• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Seawall vs RBOS

seawall
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6332 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I previously posted a few messages under 'Here I go'. To recap, I have sent off my DPA request to the bank. the bank have coincidentally handed the account to Intrum Justicia.

I have attempted to open another current account over the last few months, with the Abbey (with whom I have had a savings account for over 20 years) and with the Nationwide. Both declined me. Does anyone have any any suggestions as to any bank who would at least offer some sort of basic account?

I am having to operate on the savings account using Counter Cheques, and this involves a 25 mile round trip each time I need to do it.

Prelim letter sent to RBoS 8/8/06 letter passed to another department...and Tommy fob off arrived

LBA sent 29/8/06 £2646.64 claimed - no reply

Claim entered 26/09/06 £2716 + interest. Not acknowledged so Judgment requested 17/10/06

Judgment in default 28/10/06:lol:

Cheque finally arrived 24/11/06, ring Group Litigation on a daily basis - you know it makes sense...:D

GE Money prelims sent for ERCs and charges on 2 accounts 18/10/06

LBAs on 2 accounts sent 5/11/2006

2nd claim against RBoS in 10/11/06, with threat of compounded contractual interest, c'mon now, concentrate...

Early days yet, obviously, so I have not had a reply to my DPA letter yet. I think that the RBS has issued a default notice against me over my account as well, but that can be dealt with in due course.

Someone from Intrum Justicia rang me at work today, so I told him that I was looking into the charges that had been levied on my account. he asked me to put something in writing. I sent them this...

Dear Sirs

Following the telephone conversation with one of your representatives today, please note the following:

I am currently assessing whether there are recoverable charges on my account with the abovementioned bank. Should this prove to be the case, they will be given the opportunity to refund me accordingly.

This being the case, I will not be entertaining any further communication with your company, and I suggest that you refer the matter back to the Royal Bank of Scotland.

I think that this does the job with them. Any comments or adivice, as usual, appreciated

Prelim letter sent to RBoS 8/8/06 letter passed to another department...and Tommy fob off arrived

Claim entered 26/09/06 £2716 + interest. Not acknowledged so Judgment requested 17/10/06

Cheque finally arrived 24/11/06, ring Group Litigation on a daily basis - you know it makes sense...:D

2nd claim against RBoS in 10/11/06, with threat of compounded contractual interest, c'mon now, concentrate...

Guest BlueRuby
Does anyone have any any suggestions as to any bank who would at least offer some sort of basic account? quote]

Have you tried NatWest? They do a Step Account (basic).

Staggeringly, the bank statements arrived in the post today, only 8 days after I posted the DPA letter. However, pages 1-13 are missing, although at present they are not pertinent, dating from 1999 or before. Busy with the highlighter tomorrow....

Pages 2-13 of my statements arrived today under in a separate package. Odd. Doing the calculations now.

A couple of questions for anyone else tackling RBoS. Maintenance charges on Royalties accounts, do you think that they can be counted in? In sure that Referral charges certainly apply. What is your view?

Preliminary letter has now been sent to the bank, suggesting that they owe me £2646 and change. Awaiting their reply.

Hi seawall

reply to post 6

RBoS bank charges

royalties gold account service charge

was £9 then £10 now £12

YOU CAN'T CLAIM THESE

the account overlimit charge is sometimes mixed in with these

was £15 then £20 now £28

so if the account charge in the early days was £24

this will be £9+£15

or account charge £30....£10 + £20

or account charge £40....£12 + £28

Only claim the "excess" (15,20,28 )

you can also claim (obviously) referal charges £30 and dd refusals £38

these are the latest charges, other older ones will be noted on your statements.

rgds

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Thanks Davefirewalker, this was what I thought based on a previous posting of yours on another thread. My prelim letter to them has reflected these charges, although if it actually gets as far as court action (probably!) I will also have to calculate the excess interest that all of their charges incurred on the account.

I seem to be having two separate correspondences with RBoS now. This claim, and rather belatedly Credit Management Services who seem to have taken an interest in actually corresponding with me, but this is certainly coincidental.

They have also set Intrum Justicia on to me, and they in turn have let Geoffrey Parker Bourne solicitors loose.

oh my god......

if the account is in dispute... as it is,.... tell them to go away until the court action has finalised.

then you can work out a strategy

good luck

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Thanks once again. I will write to the solicitors in question telling them that. My Prelim letter has been referred to Credit Management services as well, who have then passed it on to Customer Relations.

I think I know roughly what to expect next....

Does anyone on the board have copies of RBoS charges from 2000 to the present? Davefirewalker kindly provided some info on these, with which I concur, but I will give you my service charge advice from Dec.2004 as a case in point.

Maintenance charge £28.00 (probably £18.00 claimable)

Plus a fee of £15.00 (what's this?)

Service charge to be applied £43.00

The of course the is the overdraft interest on top of this, and by then it could be argued that my overdraft was entirely comprised of previously levied unlawful charges....

If this has been dealt with in another thread could you kindly direct me to it. I have reached the point where a LBA is due, and I want this to be as accurate as possible now. thanks for reading this.

Sent LBA on 29/08 by recorded delivery. Reply to prelim. letter had indicated that I would receive a reply within 10 days, but I'm trying to stick to my schedule now, not theirs.

Intrum Justicia's solicitors seem to have beaten a retreat now, their reply suggesting that at present they 'are not being instructed'...

It looks as though my LBA got held up due to the unofficial postal strike in this area. I guess that I will have tp play fair, and start the clock ticking from when the recorded delivery actually gets to them.

Hi seawall

with regard to post 12 the £15 looks like an "overlimit" charge, difficult to be sure without seeing the statements, I'd claim it anyway.

Ive just had an offer from tommy straight in at £3.5k from a claim of £5k +£1.2k interest :-) I have of course refused this. It looks like they are now caving in all over the place

Dave

Thanks again Dave. I wish I had held on to the leaflets detailing charges that they used to inundate me with, but this mob have literally reduced me to tears over the years and I threw away lots of stuff before I came across this site. I got to the stage where I could not open envelopes from the RBoS, how sad is that?

I presume that I will still have a couple of weeks before the inevitable claim has to go in. If I cannot absolutely nail these few debatable charges I will leave them out, with a view to claiming again at a later date. Like a few others on here I also have charges that are more than six years old, and I will certainly consider going after those as well.

Ive been at the hiding from envelopes stage too ( a few times ), but this site has given me the confidence to take almost anything on. I cant wait for the mail to come now...... :-)

I wonder how long it will be before I get my full payout ? my missus has spent it already :-(

Dave

Am now the proud recipient of a Tommy McLean 'on yer bike' letter, this presumably in response to my prelim. They took so long in answering that - not helped by the postal strike in the West Country - that I have already sent off my LBA.

Further complication now - as of 8th September the bloody Post Office had still not delivered my LBA, sent 1st class recorded delivery. Queried this on the phone and was airily dismissed with 'ring back next week, we allow up to 15 days for delivery'. It would have been quicker to have got sponsorship and walked up there to deliver it personally. Will probably send off a copy of the LBAwith a covering letter on Monday, unless anyone suggests otherwise

I would suggest you don't use Recorded Delivery for these kind of letters in future - there really is no need to use it - an ordinary First Class stamp will suffice. And sometimes it causes problems such as this - your letter probably has been delivered but they just can't confirm it which often happens when they are sent to large organisations like this.

Incidentally, I doubt very much that they said they allow 15 days for delivery - what they probably said was that the letter wouldn't be classed as a 'lost' item until after 15 working days have passed. Big difference.

Anyway, in summary - don't use Recorded Delivery!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hmm, I thought that the received wisdom was to use recorded delivery, but never mind. It turned out that it had actually been delivered, so now the clock is ticking. Given the delay caused by the postal strike, deadline is now 22nd September.

The deeply unlovely Intrum Justicia have taken to phoning me at work, which probably constitutes harassment. Will be looking for a suitable template to warn them off of this. The latest flunky to phone did seem rather taken aback by the notion that I might be prepared to take the RBoS to court though, until he got back on track and resumed the low level abuse.

OK. Over 14 days have now passed since the RBoS received my LBA, and as of yesterday have not even had a response to it. So this weekend I will be sorting out the court claim.

I still have a slight problem with the Royalties charges that I need to subtract from the overall account charge each month. If anyone has the dates that they raised the Royalties charges over the last six years, or if it has been posted anywhere on here I would be very grateful.

At this stage I dont want to screw things up, or give Cobblers any ammunition.

To be on the safe side I will have to leave anything contentious out.

Looks like the claim will be in the area of 2.5K plus interest, so look forward to being able to contribute to this wonderful site at the end of the process. Thanks.

Claim entered today for £2716 plus interest. Would love to see the reaction when that arrives in the post at my branch.

Several developments.

1. Notice of issue has arrived, so the RBoS now have something else to add to their small but growing pile to potential misery.

2. In the same post a tardy reply to my LBA arrived from Tommy Mac, offering £1876 full and final as a gesture of goodwill. He is obviously not yet aware that a claim has been issued, so I will reply drawing his attention to this, and accepting said amount as an interim payment.

I don't know if anyone else is having problems with the step by step instruction page, I just get the following message:

'No thread specified. If you followed a valid link please contact the administrator'. And yes I have.