Insurance claim question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5424 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Afternoon all,

My wife went into our garage this morning to find that it had sprung a leak.

Unfortunately, this is where I keep all my, (relatively), expensive PA equipment, (for the record this is personal and not busiiness stuff, I have an interest in sound recording and PA and have accrued various bits and pieces over the years), and a lot of it has become somewhat sodden. I've yet to go home and assess the damage.

Our house is rented but we have our own contents policy with NU whom I have contacted and they tell me that, in general, the garage is covered as an outbuilding.

I know a little about insurance and i'm concerned about proximate cause. i.e. the fact that the garage roof, (apparently), leaked and caused the damage to equipment. Therefore, are the insurance company going to insist that I use my landlords' building cover rather than pay out themselves?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

P.S. I've had two claims I didn't follow through in the last 8 years, firstly for a camera which failed as it wasn't insured outside the house(!) and secondly for a PC my three year old gave orange juice to. I cancelled that claim when they told me I would be without it for up to 8 weeks while they attempted to repair it, (I managed it myself with a £90 motherboard). I don't know if this is relevant.

Smile:-The Ethical Bank:- Settled July 2006

HSBC:- Pre-lim sent 09/10/2006

LBA sent:-26/10/2006

Court papers issued:- 13/11/2006

Citifinancial/DLC:- Ongoing since 21st August. Now part of an OFT investigation into Debt Collection Practices.

I am only a Doctor of Love NOT Law. Don't blame me if me advice goes belly up!

:D (I will try to help all the same)

If i've helped, use the scales at the top to tell me how great I am!

The landlords insurance will deal with the buildings damage and not your contents, unless the landlord was negligent.

Your contents insurance will be responsible for the damage to your PA equipment.

Can you confirm whether the garage is attached to the your home?

I'm currently having a mind block, but I think I'm right in saying that a garage attached to the premises is not considered a outbuilding and therefore does not get affected by the limits associated to them.

What policy do you have?