how much a default affects your credit score

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2554 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After Watching The Tonight Program With Martin Lewis, A Bit Of Help Needed For

General Interest

All Those Who Have Challenged A Default And Got It Removed,

How Much Was Your Credit Score Before With The Default And Afterwards With The Default Gone.

Thats Not Satisfied, Totally Deleated.

This Is For Only One Default

Meny Thanks

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A single default will trash you credit rating for years! (up to 6 years after default date). It does not matter how many defaults, so as long there is one! It is highly recommended for anyone who have a single default but the rest of credit file spotless, to get it removed!

Even with a default satisfied, it would not improve the credit score...the only way to improve the credit score would to remove the offending default...

Extremely unfair i know, but that how the system work.

Just as bad as a CCJ if not worse.

IVA Entry Removed

Nationwide Default Removed

Nationwide Joint Account Default Removed

Natwest Default Removed

Blackhorse Car Finance Court Claim - Won

Even 1 default is badddd news!

My credit score was 900 with a default for a mobile phone bill of £17 (disputed).

After passing initial credit checks with flying colours I was refused a mortgage with both Abbey National and Birmingham Midshires because of this 1 default.

My advice would be to get it removed asap.

Helen

meant to say doesnt really matter what your actual credit score is. My experian score was 900, which ordinarily would be considered a good (almost excellent) score. But once the potential lenders saw that red default - that was it, even though it was only for £17, my excellent payment record with everyone else counted for nothing!

Helen

I agree, even one Default, bad news!!!

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

meant to say doesnt really matter what your actual credit score is. My experian score was 900, which ordinarily would be considered a good (almost excellent) score. But once the potential lenders saw that red default - that was it, even though it was only for £17, my excellent payment record with everyone else counted for nothing!

Helen

On the same thread, anyone got any suggestions where I go from here?

Default registered by Lowells 2005.

Sent "prove it" letter to Buchanan Clark & Wells back in Nov.

Got a reply back in Dec saying clients would forward the information requested.

Heard nothing until last month when Red started chasing for money again, coincidentally? after I had been refused mortgages.

Have had 2 letters in last 2 weeks and they have ignored my email telling them lowell are fully aware the account is in dispute.

Also offered to pay "as a gesture of goodwill" if they agreed in writing to remove the dispute, but no response - just another automated "Red" letter chasing the debt.

Have been very complacent up until now cos I "thought" I had a "good" credit score. Dfferent matter now I've been refused mortgages and might lose my house! Should i complain to OFT cos they haven't sent any evidence and are still chasing it?

Many thanks

Helen

wow, I didnt realise that 1 default was as bad as several - I have one ccj which I deserved but 2 defaults from 3g that are completely wrong, so are you saying that even if I get the 2 3g defaults removed, it wont improve my rating because I still have the ccj and if so, is there any possible way of getting rid of a ccj?

You have to have an extremely good valid reason to have a CCJ set aside. You have to apply to the county court using form N244 for the judge to then consider it.

As for experians credit scores which they make you pay for remember it is only a guide they are charging you for. Each company has its own acceptance criteria so experian making you think you have a great score might not mean squiddley to other comapnies.

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

• 1 month later...

well, this is bizarre! I have a CCJ, I havent paid that CCJ, the company regard it as written off debt - but small company and hey, they would quite like it to get paid if it was possible - they also know the CCJ isnt worth much towards getting it paid the bailiff would cost them more and I'd argue that I dont have any assets. So, I say to them I'll pay it (plus a bit for their trouble) if they wont challenge my application to the court to set it aside, they agree because it means they get paid and I have a clean credit file.

Now if I'd satisfied that CCJ, they wouldnt have any incentive to be so co-operative, so if I'd done the "responsible" thing, I'd be worse off for 6 years.

The system is wrong

A single default will trash you credit rating for years! (up to 6 years after default date). It does not matter how many defaults, so as long there is one! It is highly recommended for anyone who have a single default but the rest of credit file spotless, to get it removed!

Even with a default satisfied, it would not improve the credit score...the only way to improve the credit score would to remove the offending default...

Extremely unfair i know, but that how the system work.

I waited until my Crap One default dropped off my file in 2006 before I even considered applying for a mortgage. This was my one and only default left on my experian credit file.

My credit score was mid 700's with the default in place. When it left my file, my score went into the high 800's and is now in the mid 900's :grin:

Got the mortgage as well no problem when I applied for it after crap one left my credit file. :D

• 2 years later...

My current credit score is 876 - but realistically it should in the 900's. Yesterday I spotted my only 2 defaults, and they were from last year on my Experian credit report and immediately went into Natwest to have them removed. They really shouldn't have been there. IT PAYS TO CHECK and it pays to have them removed.Last year when Natwest changed over to the £5 per day unauthorised overdraft system I happened to be away for 3 months and when I got back I was horrified to discover my account £700 in arrears, which included the daily rate of £5 per day plus charges for not using the account (because I was away)- anyway I immediately phoned them and told them the problem and they agreed to wipe the charges away for a fee of around £360...which I paid and they promised no defaults would occur on the account. Sadly it took me almost a year to discover that they certainly HAD DEFAULTED ME. Two months in a row! I even had a small personal loan rejected recently which kind of spurred me on to actually check and pay the £12 for the credit report - well worth it I tell you if this can be avoided! Unbelievable. However to cut a long story short - I am also very very curious as to how much my credit rating will improve in the month or so from 876 - it will take the credit report people around a month to re-register the new account details with an improved score (hopefully).

Watch this space.

BANKING

Halifax - £428.43 - successful claim

Halifax PPI - £380 - successful claim

NatWest - £2853 - Successful Claim

Barclaycard - £663 - Successful Claim

Barclaycard PPI - £360 - Successful Claim

RETAIL

Lastminute.com - £190 - Successful Claim

Benson For Beds - £49 - Successful Claim

Santander - £420 - Successful claim to have iMac repaired under Section 75 Consumer Credit Act (Retailer went bust)

Wether your ''score'' imporoves or not will depend on how the

rest of your accounts are managed, the number of credit apps

you make.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

The credit scores sold by CRA's are just a guide as to where you stand in the credit structure. Each company has their own criteria they request you meet regardless of what the CRA's say your score is. For example you apply for a loan with a so called score of 900 say one company rejects you another company accepts you. It is all down to as said before the criteria set by the individual company.Granted credit scores give you an indication of what your worthiness is like but why pay the CRA's extra to find this out? Surely you can see from looking at your credit report what may and may not go for/against any applications you may make!

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

• 2 weeks later...

My score went up 51 points in the last week since having a late payment default removed!

BANKING

RETAIL

Santander - £420 - Successful claim to have iMac repaired under Section 75 Consumer Credit Act (Retailer went bust)

Maybe so but it remains a day to day reference for

the individual, the credit scoring systems used by

major lenders is vastly different from what you see

which is an ''indication only'' s to how an application

may be viewed.

I have said before I have seen a guy with ''excellent ratings''

refused a small secured loan.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

the credit scoring systems used by

major lenders is vastly different from what you see

which is an ''indication only'' s to how an application

may be viewed.

Surely with something as important as your ability to receive credit, a person should be privy to that information?

What I am getting at here is that if there is something stopping a person from obtaining a bank loan, yet the person has jumped through all the necessary hoops and obtained the necessary good credit history, and the guy has a good credit rating and there is no way of obtaining WHY he failed through the regular channels then you can't rule out some kind of discrimination, because the basic law of discrimination means that if you have 2 people with equal skills and equal ability, treating one person favourably over the other and not making it clear why you are treating the other person unfavourably is discriminatory in the eyes of the law.

Yes, no? Surely banks need to disclose this private information - the reasons for failing people with good credit scores - because surely it would open them up to lawsuits for discrimination...also brings the whole 'black-list' (another illegal practise) question to mind.

BANKING

RETAIL

You are right, and IMHO (and I have said this time and again) the credit reference agences are not fit for purpose, they have probably done immesurable damage to our countries financial situation and are preventing a recovery by not allowing people the chance to pick up again.

The banks are their own worse enemies in this.