style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5453 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I am also new here ang I have a big problem!

I am a french student and 2 months ago I have been arrested at Primark for trying to steal one item. They recovered the item of £8.00 and I stayed about one hour in the detention room. I confessed and apologized my very stupid act explaining everything. I came back home and I directly payed the penalty amount £80 to the Police as they said.

But, then I received a letter from RLP which asks for me to pay £87.50 the same things (time spent by the staff, administration...).

Obviously, I do not agree with the amount which I am sure quite unwarranted.

My first question is : What I have to do? do I have to pay the full amount without protest?

If I don't pay they say that they will use Court Action, do they have the right to do that just for one hour spent by the staff (which had to payed even if nothing happened) knowing that I already payed the fine?

Finally, if I really have to pay, is it possible to do it through the Internet instead of phone (I don't understand anything) or post (which is very unsafe according to me)?

Thank you very much for answering me, because I don't know the law here and since I am 21 it is not the same thing because I am major.

Ps: persons who want to lecture me, please refrain!! I already curse myself everyday for that!

lets 1st just say Christ said "let he who is without sin cast the 1st stone"

Although we do have some sanctimonious sods most who come here will not be here to judge but to help

You should understand the retailer is entitled to recover their losses which may not just include the costs of the goods but also the time & trouble you may have put them to................However you could ask them to justify their demand nevertheless I DO think they WILL be able to justify to a court the amount they are demanding from you.

I hate to say this as I detest this firm with a passion but if I were your lawyer I would recommend you pay in order to avoid incurring more substantial legal costs as you have admitted attempted theft a court will have little sympathy I'm afraid & will almost certainly order you to pay.

Sorry if it's not what you want to hear

You should understand the retailer is entitled to recover their losses which may not just include the costs of the goods but also the time & trouble you may have put them to................However you could ask them to justify their demand nevertheless I DO think they WILL be able to justify to a court the amount they are demanding from you.

I agree with JonCris, but I think you may be able to limit the financial damage a little, by making them an offer. Although they are threatening court action, their aim is for you to pay with a minimum of fuss, they don't really want to go to all that trouble. Try an offer of £50 or £60, they might just accept, and all you stand to lose is postage costs if they don't.

No as thanks to this government you can be arrested on a European warrant anywhere in the EU - not only for a crime in this country but also for a crime in another country - in other-words you can be charged with a crime against another country even if you have never been there - & the 'crime' may not even be a crime in this country - eg slag off the Greek government in the pub & they get to hear about they can issue a European warrant & demand you be arrested & shipped of to Greece for trial

The Germans have just done it with an Australian Holocaust denier who a) has never been to Germany & b) was only passing through Heathrow on his way home to OZ

Edited by JonCris

I agree you should make an offer in writing perhaps apologising & explaining your mitigating circumstances (I assume having to steal from pri-mark, that there must be some mitigation involved?)....but make sure to copy the letter to Primarks customer services department

I really have to say here that not everyone is going to have mitigating circumstances, in the legal sense,however much we might wish them to.Not having enough money is not a mitigating factor on its own.