Mackenzie Hall

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5798 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

These people have been chasing me for the last few years regarding a debt they say that I owe to Lloyds credit card. I asked MH to supply me with the info regarding during ine of their rants and they said they would get it to me as they wanted their cash. I then rang Lloyds and they told me not to pay the amount until I had clarification from them or MH.

This was about 3 months back and have heard nothing but I know that MH will be ringing me soon as they are a right pain. Every time I try to reason them they go off on one so I just hang up. What should I say next time they ring?

Any advice would be appreciated.

For a start tell them that you will only communicate with them in writing and that they are to cease any further attempts at telephone contact. If they refuse tell them that you will refer them to Trading Standards and that you know that they have had some issues with TS recently.

Use the CCA letter to demand a signed copy of the original credit agreement and see what happens.

• 2 months later...

Hello, just been sent the MacKenzie Hall "We are attempting to contact the above named person regarding a personal matter" letter.

Probably like a lot of people was tempted to call in to have a go and give them the whole 6 years thing (the only debt it could be is circa 1996). But thanks to this site had second thoughts a put the letter in it's correct place, the bin.

Anyway just wondering if anyone knows how MH generate these letters and where they source there info from?

Reason I ask if that I normally reside overseas and in the last 8 years have only returned to the UK for more than a visit (ie for 6months plus) on 2 occassions and it just seems that each time I do return I get the same letter. Possible a coincidence, or maybe something more sinister?

(Posted in other MH threads)

Don't get involved in conversations with Mackenzie Hall. Write to them and say you will only deal with them in writing. Ask them to remove your telephone number from their database, which they are obliged to do under Data protection regulations. Ask them for a copy of deed of assignment (ie proof of their right to collect). We did this just over a month ago (thanks to advice from this forum) having suffered verbal abuse, Mr Kennedy demanding money with menaces, constant telephone calls and official looking letters. So far all has gone quiet. Have we won or is this the lull before the storm? Don't really think the latter. Mack Hall tried to get a warrant based on an old court judgement and whilst they charged us for the priviledge, the application was rejected by the local court (it pays to check).

We have done the 'I am familiar with the terms of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act etc' and in response in one call from Mr Kennedy he assured me that Mack Hall did everything they could to conform to the letters of the law. Yet only the week before in a telephone conversation (before I joined the forum and got wise) he had foul mouthed me and my husband saying that people like us were 'the **** of the earth'; that if we involved third parties in our dispute we would end up with egg on our faces, that he would personally add extra charges and interest to the account and make it impossible for us to ever repay the debt unless we paid £XXX. We did make one payment and then Mack Hall are saying they never received it (cash payment to Royal Bank of Scotland to their account, paying in slip retained).

Don't be intimidated by this company. They are bully boys (and girls).

Can Any One Give Me The Telephone Number Or Address For Mackenzie As I Have Been Paying A Debt Back But Have No Idea How Much Is Left To Pay, If Any, As They Don't Send Statements Or Anything.

Hope You Can Help And Give Any Advice.

Don't phone them! Write to them and tell them they are obliged to send regular statements. Don't phone them! If they don't send you the statements, or they claim they don't have to, send them a CCA letter and then wait. Don't phone them! After the statutory period is up and you're still waiting for the details tell them they are in default and stop paying. Don't phone them! But do report them to OFT. Oh and don't phone them!

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, had problems with MH and never heard of them since until last Thursday now they wont leave me alone and ring me everyday! Harrassment or what? I am going to write and complain.

They have threatened me last week with baliffs etc and I understand they would have to go to court first however someone just knocked on my door saying he was doing a survey or something .....i said no thank you (too boring) and he then jumped into his car and drove off - NOT going to any neighbours houses - am i being paranoid? I do have a few debts with a few companies however is it there style? MH sending people in to review the situation or whatever he was doing. I may be barking up the wrong tree but its worrying isnt it? I cant live like this. Its an unsecured debt for godsake - help can anyone advise?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I am in need of advice. I received a letter middle of last year from Mackenzie Hall asking me to contact them on a personal matter. I checked them out on the web and found this sight. I decided to ignore the letter from the information I had read. I have this week received a letter demanding payment of an outstanding debt, I do not and have never had a bad debt, they said they were acting on behalf of Cabot Financial, who they said had made repeated requests for payment, I have not received any requests. They have made me a Reduced Settlement offer of £262.58 instead of £437.64!! If I do not pay they have threatened Court action, Bailiffs Bankruptcy!! Should I just ignore this letter as well, I am reluctant to contact them as I have read various accounts of harrassment on this site. What should I do?

This is bluff and bluster on behalf of MHall. (Judging from the activity on this site it would seem the monkeys employed by this firm have been jumpstarted this New Year.)

They cannot go for bankruptcy for a debt of less than £750. It would, in any event, cost them about £1,500 and they would be unlikey to get that back, ever.

They are unlikely to go to court because they normally don't have the documents to prove the debt. No proof = no debt.

You ignored these muppets last year and their response was to offer you a reduced deal. Big deal. Ignore them again. They won't go away but you can rest assurred that no further action will be taken.

To be on the safe side though check your credit files. If MHall or Cabot have placed any infornmation that is wrong on there, or have registered a default for which no debt is due, challenege the barstweards. If they can't prove the debt they should remove the information pronto. If they don't report them straight away to the Info Commissioner. Tell them (MHall and Cabot) you will start legal action for defamation if they don't. That's a bit down the line. Keep in touch

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I have had the same problems as everyone else,

i recieved a letter from MH last year claiming a debt i owed creation from 1999 and i stupidly contacted them. I know nothing about this debt and have never had a store card in my life which is what this debt is for apparantly. When i explained this on the phone the lady put the phone down on me (at least she was'nt verbally abusive as most people seem to get!). Since then i have recieved 2 of there postcards saying payment must be made or futher action will be taken.

I have sent them the standard letter requesting the original documents with a £1 po and suprise suprise have got nothing back but have got more of there circular postcards.

Now although i could ignore these and probably never pay the debt without any futher action been taken (as 1. it is not my debt but i do not know how to prove it! and 2. they have not supplied the original document so can not proceed legally) i am worried about what my credit rating will be if they still have this on there records as i am going for a mortage this year. Any advise?

Hi I have had the same problems as everyone else,

i recieved a letter from MH last year claiming a debt i owed creation from 1999 and i stupidly contacted them. I know nothing about this debt and have never had a store card in my life which is what this debt is for apparantly. When i explained this on the phone the lady put the phone down on me (at least she was'nt verbally abusive as most people seem to get!). Since then i have recieved 2 of there postcards saying payment must be made or futher action will be taken.

I have sent them the standard letter requesting the original documents with a £1 po and suprise suprise have got nothing back but have got more of there circular postcards.

Now although i could ignore these and probably never pay the debt without any futher action been taken (as 1. it is not my debt but i do not know how to prove it! and 2. they have not supplied the original document so can not proceed legally) i am worried about what my credit rating will be if they still have this on there records as i am going for a mortage this year. Any advise?

You should report their failure to comply with the CCA request to Trading Standards. You should also mention the continued harassment.

Ask TS what they intend to do about it. If they do nothing ask them again and say that if they don't take action you will speak to your local councillor and (most importantly) make a formal complaint first through the council's own procedures and then to the local government ombudsman. You may need to get a bit stroppy to actually get them to do something. It all depends on your council.

You should also get hold of your credit reference file and check that nothing has been recorded there.

• Confused 1

Getting stressed is part of the process MHall and other debt collectors use to extract money from the ir "clients".

Don't let it worry you. Take the moral high ground, especially if do not recognise this debt as being yours.

You have CCA'd this excuse of a company and they have failed to reply. Start putting some pressure on them by complaining loudly and persistently to those who could do something about it. Trading standards is one course. The Office of Fair Trading is another. If they continue to demand money without proviiding proof and you know this debt isn't yours consider going to the police. Demanding money in this way could be looked upon as attempting to obtain property (money in this case) by deception. The bobbies, like all these agencies, are duty bound to investigate. If they don't ask why not.

If you make enough noise MHall won't be able to run away from you fast enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Just joined this site this morning so haven't had time to read all about this "Company"(?), but I would like to share my experience with you all.

My son has received (yet another) letter from M.H. addressed to Mrs Janet Lloyd.

With the first one he thought it was a spelling mistake so forwarded it on to me, although he couldn't understand how it had arrived at his home. I have never lived at his place or even near to where he lives. In fact I have only visited his place once as I now live abroad. As his house is a New Build it couldn't even be that the previous tenant was a Mrs Lloyd. My mother (his grandmother) was Janet but she was not a Lloyd. My name is Mrs J. Lloyd but not Janet.

To the best of my knowledge I have no unpaid debts in England other than the ones I am in the process of paying off with agreements from the companies invovled.

I have advised him to return any further correspondence from M.H. marked with something like "This Letter Is Classed As Harressment. Legal Action Will Be Taken". I have also advised him to talk to Citizens Advice.

Is this the correct way to go about things? Is there any other advice I should give him?

Regards Krazey

Hi

Just joined this site this morning so haven't had time to read all about this "Company"(?), but I would like to share my experience with you all.

My son has received (yet another) letter from M.H. addressed to Mrs Janet Lloyd.

With the first one he thought it was a spelling mistake so forwarded it on to me, although he couldn't understand how it had arrived at his home. I have never lived at his place or even near to where he lives. In fact I have only visited his place once as I now live abroad. As his house is a New Build it couldn't even be that the previous tenant was a Mrs Lloyd. My mother (his grandmother) was Janet but she was not a Lloyd. My name is Mrs J. Lloyd but not Janet.

To the best of my knowledge I have no unpaid debts in England other than the ones I am in the process of paying off with agreements from the companies invovled.

I have advised him to return any further correspondence from M.H. marked with something like "This Letter Is Classed As Harressment. Legal Action Will Be Taken". I have also advised him to talk to Citizens Advice.

Is this the correct way to go about things? Is there any other advice I should give him?

Regards Krazey

I think, what may work here is..

Tell your son to go to the post office with the mac hall card and ask them to stop delivering mail for that name to his address as no-one of that name has ever lived at that address. Stress that it is only the name printed on that card he wants to stop.

I had to do this a couple of years back and the post office did it without any problems.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD ANY OF YOU TELEPHONE MAC HALL.

Hope this helps

Hi all,

Further to my post of last November http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/49567-mackenzie-hall-again-not.html advising of a "Redcard" received relating to a debt of an old friend of mine, I have today (10/02/07) received a letter basically threatening legal action and with a Standing Order attachment asking for payment at £25 a month to settle the debt and avoid any further action.

The letter is as follows:

Addressed to our Friend's name

at our address.

Dated 7th Feb 2007 (But received on the 10th of Feb giving only 4 days until 14th Feb to avoid further action, which I suspect is another dodgy tactic by this vile company)

It reads:

Welcome - *** -v- Friends name

Account Reference: Number given. Principal Sum: £Amount stated

We wrote to you last week advising you that Litigation Proceedings would be taken against you for the recovery of the above unpaid account. (At this point I should state that this is the first letter I have received since the "Red Card" in November 2006) We advised you that failure to pay could result in Seizure of Assets, Arrestment of Wages or Bankruptcy (if applicable). To date, we have received no payment.

However, even at this late stage, our client will accept the Principal Amount to be paid by monthly instalments providing the enclosed Standing Order is completed, signed and returned to Mackenzie Hall by noon 14th February 2007. If the Standing Order form is not returned by this date, Legal Action will be taken without any notice and costs will be added to your account.

It then goes on to show the Standing Order mandate with the payments I noted going straight to Mackenzie Hall.

On the advice received previously, some of which suggested getting in touch with MH to tell them it wasn't my debt and others suggesting I had no contact whatsoever with the company, I decided to totally ignore the "Redcard", I did not contact MH and had not heard another thing from them until this letter arrived today. I have deliberately refrained from putting any real reference numbers or figures in this post that could identify the letter or debt as I have no doubt that this vile outfit probably scour forums looking for just such information to help them "win their case".

I just need further advice now on what to do at this stage? Do I just carry on as before and ignore the letter completely or do I use their enclosed Business Reply Envelope (2nd Class I noted obviously for the standing order to be returned in!) to send them a letter at their own cost stating that this debt is not mine.

I am personally of the view that I should carry on as before and totally ignore them, then in maybe in another four months time I might get a knock at the door whereby I can tell them in person that the person they are after no longer lives here and they can now **** off and leave us alone!

Do you think this is just another "phising" letter to try and recover the debt and find out if the debtor is at the address they have on file, which I can assure you they no longer are and have not been for at least 10 months.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Its been sent to your friend at your address. The letter sent last week never happened. They will never take legal action because a judge would wipe the floor with them and they know this. I would ignore them.

But complain to the OFT and the Info Commissioner and qwuestion their fitness to be licensed by these two bodies. Neither may do anything because of your complaint but pressure tells and one more complaint added to the pyre can only be a good thing.

• 5 months later...

i recieved a letter today from mh stating...

we are attemting to contact the above named person regarding a personal matter.

we have been provided your address as being the possible residential details for our subject..

therefore if you are the person named above, then please contact our office IMMEDIATELY on telephone number 01563 554782 quoting reference number ......... where upon further detailed information can be provided.

if however yor are not the person named above and/or have any information regarding the persons possible whereabouts, then please contact our investigation team in confidence on the alternative number or email address below

subject not known / goneaway 01563 554 784

[email protected]

we look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible

yours sincerely

chris fox

1. the address they have is my fathers address, which is the address i reside at..

2. the name they have is correct...

3. i might have a few unpaid debts but they from about 5-6 years ago but they not with mh. its been so longthat ive forgotten who i owe the money to... i havnt recieved a letter from any sort of debt collecting agency in the last five years...

i would appreciate it if someone told me what to do.... thank you very much

Hi asda,

MH are a debt collection agency so you wouldn't original have taken out a debt with them. They either buy debts or collect on behalf of the original creditor.

I think the best thing for you to do is start your own thread on this, that way you will get more support and your posts won't get lost in this thread.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi have only just signed up today and it seems I am having the same problem as a lot of you.

My husband has today recieved a letter from MH stating that if the person named above is at this address to phone them and they will give us the detailed information relating to the letter.

As far as we are aware we only have one debt and we are making payements towards that.

Could someone please tell me what I should do, Should I ring them?

Thanks for your help

Louise :???:

Should I ring them?

No. Do not phone them. If you look around this forum you will see that advice reiterated time and time again.

Just file the letter, DCA's are known to send blanket letters to people who have the same name as someone they are chasing for a debt.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.