• Tweets

• Hi welcome to the Forum.  If a PCN is sent out late ie after the 12th day of the alleged offence, the charge cannot then be transferred from the driver to the keeper.T he PCN is deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch so in your case, unless you can prove that Nexus sent the PCN several days after they claim you have very little chance of winning that argument. All is not lost since the majority of PCNs sent out are very poorly worded so that yet again the keeper is not liable to pay the charge, only the driver is now liable. If you post up the PCN, front and back we will be able to confirm whether it is compliant or not. Even if it is ok, there are lots of other reasons why it is not necessary to pay those rogues. 
    • Hi 1 Date of the infringement  arr 28/03/24 21:00, dep 29/03/24 01.27 2 Date on the NTK  08/04/2024 (Date of Issue) 3 Date received Monday 15/04/24 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012?  Yes 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] No  7 Who is the parking company? GroupNexus 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Petrol Station Roadchef Tibshelf South DE55 5T 'operating in accordance with the BPA's Code of Practice' I received a Parking Charge letter to keeper on Monday 15/04/24, the 17th day after the alleged incident. My understanding is that this is outside the window for notifying. The issue date was 08/04/2024 which should have been in good time for it to have arrived within the notice period but in fact it actually arrived at lunchtime on the 15th. Do I have to prove when it arrived  (and if so how can I do that?) or is the onus on them to prove it was delivered in time? All I can find is that delivery is assumed to be on the second working day after issue which would have been Weds 10//04/24 but it was actually delivered 5 days later than that (thank you Royal Mail!). My husband was present when it arrived - is a family member witness considered sufficient proof?
    • lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Notice of ejection - Repossession in Scotland

flick666
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5452 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All, I am in urgent need of advice, I have been issued with a notice of ejection from the sheriff officers through £11,550 mortgage arrears. I was not asked or informed of this court case were the sheriff granted the notice, I have one week left to eviction date.

I got myself in the trouble after my business went down hill, my partner lost her job due to depression. I tried to seek help from the DWP but my partner only received Incapacity benefit, we were turned down for help with council tax and housing bebefit. As i was made bankrupt in November 2008 we had the CAB help us to get benefits. we received income support for 3 weeks and incapacity benefit continued, however we were informed that we would no longer receive help from DWP and all benefits have stopped.

We are now faced with eviction and have 3 children at home 1 over 16 1 who is ten and a baby of 2yrs. We have managed to scrape together £6,300 through family and offered the mortgage company a proposal of £6,300 as a lump sum and we would meet all monthly payments in time, (i've managed to get myself a job ) plus an extra £100 plus lump sums of cash once our vehicles are sold to clear the rest of the arrears over 12 to 24mths. They have REFUSED.!!! can anyone please offer any advice on this. We contacted a solicitor who said that the mortgage company are being very unhelpful and that our proposal was a good one, so he offered to call them on our behalf but they have refused to speak to him, (the solicitor is not sure of law and asked for the weekend to look into it) we have heard nothing back. I am now at my wits end as to what to do.. I dont think i would be ready to leave in one week, have over ten years of belongings to shift, nowhere to go, and five dogs to rehome. I know this is our fault for not managing our finances but surely our proposal should be enough to hold on to our family home.. PLEASE PLEASE HELP.!!!

Hi there, are you in Scotland? I am not familiar with the Scottish legal system regarding repossessions. Telephone the court which issued the notice and ask them which form you need to put forward to ask for a hearing to suspend eviction.

When you know that come back and I will see if I can help you with a statement for the hearing.

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Just spoke to the court, only information they can give is to contact a solicitor.. which we have.. He just asked if we were there to defend the case but like i said we knew nothing of it.. Only advice he gave is to contact mortgage company with proposal, but they wont accept it.. Our solicitor is trying to negocate with them..

Hi there, you could contact the Nationaldebtline Scotland - they should be able to advise you on what the process is for getting a hearing to suspend possession. The number is 0808 808 4000

There is also the Govan LAw Centre http://www.govanlc.com/

Ell-enn

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi there, I've also found this - explains how to appeal against the eviction:

An application to suspend enforcement action under the Act is known as a section 2 order.

The Act extends to loans which are secured on the value of the property, known in Scotland as standard securities or mortgages. Such loans may be a debtor’s main mortgage or a second or home improvement loan, secured on the value of the house.

who can apply for an order?

Applications under section 2 can only be made where the property is used for residential purposes and is occupied by the applicant as a sole or main residence.

Accordingly, the Act does not extend to second or holiday home. Likewise, the Act would not assist the owner of a property which is let to tenants, and not occupied by the owner as his or her main home.

Section 1(2) of the Act sets out four categories of persons who can apply to the court for enforcement action to be suspended.

• the debtor (person with the mortgage) or the owner.
  • the spouse of the debtor or owner (known as a ‘non-entitled spouse’), where the house is used by husband and wife as a ‘matrimonial home’.
  • the cohabitee of the debtor or owner (someone living as husband and wife, including same sex relationships).
  • the former cohabitee of the debtor or owner (someone formerly living as husband and wife, including same sex relationships i.e where the debtor/owner has left the house).

Before a 'former cohabitee' is eligible to apply under section 2, the following additional conditions must apply: (a) the debtor or owner must have left the house; (b) the cohabitee must have lived with the debtor or owner for 6 months (prior to the debtor/owner leaving the household); and © a child of the debtor/owner and cohabitee resides in the house.

A child is defined as someone under the age of 16, and includes a stepchild and any person brought up or treated by the cohabitee and the debtor/owner as their child.

when can an application be made?

Because creditors have access to more than one type of enforcement procedure, the time limit for applications depends on which enforcement procedure is used. The time limits for the four enforcement procedures are as follows:

• where a calling-up notice is served, an application must be made before the expiry of the calling-up notice (if you have consented to this notice being dispensed with or shortened, in any case the notice cannot be shortened to less than one month).
  • where a default notice is served, an application must be made not later than one month after the expiry of the period specified in the default notice.
  • where proceedings have been raised under section 24 of the Conveyancing and Fedual Reform (Scotland) Act 1970 (remedies on default), an application must be made before the conclusion of the proceedings.
  • where proceedings under section 5 (power to eject proprietor) of the Heritable Securities (Scotland) Act 1894, an application must be made before the conclusion of the proceedings.

The term, conclusion of the proceedings is not defined within the Act, however, in civil court procedure this is taken to mean when the action has been disposed by way of final decree. A final decree is only obtained once the court has determined the question of legal expenses at the end of the case – which can be at the same time decree is granted, or after decree is granted.

In any event, the best advice is always to lodge an application as soon as possible. Where an applicant fails to lodge an application in time, and is subject to decree, it is possible to apply to the court for recall of the decree on one occasion (by way of a 'Reponing Note' in terms of Ordinary Cause Rule 8.1(3). There is case authority supporting this position: GMAC-RFA Ltd v. Murray and Murray (Case Ref A216/2002H) , Sheriff Principal Bowen Q.C, 9 October 2002, Glasgow - reported in Issue 4 Hous LR, October 2003). Advisors should always bear in the mind the separate possibility of a section 129 Consumer Credit Act 1974 application for debts under £25,000 in certain circumstances (e.g. where the 2001 Act does not apply).

how is an application made?

There are two ways in which an application can be made.

• where the creditor serves a calling-up notice or default notice, an application must be made by way of summary application procedure.
  • where the creditor raises enforcement proceedings in the sheriff court, an application can be to the sheriff made during the course of those proceedings.

Summary application procedure proceeds by way of Initial Writ, and is an expedited form of sheriff court procedure. Applicants should consult a solicitor immediately if they wish to make an application by way of this procedure.

Where court enforcement proceedings have been raised by the creditor, an application for suspension can be made during those proceedings. Application is made by way of a Minute, and is regulated by the following rules of court (amending the Ordinary Cause Rules): Act of Sederunt (Amendment of Ordinary Cause Rules and Summary Applications, Statutory Applications and Appeals etc., Rules) (Applications under the Mortgage Rights (Scotland) Act 2001) 2002, SSI 2002/7. The Minute must be lodged in court with the appropriate lodging dues (£26 as at 21 February 2003). Those in receipt of IS, IBJA or who have appliued for civil legal aid are exempt from lodging dues: see the Scottish Courts wesbite.

what can the court consider?

The granting of a suspension order under section 2 of the Act is entirely a matter for the discretion of the sheriff. The test is whether the court ‘considers it reasonable in all the circumstances’ to grant an order. However, in considering whether to suspend the enforcement rights of a creditor, the court must have regard to the following issues in particular:

• the nature of and reasons for the default,
  • the applicant’s ability to fulfil within a reasonable period the obligations under the mortgage,
  • any action taken by the creditor to assist the debtor to fulfil those obligations, and
  • the ability of the applicant and any other person residing at the house to secure reasonable alternative accommodation.

Where the above noted issues are in dispute or require further evidence to be led, it may well be necessary for the court to fix a proof (the civil equivalent of a trial). Alternatively, the court may take the view that factual issues are sufficiently agreed to be in a position to determine the matter without the need for proof. Ultimately, procedure under the Act will be developed as case law progresses.

As regards what constitutes a ‘reasonable’ period in which to repay mortgage arrears, each case will turn on its own facts and circumstances. The experience in England and Wales is that the ability to clear arrears over the period of the loan should be looked at in terms of what is a 'reasonable' period: see Cheltenham and Gloucester Building Society v. Norgan [1996] 1 All ER 449. This approach should be advocated in Scotland stading the express wording of section 2(2)(b) of the MRA. See also the Govan Law Centre case of Abbey National plc v. Briggs.

what can the court do?

Where the court grants an order under section 2 of the Act it can suspend the creditor’s enforcement rights (a) to such extent, (b) for such period, and © subject to such conditions, as it thinks fit. Proceedings may also be continued, for example, to allow the repayment of arrears to be monitored.

While an order under section 2 is in force, a creditor can take no further action. The effect of the order – while in force - is equivalent to the debtor never having been in mortgage arrears.

The court is empowered to vary or revoke an order made under section 2(1)(a) where requested to do so by either creditor or applicant. Accordingly, where an applicant fails to adhere to the conditions of an order, the creditor could enrol a motion requesting the order to be revoked. Likewise, where an applicant’s circumstances have changed (for example, a drop in income) it would be possible for the debtor to go back to the court (by way of motion) and request a variation of the order.

If in doubt, applicants should take advice from a law centre solicitor, private firm or solicitors or advice agency.

You're welcome, let us know how you get on.

HI.. Just had the solicitor on the phone and apparently the court were the notice of ejection was granted does not offer a section 2.. he recommends getting back in touch with mortgage lender and put proposal to them again.. But they wont accept.. we have tried to no avail.. Is there anyone we can complain to with regards to the lender not accepting the proposal.. I have no clue what to do next..:eek: I dont want to loose my house over £11,550 arrears, the equity out weighs the amount owed.. :(

Hi there, I have found the Scottish Shelter site - if you ring them in the morning they may be able to help. You need to select the area you live in and you will get a number to ring.

Sorry I can't help you better - but I don't have knowledge of the Scottish legal system for repossession.

Ell-enn

I'll try and find out more information if I can, but I really think your best chance is to contact either Shelter, Govan Law Centre or Nationaldebtline Scotland.

HI.. All is good they finally accepted proposal.. After receiving some information from the sites you mentioned.. Told them I was applying for a section 2 and had contacted the Financial ombudsman over their lack of help.. So a BIG HUGE THANKS AGAIN..!!!!!! :D wouldnt have known were to turn if you hadn't let me know about Shelter scotland... Thats a big weight off my shoulders now.. Wish i could give you a big hug :D regards Flick xx

That's marvellous news Flick - I hope you can relax a bit now. Put your feet up and have a glass or two tonight :)

I'm going to move your thread into the Repossessions forum in case there are others living in Scotland who have the same problem as you - that way they will know where to get help.

Ell-enn

Hi Flick.

When legal action starts in Scotand the Solicitors have to send out a Intial Writ which will of been sent to the mortgaged property address(if this is your home)or the postal address(if mortgage is a buy to let)this will be sent by recorded delivery.Once the solicitors have received confirmation that these have been delivered and signed for that is when the clock starts ticking.

If the writ is returned back to the sols as undelivered they then have to pass to the sherrif office whom have to locate the named person.

Someone has signed for your legal pack...

Your mortgage would of firstly sent you a demand letter,then a letter before action and finaly a letter to say they have requested a decree.

Once the decree had been granted you should of also been made aware.

So did you not receive any of these letters?

LH