Can I have my own contractor do insurance work?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5478 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had a recent large house fire in which I have employed an insurance assessor. We are now about four months into the claim and my assessor has been getting quotes for the work.

From day one I explained to the assessor I want to arrange my own builders to do the work. He seemed to have no problem with this up to now.

He keeps trying to put me off the idea for different reasons, however I think it is likely because he gets a bigger commission from the builders he has chosen compared to the commission we agreed on at the start.

My initial query is am I in my right to be able to say who does my insurance repair work?

I know the insurance co. would normally choose the cheapest quote, so should I be able to ask my assessor for a copy of the cheapest quote he has so I can see if my contractor can better this? I have actually asked him for this and he just says he can't, but surely as it is my house and in theory me who is paying him I have a right to see anything he does and arranges for me.

I feel that the assessor is just thinking of himself and not helping me as I expected, trying to make as much money for himself.

Anyone experienced with this I would really appreciate some help

Kind Regards

Symeon

OK nobody (read that as assessor, insurance company, broker etc) can insist that you use a particular contractor. Most insurers have a few appointed contractors who they prefer to deal with (and get a discount from), but at the end of the day you have an insurance policy, that's a contract, the terms of which (in simple terms are, you pay a premium, they pay out for a claim).

So in answer to your question, YOU decide who you want to do the repairs, what the assessor is saying is bollox about he won't tell you the figures, and the way around that is to do the following

1) Get your contrcator to give you an estimate

2) send that in to your insurance company with a letter informing them that this is the company who will do the work, if their estimate is higher than others submitted you will pay the difference. That way they have no argument and you get to know what the other firm quoted.

If they give you any hassle post back and we'll advise further

Mossy

Hi Symeon,

I have had this row with insurance companies several times. My argument has always been that my own builders are trustworthy, can be left in the house on their own and so on. You do have to allow their tradesman/men to give a quote though. I had an absolute ****** once who asked me if the walls were lined. :rolleyes: Presumably he expected me to say I didn't know and he would then just strip the lining paper and paint the plaster. Why would anyone have a total con-artist/idiot like that in their house? (As I pointed out to the insurance company - he was either a con-artist or completely incompetent.) They may be able to insist that they will only pay your costs up to the limit of their own builders' quote but I would happily accept that - provided it is reasonable. If it isn't you can always threaten them with the insurance ombudsman.

Daniella

Wow, I think I managed to blink!! Thanks for the replies.

The actual builder is my uncle, he has a large construction company and I normally get him to do all my building work. As you said Daniella I know I can trust him and his tradesman, and I feel a lot more comfortable with him.

Bollox is exactly what I thought, how would you think it best to word to my assessor that I want a copy of the quotes he has? When I asked him he made out he would be breaking the law if he gave me them.

A question my uncle asked however as he has not done an insurance claim this big (maybe 130K +) is how is payment made. Would the insurance company pay on a lump sum payout or would it be interim payments based on completion of different steps of the total works involved? Could I request a lump sum, or is this up to the insurance company?

Another thing my assessor has told me is that I can't be the one to make my contents list as the insurance company would not accept it and he has to employ a third party company to go in and itemise everything. I actually think yet again this is just so he can make more money out of my claim. Surely it is obvious that I would be the best one to list all items, as some are so badly damaged they are unrecognizable.

Final question -- Is my assessor a @@nker.. I'm beginning to think so!!!

Again thanks Mossy and Daniella for the fast response.

Regards

Symeon.

Insurers normally pay out on completion of the work, however you can ask them for a payment in lieu, ie the cost of the repairs exclusive of VAT and then they will pay the VAT on receipt of an invoice.

The assessor does not have to give you the quotes obtained from other sources but the insurers will tell you what the quote totalled if it is lower than your preferred contractor.

The assessor is again talking bollox about a contents list, the policy holder compiles this initially, if there any queries then somebody may be sent to clarify/inspect. As you state some items are so badly damaged that nobody without prior knowledge could identify them.

If you hit problems with the assessor speak to the claims manager, don't threaten ombudsman at this stage you will only put their backs up needlessly at this stage, if a policyholder came straight onto me threatening that I'd be less than understanding and a lot more rigid dealing with their claim.

Mossy