• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Refusal of Hardship Claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5411 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice/plan of action.

I had charges of £190 on my RBS account on one day in late October - the smallest d/d returned unpaid was £1.94, the largest £20.00. I am in receipt of benefits (Incapacity Benefit/Child Tax Credit) and I'm a single parent (not through choice!). Anyway, with the charges taken out of my account it left me with £7.00 for a fortnight :(.

I used a template letter from MoneySavingExpert website and sent it off to RBS as I thought the charges were excessive for the amounts involved. I heard nothing until March, when they sent me a Customer Financial Statement, which I duly filled in and returned Recorded Delivery. My finances leave me with £10 and a few pence spare per month. A letter from RBS today says that as my money covers all my outgoings then I do not fall into the Hardship category. I'm shocked that as Benefits are my only source of income at present that they do not consider this to be the case.

I'm thinking of appealing, but unsure how to go about it and would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks for reading this. Sorry I went on a bit!

Best wishes,

I'd tell them you're going to the FOS if they don't reconsider. The FOS have been quite quick with my claim so far. I wasn't even trying under a hardship claim but because I mentioned I'm on a DMP they've treated it as a hardship case.

Hi there,

I had charges of £190 on my RBS account on one day in late October - the smallest d/d returned unpaid was £1.94, the largest £20.00. I am in receipt of benefits (Incapacity Benefit/Child Tax Credit) and I'm a single parent (not through choice!). Anyway, with the charges taken out of my account it left me with £7.00 for a fortnight :(.

I used a template letter from MoneySavingExpert website and sent it off to RBS as I thought the charges were excessive for the amounts involved. I heard nothing until March, when they sent me a Customer Financial Statement, which I duly filled in and returned Recorded Delivery. My finances leave me with £10 and a few pence spare per month. A letter from RBS today says that as my money covers all my outgoings then I do not fall into the Hardship category. I'm shocked that as Benefits are my only source of income at present that they do not consider this to be the case.

I'm thinking of appealing, but unsure how to go about it and would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks for reading this. Sorry I went on a bit!

Best wishes,

If you have no priority debt arrears(mortgage/rent, council tax, utilities) then I would agree with what they have said.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

If you have no priority debt arrears(mortgage/rent, council tax, utilities) then I would agree with what they have said.

Given that Kitty La La was left with £7 to get by for a fortnight I consider that your comment is crassly insensitive at the very least. :evil:

• Haha 1

Given that Kitty La La was left with £7 to get by for a fortnight I consider that your comment is crassly insensitive at the very least.

Do you want me to lie to the OP and say they are in financial hardship without priority debt arrears?

If the OP comes back and says that they have priority debt arrears then my view will change. But if not, I stand by that viewpoint.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

I have been in a similar situation with HSBC. I have accumilated more that £500 bank charges within a year due to the reduction in my husbands hours. I contacted the bank and tried to get them to refund them, explaining that this would help prevent me going on a DMP. They still refused. I am now on a DMP and am wondering whether to contact the FOS to look into this situation further. I have no issue with the chrges being refunded to my DMP account. Does anyone think I would stand a chance with the FOS?

By the way, I have made a request to close my HSBC account but they have refused to do this which means I continue accumilating charges. They have stated that as I have a loan with them that is currently being repaid by the DMP at a reduced rate, I have to keep my account active. Is this right?

Hi there,

:eek: Does anyone realise how difficult it is to live on £7 for a fornight, especially when you're responsible for children of any age (the current age limit for CB is 19 PROVIDNG the young person is in higher education NOT further education!? Theres nothing there for emergencies etc etc. (ive been in this position)

My finances leave me with £10 and a few pence spare per month. A letter from RBS today says that as my money covers all my outgoings then I do not fall into the Hardship category. I'm shocked that as Benefits are my only source of income at present that they do not consider this to be the case.

Frankly, anyone who thinks its reasonable to be left with a little over £10 each month has never been there or has forgotten if they have. As far as Im aware, banks can use their discretion in these circumstances but you got to put up a very strong case. Especially with the RBS (b******s - dealt with them before - yuk!! :mad:)

Firstly, how many children and what ages (roughly if you prefer)

Secondly, did you include social activities within your customer financial statment? Because that is allowed you know, having had 3 of these done for me in the last year or 2.

Thirdly, change to a basic bank account to have your benefits paid in to so that they are not taken off you. That doesnt necessarily mean you have to close the one that you've got or default it (not a wise move).

Lastly, amongst your benefits do you get IS?

Im actually surprised that the bank didnt go through your CFS with you - my bank went through it over the phone with me then sent me a copy in the post. Also, I read somewhere else on the site to ask the DWP to speak to the bank BUT check it out with someone on here as its not simple (as I was informed!! :|).

Ive got a link that I can give you where you can get free advice - they helped me a treat - but I cant guarantee this is an area they deal with.

It might be an idea asking the DWP what they consider the conditions are for a hardship case.

Let us know how it goes or if you need further help.

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum

The great thing is to know when to speak and when to keep quiet.

(Seneca the Younger (attributed), Proverbs, 74)

Speech is given to many; intelligence to few - but if its well said, I said it!

:p

I am now on a DMP and am wondering whether to contact the FOS to look into this situation further. I have no issue with the chrges being refunded to my DMP account.

By the way, I have made a request to close my HSBC account but they have refused to do this which means I continue accumilating charges. They have stated that as I have a loan with them that is currently being repaid by the DMP at a reduced rate, I have to keep my account active. Is this right?

Is the DMP with them?

Do you want me to lie to the OP and say they are in financial hardship without priority debt arrears?

If the OP comes back and says that they have priority debt arrears then my view will change. But if not, I stand by that viewpoint.

It wasn't what you said, but the way that you said it that I find crass...I was under the impression that we are all friends here. A little less terse and a little more support might not go amiss next time.

It wasn't what you said, but the way that you said it that I find crass...I was under the impression that we are all friends here. A little less terse and a little more support might not go amiss next time.

What would you like me to say? Support sometimes means saying the truth no matter how hard that you might feel it to be. If the OP does not have Priority Debt arrears then the bank and the FOS will say they are not in hardship and I would agree. Have I missed something?

Ok, lets stop arguing about what was said and how it was said - its unproductive in this case. Can we be more proactive and focus on helping kitty_la_la with her problem?

Have I missed something?

Well, kitty_la_la didnt actually state whether she had arrears of any sort or not - it may be that she has and doesnt want to disclose them, nor was it stated whether this is a frequent problem - if it is a more frequent problem, then the bank should be made aware, also it was not stated if there is a an arranged overdraft facility. We have no idea how many d/d's were returned - only the total given for the charges.

'Financial Services Authority’s official definition:

“A complainant is considered to be in financial difficulty when his or her income is insufficient to cover reasonable living expenses and meet financial commitments as they become due.” '

It does not state you already have to be in debt - just whether your income is sufficient to meet '
reasonable'
living costs and financial commitments '
as they become due'

'In addition, if you’re on benefits, it’s highly questionable whether banks should be effectively reducing your benefit income by charging you. It is not illegal for banks to take charges from your benefit income, though it can be illegal to deduct some other charges from benefit income.

If this applies ... tell your bank you are living on benefits and ask that it considers your complaint now

Also, banks do have discretion, and the point is that just because they refused to consider your current situation does not mean thats the end of it. They're first response is most likely to be negative.

If you feel you really cant cope with dealing with this by yourself then contact the CCCS as they will assess you separately which may help.

most of all DO NOT GIVE UP, even if it does mean getting help from an outside agency.

I think people here can only give you more advise if you supply a lit more detail- that doesnt mean you have to reveal your soul or anything like that!! But if you want considered advice, perhaps a wee bit more detail such as (but not necessarily all):

Is this a frequent problem for you?

How many d/d's were bounced?

Are you in receipt of any amount of Income Support? That does actually make a difference.

Is it a basic or current account

Do you have an arranged overdraft facility?

Have you used their complaints proceedure?

yourbank post #3, is technically correct but in order to appeal to your banks discretion you must keep up a good dialogue with them - they are more likely to want to help in that case.

Edited by summanotre
extra info & spelling correction

Thanks, that is where I was going and RBS/NatWest do tend to be paying out mostly on priority debt arrears so until we know more, it is difficult to advise further.

Hmm...Ive always been wary of DMP's but thats by the by ....May I ask if you still have your income paid into the HSBC or have you opened a new account as Payplan suggest?

In any case, its seems completely unreasonable to me that they continue to add charges to your account despite notifying them of your arrangements?

Did you put your request in writing detailing you DMP? If you have, then the next thing you should do is put a complaint in writing - I say that because the FOS prefer if you have done that first - and it means youve covered your basis. Ive read HSBC's 'how to complain' at the end of their banking terms & conditions (both my sons are with HSBC so I have copies of HSBC's regs & changes etc). The complaints procedure instructions are extremely vague IMHO, they dont indicate timescales or anything - just that they will rectify things asap.

If you've already gone throught their complaints procedure, I would approach the FOS for advice.

If not, then complain & keep payplan in the loop - might be worth asking them for advice first?

Hello

and a big thank you to everyone who took the time to look at my post. I'm sorry I haven't been on here since - using a friend's internet access.

To answer a few of the questions, I have one 17month old boy, but at the time of the bank charges he was 10 months old. It was very distressing to be left with the £7.00 as it left next to nothing to feed him with (I do now receive Healthy Start vouchers but didn't at the time). My grandmother did infact help me out financially and I'm very lucky she did, however it's somewhat embarrassing having to ask your 86year old Nan to lend you money when you're a grown up 38!

I do not have any debts or arrears save for an overpayment of Housing Benefit which I pay back at £20 a fortnight. Prior to these charges my account had been in good order for at least 4 years, and only back then did I get the occasional charge (maybe 1 or 2 a year). They took all the direct debits on the same day - they were from PayPal and there was no specific date that PayPal took them, just as and when I bought something, but on this occasion I'd bought a number of items in around 1 week and they saved them up and requested them in a bunch. Yes, I should have kept a closer eye on my account and since this happened I do. I am able to access my account balance online or through my mobile phone. So I have learnt my lesson at least. It was just the shock of the charges being taken out on one day and the fact that in one instance a d/d of £1.94 incurred a charge of £38.00!

My first reaction on receiving the letter saying I did not qualify under the Hardship criteria was one of disbelief and a little anger, although I did restrain myself from phoning them. I'm thinking maybe I should ring them though and ask for it to be reconsidered, given that at the time I was left with just the £7.00 for a fortnight, and the fact that I manage my money carefully now, doesn't alter the fact that the taking of these charges did indeed leave me in severe financial hardship.

Worth a try?

Many thanks to you all

Best wishes,

K

Benefits received are: Incapacity Benefit (higher rate); child tax credit (also higher rate) and the standard child benefit.

Edited by kitty_la_la
extra info

kitty_la_la, do not phone them. Put everything in writing. If you look around this site you will see how often this advice is given (& not always with regards to DCA'S).

Personally I would write for a complete copy of their compaints proceedure and their criteria for hardship cases.

Once you have those, you can make an informed decision as to whether or not you want to make a complaint and if it warrants further consideration using help from an outside organisation such as the CCCS.

Edited by summanotre
grammar

• 4 weeks later...

i cant believe the banks think anyone can live on £7 for a fortnight and isnt in hardship. to be honest I dont give a toss about my debts. They cant have what I havent got but i just want to be able to feed my kids properly and buy them decent shoes. my sister gives me her kids old clothes so i can clothe them but i cant use worn out shoes on them.

This may help a bit if you want to appeal back to the bank.

V) firms to provide a range of measures to support customers and to treat them positively and sympathetically

nb2)firms are also refered to sections 14.2 and 14.3 of the guidance to the banking code.

these might include: help and guidance about dealing with fd and avoiding charges; suspending collections and recovery activity; suspending accrual of further interest and charges; consideration of a refund of charges, in particular where the charges may have added to the FD during, or immediately before, the period of FD. The rationale for why a particular level of refund has been given should be documented and clearly explained to the complainant.

FD is Financial Difficulty.

I think you can clearly show the charges put you in severe difficulty.

This is from a formal letter from the FSA to the banks back in March.

I would definately appeal the decision and take the case to the financial ombudsman.

Hello

I do not have any debts or arrears save for an overpayment of Housing Benefit which I pay back at £20 a fortnight.

If the benefits agency made a mistake when calculating your housing benefits and the overpayment then occurred, they cannot claw it back under section 99 paragragh 2 of the Housing Act. See The Housing Benefit (General) Regulations 1987 If it was an oversight on your part, then you are stuck with it unfortunately.

You mention part of your income is from Incapacity Benefit. Have you spoken to someone at the Citizens Advice Bureaux to see if you might qualify for any other disability benefits.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D