Coucil Tax backdating issue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5477 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i posted this in another section but i think i might get more help here !

i have been a single occupant since 1998 where i was a student until June 2001.

from 2001 and 2005 i was charge the full council tax rate even though i was a single occupant and did notify the council verbally and in writing that i should be entitled to the single person's discount but it seems they never received this letter.

now i did manage to write to them again later on ( a few years later as the old account was in dispute and with the bailiffs) and they did change my status to a single occupant from 2005 but i do not remember getting any refunds !

a few months back i wrote to them again demanding my account to be backdated from 2001, and i got a reply saying that they can only backdated from 2005 but if i sent them proof that i was the single occupant they would consider it. i did send them the proof and just got a reply saying that they will not back date further than 2005 and will only investigate if i have proof that i have contacted them at the time.

basically i have no proof and can i claim back my council tax from 2001 to 2005 and if so how?

many thanks in advance

Hi,

I'm going on gut feeling here with no real knowledge.

I would SAR them to get as much paperwork back as possible. Usually when you send letters they are either placed on your file or scanned into a computer. There should be some trace.

I don't think they will go back as far as 2001 but they should go back to 2003 but if you state in your SAR that you require all info in your file they may supply it.

this is the only way I can think of getting the info

I would still make a complaint to them and when they brush you off (and they will) complain to the chief exec. If after that you are still nowhere you could try the ombudsman

fox

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

If it was passed to bailiffs then it has been through the courts and a liability order granted against you.

If you do the sar as suggested, and the letter was received, then you will have it a copy sent back to you and you can then take it from there.

Until you SAR them, you will never know whether they got the letter or not.

It matters not that a bailiff was involved at some time as the council keep correspondence and just pass on collection details to the bailiff.

Take the advice, don't take the advice. It's totally up to you

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE