• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HFC via Weightmans LLP set aside statutory demand! *** WON ***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5436 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I am in court on Friday 8th May 2009 as I applied for a statutory demand to be set aside with regards to a debt with HFC via Weightmans LLP, which was successful

The account was in dispute and they still proceeded to pursue the debt, furthermore there is no consistency in the amounts they seek and no information requested regarding charges etc.. has been received

I have not heard from Weightmans since I received the notification from the court with the date, however, today I receive a 'witness statement' from Weightmans asking for the set aside to be dismissed as the application is misconcieved! furthermore they state that the SD was prepared and sent for service in January but not served until March due to the fact that I had made a payment to HFC back in October 2008!!!! this is completly untrue it was not served because the account went into dispute and they put it on hold (I have confirmation in writing of this) - they also have the unlawful charges incorrect by nearly £200 - they have finally confirmed ther charges of £242.94 and state that the debt still falls above the statutory insolvency limit of £750 even with the charges off! so not true!

they are alo seeking an award for costs of £615 in addition!

I am a bit confused as to what this witness statement is about - are they asking the judge to dismiss the hearing set for Friday? or is this there case ready for Friday?

If they are asking to dismiss - how can I appeal or make my concerns heard before Friday? I have responded to each point and have copies of letters ready to object

It just says on the covering letter :

'We enclose by way of service, Witness Statement of Mr Murphy together with schedule of costs in readiness for the hearing on 8th May 2009'

To me this sounds like the hearing may or may not happen!!

I would be grateful if anyone has come across this before or can advise me

Many thanks

I only received their witness statement yesterday! and I am sure the court will have too

Was concerned that they were trying to get the case dismissed prior to date - but fine with attending tomorrow - what the witness statement proves is a pack of lies - i have written evidence to produce to confirm and nothing in the statement frightens me was more concerned I wouldnt be able to put my case forward to the judge with regards to their statement

wish me luck!

Maybe I should seek costs too!

Just wishing you good luck for tomorrow - seems like your all clued up and know exactly what you are doing :)

Edited by clemma
got my days muddled......

Don't forget to submit your costs TODAY !!! they have to be in the court 24 hours before the hearing.....

Head a sheet of paper with LITIGANT IN PERSON COSTS

Ask for £6 for each letter written.

Postage

Parking

10 hrs reasearch into The Insolvency Act @ £9.25 pr hour and 10 hrs research into the Consumer Credit Act, and time off work....

And quote the judge this - Hammonds (a firm) v Pro-Fit USA Ltd [2007] EWHC 1998 (Ch)

In this case, Mr Justice Warren confirmed that it was usual for an indemnity award to be made:-

27 So far as disputed debts are concerned, the practice of the court is not to allow the insolvency regime to be used as a method of debt collection where there is a bona fide and substantial dispute as to the debt. Save in exceptional cases, the court will dismiss a petition based on such a debt (usually with an indemnity costs order against the petitioner).

thanks Clemma!

I hope I have got everything be a sorry day if I lose as the debt will increase by another £615!!

I have noticed from the statement that they make reference to PPI on several occassions - this was cancelled over 18 months ago (I have written confirmation from HFC) - I am assuming that they are trying to imply that a default has occured because payments made have not included the PPI (an extra £9 per month) - they have also confirmed that interest has been charged on this PPI even after it has been cancelled!

and better still, I questioned whether the account was in default at all - they said I missed april / july payments and the payment I made in October did not cover the arrears - however, I had been making slight overpayments to the account for several months and from working it out from the statements as at 3rd October (when the debt was assigned) I was £12.01 in credit and not in arrears at all!

they still have not given me a breakdown of the amount - several statements / correspondence all detail different amounts there is no consistency at all! - even with what it states in HFC default letter (dated 28th Feb 2009 and only one ever received!) and adding weightmans charges there is a descrepency of approx. £300!!

They are trying to cover their bums as to why they continued to pursue this debt whilst in clear dispute and some sorry excuse for charges implied - his witness statement does not add up, the statements do not add up nothing makes sense at all

The court hearing is at 12.30pm tomorrow - I also notice from the costs which he has filed that no travel expenses have been added! - he would be travelling at least a 150 mile round trip?????

anyway, thanks for the luck - will upate you tomorrow :eek:

Hi 42Man

Will they accept a fax to file for costs? - I cannot get to the court today at all!

I thought you had to be a legal exec etc.. to claim costs???

Do I quote the judge the above case when I respond to Weightmans witness statement or when filing for costs?

In your professional opinion what do you think my chances are?

I have not heard from Weightmans since I received the notification from the court with the date, however, today I receive a 'witness statement' from Weightmans asking for the set aside to be dismissed as the application is misconcieved!

I am a bit confused as to what this witness statement is about - are they asking the judge to dismiss the hearing set for Friday? or is this there case ready for Friday?

To me this sounds like the hearing may or may not happen!!

The court hearing is at 12.30pm tomorrow - I also notice from the costs which he has filed that no travel expenses have been added! - he would be travelling at least a 150 mile round trip?????

'To me this sounds like the hearing may or may not happen!!'

To me it sounds as though Weightmans are not planning on turning up :roll:

Anyway, sounds as though you're prepared if they do. Good luck, hope it all goes well.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

I thought both sides had to attend - we were told by the court official that if we didnt turn up the case would go in there favour!

thats hope they dont

Thanks again - I will fax my costs through to the court before 12.30pm

Yes FAX the costs through.....you are allowed to claim your costs...see this thread here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/dca-legal-successes/156970-omg-connaught-first-credit-6.html

Quote the case in front of the judge T......I think you're chances are good. Just be firm but polite...call the judge sir/madam, you should be showing how annoyed and distressed you are at receiving a demand which is obviously being used as a debt collection tool....ask the opposing solicitor why your application to set aside is 'misconceived' ??

And if by some miracle they do turn up at the court and want to talk to you...say 'you talk, i'll listen'....and say that you'll dismiss the hearing if they pay your costs....

am i allowed to dimiss the case? how does that work if I do? - surely they would still try and file for bankruptcy on me?

Oh my god I am getting the jitters now - thought I was all sorted! :???:

Lets just hope no one turns up and I have an understanding judge!

Which area are you in? I found it really helpful when a fellow Cagger came along with me - perhaps someone may be able to come along and hold your hand, as it were?

The important thing to do now is to get your file ready with everything in coherent order. I would suggest taking a photocopy of the witness statement, go through it scrupulously and use a highlighter pen to highlight inaccuracies and inconsistencies. Then do this again to make sure you haven't missed anything.

Once you've done this, make a defence sheet (bullet-pointed) refuting the inaccurate claims and get your piece of evidence for each of these ready and make a photocopy for the judge. Number your evidence so that it corresponds with the bullet-points and then you will easily be able to find it when you are in court. They may turn up tomorrow, they may not - however, if you are completely prepared and have your evidence, you stand a very good chance of things going your way.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Haha 1

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Feel free to send me a PM - I'm around this morning and later this afternoon, so I'll see what I can do to help.

Ah - it feels good to have FINALLY finished my course and be back on CAG!

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

I prefer not to give out my email address - I'll send you a PM and then you can reply to me.

Ah - it feels good to have FINALLY finished my course and be back on CAG!

Well done Tiglet, when do you get results?

Sorry, terlyn, just an aside.

Tiglet's advice is always excellent & getting your paperwork in good order & correctly numbered is not only good practice, it also gives you confidence at the hearing. Everybody has a different approach but I find it helps to make a note of questions that you think you might be asked & write down what you would reply then if you do have a blank moment you can refer to your notes.

BTW, it's not wigs & gowns you know, just a table & some other people, no different than a business meeting.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Gee thanks foolishgirl - glad to be appreciated!

Have results (did very well) and am just waiting for enhanced CRB check back then I'll start my work as a tribunal advocate.

terlyn - your response looks great - you have listed your disputes, you have it backed up with evidence and have cited case law. However, I would be inclined, where you state that they are in breach of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, to point out exactly which parts you are referring to and also within the Insolvency Act. They may not question you on this, but I would make sure I had those printed out and to hand as well so that you can refer to them if necessary. Do tell me if you need help with this.