utility to wipe free space on hard disk.

dpick

I'm with you - having seen what is possible with HDD restores and subsequent misuse of data I would NEVER hand over a hard disk to anyone, wiped or otherwise. Can you buy a cheap low capacity drive off eBay and send with that instead?

In terms of your rights, I think it will be down to the discretion of the insurer. Not quite the same but I have claimed under my Dell warranty for two (grr) faulty HDD and on both occasions argued successfully not to return the faulty disk to them. Takes a lot of huffing and puffing for them to agree, but they do eventually. If it was a Dell business system I could pay and extra £10 or something for their keep hard drive option so I could avoid this hassle, but last time I checked they weren't offering it to home users. Anyway, I digress...

-->> Supporting Dog Rescue <<--

I was thinking of replacing the hdd with a spare. Probably would be the best option, although I still cannot work out why they need it to be able to test the laptop for a smashed screen.

Once the claim is settled they destroy the hdd, so what good is it to them anyway.