Firm which ran secret database to face prosecution

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5481 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The Consulting Association, an organisation that ran a database containing details on 3,213 construction workers, is facing prosecution by the ICO. The database, which was used by over 40 construction companies to vet individuals for employment, included information about construction workers’ personal relationships, trade union activity, and employment history.
The Consulting Association to face prosecution

So keep sending in your complaints about RLP and others.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

Excellent new Now lets get RLP Report them here https://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/contact_us.aspx

Incidentally with the help of some very resourceful;) people a complete biography is being put together about this company it's associates & all of those involved since it's inception which when completed & confirmed will be put into the public domain ........................Lets see how they feel when they are longer able to hide behind some virtually anonymous website

Edited by JonCris

I will be ringing the ICO tomorrow to make a complaint about RLP. When TK Maxx took my name and address, they did not once mention to me that it would be passed onto RLP or anyone else. I thought is was purely for there records. This is a breach of the Data protection Act..

A little digging will show that RLP are registered with the ICO, with registration number Z8131406 (you can look them up here).

I'm not sure on what basis a complaint to the ICO might be made.

There may be grounds for a complaint with regards access to data:

From here:

10. What Personal Data do you hold?

You are notified that the personal information we hold may be used in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA), to make employment decisions, decisions regarding the provision of credit and for the purposes of crime prevention and detection. Access to the information may be available to the Claimant, the Courts, legal advisors and RLP, where there is a legitimate reason for doing so in accordance with the Act.

The Act does not require any reason at all for data access.

I will be ringing the ICO tomorrow to make a complaint about RLP. When TK Maxx took my name and address, they did not once mention to me that it would be passed onto RLP or anyone else. I thought is was purely for there records. This is a breach of the Data protection Act..
I applaud the sentiment. I would also ask, however, which bit of the DPA you think has been breached. Edited by My Real Name

No but it requires permission of the subject to process it onto their data base which appears to have not been given here In fact it would appear that the subject has deliberately been misled into giving their details not having been warned of the true purpose - namely to extort money

To be honest, I am getting a little confused now. I am not sure if I should complain or not. It seems from other threads, that they were warned that they would be hearing from RLP. I was in the office for 5 mins max and nothing was mentioned to me that my details would be forwarded on to a civil recovery comp. My partner and 2 sons were also shopping in TK maxx as well, and the man who questioned me said "don't worry they don't even have to know you have been in here." Luckily, I did mention to my partner straight away what happened as I would have been very embarrassed after getting a letter demanding £137.00!!

No but it requires permission of the subject to process it onto their data base which appears to have not been given here In fact it would appear that the subject has deliberately been misled into giving their details not having been warned of the true purpose - namely to extort money
Any complaint made ti the ICO by samjf would be against T K Maxx, in that case, as they were the ones passing his / her personal data on to RLP.

If (s)he was not informed that this might happen, then the complaint would be that (s)he was not informed as to how the information would be processed (see the legal obligations for data controllers - "If I'm asked to pass on personal information, would the people about whom I hold information expect me to do this?").

sam complain about RLP AND T K Maxx - Why RLP - because RLP are using that data to extort money from you which I suspect was never the reason they were granted a license by the ICO ........... also they claim to be a DCA AND a CRA & yet don't require a consumer credit license............ go figure

Edited by JonCris