what happens at court

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5346 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all hope someone can help just received a summons for council tax bill including costs£1015 after a lot of panicking and scratching of heads about what to do decided to just throw as much money at it as possable to pay it it we can pay it off by the end of september.were going to court on the27 but how do i need to approach things when i go im a bit concerned about costs ect is it likely the court will just let us pay it off with out giving on attachment of earning order ect and will this incur extra cost or will i even get to speak

fu***k em all now i feel better

the court just allows the council the right to do an attachment of earnings

it will be the council who will do the aoe

dont quote me but i believe the costs are about 80 quid

you dont normally have to go to court as these things are just rubber stamped, the summons is just a formality unless its a commital for prison

you can go to the court and defend yourself if you wish

explain to the magistrate your circumstance, they are human to

but thats not done these days

At the court the magistrate will grant the Liability Order inabsentia - of a court run of say a 1000 cases we would probably get 30 attending court.

You can go in front of the magistrate but the magistrate is only able to rule on whether you are the person who is liable for the council tax and that you have been summonsed correctly. At this stage the council cannot order the council to accept any particular payment arrangement or method.

Once the Liability Order is granted then the council are given the power to issue an attachment or earnings/benefit or issue the account to a bailiff. The issuing of the L/O gives the council the power to issue take these actions without any further application to the court.

The costs to the council are covered in the costs charged to issue the L/O - they can't extra fees for issuing an attachment order.

thanks for the above when i go to the court will it be decided then and there what action is taken or do they decide at a later date I'm just a bit concerned if i don't go i will be a bit out of the loop if you know what i mean(not that it looks like Ive got any control over what happens any way)I'm going to send of my income/expenditure sheet and offer of payments

how will what i put down on these affect the out come.which method they choose to collect the money the wife's scared there going to send the bailiffs round is the attachment of earnings the most likely as I'm in employment or if i show i can pay in a reasonable time are thy likely to let me do that

fu***k em all now i feel better