• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Do RBS Hardship cases works?

lozzzy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5390 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Afternoon All,

After watching the good old GMTV and Martin Lewis today on tv, i understand that some people have been sucessful recently in claiming back bank charges as they have a case for hardship.

I just wondered if anyone of you have experience of this?

I wrote to RBS once before and they sent me out a form to fill in but i admit i did not fill out the forms or return them as it stated that it would take my £500 overdraft off me (something which i live in lol.)

Anyone got any advice or have done this?

Please sign this petition - Asking for the government to drop the length of time credit ref agencies can hold data on us!!

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/CreditRA/

:smile::p:rolleyes:

Afternoon All,

After watching the good old GMTV and Martin Lewis today on tv, i understand that some people have been sucessful recently in claiming back bank charges as they have a case for hardship.

I just wondered if anyone of you have experience of this?

I wrote to RBS once before and they sent me out a form to fill in but i admit i did not fill out the forms or return them as it stated that it would take my £500 overdraft off me (something which i live in lol.)

Anyone got any advice or have done this?

I have seen a lot of success on hardship. You need to fill in that income and expenditure form and send it back in.

Do you have priority debt arrears(mortgage/rent, council tax, utilities)?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

I've got the full set but only my utilities is very much in arears, but the gas people have signed me up to a discount scheme cause 10% of my wage goes on Gas/Elec so would this go against me?

Please sign this petition - Asking for the government to drop the length of time credit ref agencies can hold data on us!!

Hey, For anyone reading this, i got this information regarding hardship charges off Bank Charges Hardship: How to reclaim NOW, inc free template letters...

This, of course, is the nub of the article. To have your case heard, you need to fulfil the Financial Services Authority’s official definition:

“A complainant is considered to be in financial difficulty when his or her income is insufficient to cover reasonable living expenses and meet financial commitments as they become due.”

This means when you can’t afford commitments such as utility bills, rent and council tax, or if you’re struggling to repay debts such as your mortgage or credit card.

That definition is quite general. But if it sounds like it applies, to find out if you fit one of the FSA’s specific examples, it’s important to go through its official hardship guidance below. Yet sometimes it’s not exactly in plain English, so we’ve added a ‘translation’ to each.

arrow.gif Are items repeatedly being returned unpaid due to lack of available funds?

Translation: Do your payments regularly bounce?
    arrow.gif Are you failing to make loan repayments or other commitments?

Translation: When you can’t afford mortgage, loan or credit card repayments.
    arrow.gif Is there a discontinuation of regular credits?

Translation: Do you no longer have money coming in, or regular income, such as when you lose your job? (See the full Redundacy Guide for hints and tips if you have lost your job).
    arrow.gif Is there a notification of some form of insolvency or court proceedings?

Translation: Are you going bankrupt or getting an IVA (see the IVA guide)?
    arrow.gif Are there regular requests for increased borrowing or repeated rescheduling of debts?

Translation: Are you living off credit, struggling to repay it and regularly needing to increase credit limits? Or do you have a special debt payment plan in place with lenders as you can’t afford repayments at the usual rate?
    arrow.gif Do you make frequent credit card cash withdrawals at non-promotional rates?

Translation: Self explanatory. However, if you’re taking cash out on a credit card, the interest rate is hideous and it usually indicates a problem.
    arrow.gif Do you repeatedly exceed your credit card or overdraft limit without agreement?

Translation: Self explanatory. It then goes on to say that “where a complainant has incurred over £500 in unauthorised overdraft charges in the previous 12 months, that is to be treated as indicative of financial difficulty”.
    This is interesting. It effectively means if you get over £500 of bank charges each year then, almost by definition, you’re in financial hardship. Many with large claims will be in this boat.

In addition, if you’re on benefits, it’s highly questionable whether banks should be effectively reducing your benefit income by charging you. It is not illegal for banks to take charges from your benefit income, though it can be illegal to deduct some other charges from benefit income.

If this applies, either alongside or separately from the other points above, tell your bank you are living on benefits and ask that it considers your complaint now.

Your bank should help

Importantly, banks are supposed to conduct a filtering process to ensure cases of genuine hardship are heard during the waiver period. Though it’s also important to argue your case and explain that you’re in financial hardship and that your case should be dealt with now.

If you have a basic bank account this could help your case, as these are generally intended for those with financial problems.

Proving you’re in hardship

For most people it shouldn’t be a problem as the bank will ask you to fill in a form and it’ll be obvious if you fit the criteria. Yet as a back-up, once you have tried the suggestions in this guide, the non-profit debt counseling service the CCCS (Consumer Credit Counselling Service) can look at your circumstances and make an independent decision whether it thinks you meet the financial difficulties criteria.

If you do, it will provide a letter for you to forward to your bank. While this isn’t guaranteed to change your bank’s mind, it may help.

To get it to look at your case, call 0800 138 1111 (Mon-Fri 8am-8pm) and say you are hoping to reclaim your bank charges under the financial hardship criteria. An adviser will book you an appointment with a trained counsellor who will help you complete a full financial statement and discuss whether you meet the hardship criteria.

I'm natweststaffmember on their reclaims forums so I kinda know what Martin has written and furthermore know that the reality is slightly different.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Hi Yourbank, thank you for that. I'm not going to get my hopes up on this one, but i'll give it a try and see it through.

thanks for the input