The modern 'make do and mend'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4073 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

From "staycations" to knitting clubs, frugal living is increasingly in vogue as families look to cut costs during the economic downturn.

Supermarkets expand their budget lines and two-for-one deals, while magazines offer tips and sewing templates to help people make clothes at home.

Now, 70 years after the outbreak of World War II, High Street department chain John Lewis is getting in on the act - by turning the clock back to the days of the Blitz.

It is publishing what it calls a "modern reworking" of the famous 1943 government booklet on making the most of minimal resources - Make Do And Mend.

Full story:-

BBC NEWS | Business | The modern 'make do and mend'

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
when veg is cheap buy it cook it then freeze, this will save you a lot of money

Hi

I've started to do just that. Really handy for vegetables like celery-some recipes need just one stalk-and leeks which aren't always available.8)

• 3 months later...

if you want some curtains to match your duvet but they are expensive then buy another duvet set and make them out of that you can often get buy one get one free, and as long as they are the same sets you have a pair of curtains that havent cost you the earth

• 3 weeks later...

Watch out for opportunist pricing if you are considering a major purchase online. Prices go down from Monday to Wednesday and are raised from Thursday through the weekend because that's when most people buy. This is particularly noticeable with electrical goods on Amazon but can happen with any online retailer.

• Confused 1

Thankyou Hightail, i was wondering that been watching for a while at prices thought it was me wishing again they do actually put down things during the week then up them at the weekend, ive seen it with food as well but thanks again will now watch it and buy

My O/H had been looking to buy a new TV. Went up in price by £50 late last Thursday night and was back down in price by Monday lunchtime. It really does happen as people buy at a weekend or want stuff delivered at the weekend. Do your research over the weekend if you must but look to buy on a Tuesday

• 1 year later...

If Your CURTAINS Are GETTING HARD TO OPEN/CLOSE THEN SPARY SOME FURNITURE POLISH ON THE CURTAIN RAIL AND THEY SHOULD THEN BE A LOT Easier TO OPEN/CLOSE. OOPS sorry for caps keep catching the caps lock, another tip,put foil behind your raditors to help keep the heat in

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

• 7 months later...

Home servicing of your car;

Elongates the vehicles life

Saves the £100 that it costs at the dealer/garage

Reduces fuel consumption

Gives you something really cool for your kid to help you with :)

Parts cost £20 ish - 80% saving, and it only takes 20 minutes to do.

• 3 months later...