PLEASE HELP | Newham Council Grief for 8 Going On 9 Months

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5434 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

If I'm typing in the wrong place I'm very sorry but it now about 3:30am but I really need help.....

I am a young male (20's) who was nominated by my hostel for a local authority property because was helping out with the local community, paying full rent and council tax without the aid of any benefits.....

Anyway, during this time period you also advised by the local council (Newham Council) and the Hostel programme to bid a property either on-line or by phone (choice homes), after about two and half years I finally came first for a property (one room flat) that I wanted and could offered (this a have digital and paper proof of), after two/three weeks I hadn't had any response back from the council ("standard time is two weeks for a response").

As I didn't get a reply back within the time frame the council gave I contacted the relevant department of the council only to be told.

"There was an internal error and the property you bided for was given to some one else in error".

W T F !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said "ok, have you got any more information on why this happened?"

The response I got back was.

"well.....the tenant who declined it seven years ago has now requested it again but we didn't notice bid until after we allocated the property to the other tenant".

To cut a long story short...I went AWOL on the phone and the call ended.

(Stay with me!)

The property that was then allocated to me (one room flat) has stickers on the ceilings stating that there's Asbestos in them, the boiler was leaking and you couldn't put a washing machine or a cooker in the kitchen (the space allocated was measured completely wrong!!!!), BEFORE ANY......ANY PAPERS WERE SIGNED I FIRMLY COMPLAINED about this and stated that the property wasn't suitable to live in I was then told by the housing allocation manager that.

"If you don't accept this offer, there will no others".

SO EVEN THOUGH I AND THE HOUSING LIAISON OFFICER COULD CLEARLY.....SEE THESE PROBLEMS....I still had to accept??

Well with no choice I took it and started following the FULL complaints procedure that the council have in place INCLUDING:

- Sending emails to all relevant departments of the council with all information they need to resolve the issues at hand

- Making phone calls to the relevant departments every other week to chase up

- Sending a full blown letter and email to the Mayor of Newham

(well not directly but to his office)

- Sending emails and making phone calls to my local MP

(with no response yet)

And also visiting my local service centre to speak with someone face to face and on my last visit the council staff member terminated the interview to help me because........as she stated.

"why am helping you? I'm just calling these people and you talking to them....it's taking to long, I'm terminating this interview".

What the hell I'm paying my council tax for for!!!!!???

Now I living in a flat where:

- There's asbestos in the ceilings and NO-ONE has brought documentation to state it been either cleared or its at safe levels.

- The Carbon monoxide meter near the boiler hasn't been serviced for seven (7) years (the service labels on it clearly stated the service)

- The boilers leaking

- The kitchen can't be used

- Oh.... and the bathroom sink is for some reason falling off the wall (which is great).

Now during this time I have had someone come along and inspect the property which was about 3 months ago....now.........I have been VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY PATIENT and have given the council full rent and full council tax on time...every time with problems.

This month I WILL PAY MY COUNCIL TAX but NOT MY RENT (but I will be holding it in full just in case).........this is so the council can take me to court and if.....I'm successful, they'll have to fit any bills the court puts forth.....can anyone please give me any advise within three weeks before the flood of letters come from the council telling me that I need to pay my rent or I'll have to go to court....just in case I'm going about this in the wrong way.

As a LA tenant you are part of a scheme known as "Right to Repair". Basically there is a list of certain repairs which the Council must by law have completed within a set time scale otherwise you can sue them through the County Court. Its been 4 years now since i worked for LA so cannot remember what those items are, but there are a lot of them.

Its all very well putting stickers on places known to contain asbestos - please don't imagine for one minute this is to protect you, the tenant, it's to protect any workmen who may carry out work at your flat., ie., they should not be drilling or otherwise disturbing these areas as they will cause asbestos to get into the air. So, imagine, you want to decorate, you want to put up a new light fitting, but if you do the Council will then accuse you of contaminating your flat and possibly the property of other people as well - no win situation! If I were you I would ring HSE (google them) and say that despite frequent calls to the Council you are still worried sick that you have asbestos in your flat and can't seem to get them to do anything about it. Really the Council should be decanting you and your neighbours until they have removed all asbestos from the properties.

The sink in the bathroom - well, you have to wash somewhere and since the kitchen is unusable then you have no choice but to use the basin. I take it you have put in writing to the Council about this? If not, take a photo, and send a letter now. When the sink then falls off the wall and breaks your foot it will be their responsibility. :p

You could also contact the Environmental Health Dept of your local council and ask them to inspect. When you took the flat was there a copy of the CP12 certificate for the property? This is the yearly certificate that must be provided by law to show the property has been tested as safe in respect of your gas installation. No certificate, no service, and both HSE and EHO will be very interested in this.

Now, before you withold your rent, pop along to Shelter (free) and get them to go through the right to repair with you so you know exactly what you should be witholding. They will also know that all social housing now has to meet what is called the Decent Homes Standard, and it sounds like Newham is failing in your property at least!

Also tell Shelter what happened over the bid you won, and then missed out on, and that you were told you had to take this property or no further offer would be forthcoming. That was rubbish - they don't offer any more anyway by the very nature of bidding. And if you felt the property was unsuitable for whatever reason, then you have every right to turn it down and wait for the next one without being penalised. You'll probably find that the Council bar you from bidding after turning down three good offers - but this was your first offer!

Good luck, don't give in, but do be careful about witholding rent monies until you are entirely sure how you stand under the right to repair. Because you;ll only be served with a NOSP and that'll lead to court action and will be a blessed expensive nuisance for you.

Thank you for all that information I will be doing EVERYTHING you've mentioned......believe me I appreciate it!!

Yes, the council have received letters from me with photos (colour of course) and emails with the same pictures just so I know that received it and they know what needs to be fixed.......from the start right up until this point I have documented and notified ALL relevant persons in the council to try and get a resolution.

I wasn't to sure about what you meant here

"you were told you had to take this property or no further offer would be forthcoming. That was rubbish - they don't offer any more anyway by the very nature of bidding"

Maybe I'm reading it wrong...anyway, thank you very much for taking the time out to give me that information I'll get cracking now and book two days off work to get this sorted!!!! :D

one other thing, keep calm! The little hitlers in the council love being able to refuse to deal with you. Good Luck, I think you have been treated appallingly.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

SUCCESS!!!!

I called the the organisations mentioned (while at work!!!) and they passed me onto the

Local Government Ombudsman

Their call agent stated that if I can send in email with with proof of receipts that I have filed complaints and requests for repairs and...if its been more than 12 weeks they will be able to help and if need be get reimbursement for losses I faced because of Newham Council's failures.

Well...after the title I've given this thread I KNOW I'll be okay now and I will be forwarding ALL information of EVERYTHING that's happened just to make sure.........Thank to everyone that gave me advice and I really, really do appreciate it!!!!

I'll keep you all posted...watch this space.....oh and thank you to the website creator as well :D