Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Dec 2008

Default RBS have withdrawn my overdraft without warning

I went to the cash machine for a mini statement today to check if a cheque had cleared, only to find that my available balance said NIL.

When I enquired about it in the branch, I was told that when I first got the overdraft as a student several years ago, an expiry date had been placed on the overdraft and their central office had now applied this.
    I was told that I would have to appeal and reapply for the overdraft and as I now get my wages paid elsewhere, i would need to provide payslips which I will do tomorrow.

My question really is, given my credit file isn't good at the moment (I have a CCJ and a default from 3 years ago, plus electoral roll address accuracy problems) are they likely to reinstate the overdraft or will they just attempt to ride me for bank charges?

Default Re: RBS have withdrawn my overdraft without warning

Quote Originally Posted by Vashda Nerada View Post
    I went to the cash machine for a mini statement today to check if a cheque had cleared, only to find that my available balance said NIL.

When I enquired about it in the branch, I was told that when I first got the overdraft as a student several years ago, an expiry date had been placed on the overdraft and their central office had now applied this.
    I was told that I would have to appeal and reapply for the overdraft and as I now get my wages paid elsewhere, i would need to provide payslips which I will do tomorrow.

My question really is, given my credit file isn't good at the moment (I have a CCJ and a default from 3 years ago, plus electoral roll address accuracy problems) are they likely to reinstate the overdraft or will they just attempt to ride me for bank charges?
    It is unlikely(in relation to your question re riding you) but do you pay into the account regularly?

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by yourbank View Post
    It is unlikely(in relation to your question re riding you) but do you pay into the account regularly?
    Yep, I get my child benefit paid in to the account 4 weekly.

I'm just having nightmares here that involve an overdraft I'll never be able to clear with tons of charges being added every month.

Yep, I get my child benefit paid in to the account 4 weekly.

I'm just having nightmares here that involve an overdraft I'll never be able to clear with tons of charges being added every month.
    I wouldn't and if need be argue that the bank made an error putting an end date on the overdraft since normally it would be until further notice even on student accounts.

Basic Account Holder

I got it changed from a student account when I started working anyway so I thought the overdraft would just run until paid off, but according to them RBSicon always put an overdraft expiry date on with student accounts.

I got it changed from a student account when I started working anyway so I thought the overdraft would just run until paid off, but according to them RBSicon always put an overdraft expiry date on with student accounts.
    Hmm, they mean graduate account and that isn't the case usually since the overdraft(interest free bit) SHOULD decreas over time.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details