Scott & Co Council tax wages arrestment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2095 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recieved a letter from Scott & Co stating a wages arrestment for council tax arrears.

The council house is my girlfriends.

the wages arrestment letter has my girlfriends name on it with my work details, think this is because my gf told Scott & co my work details :(.

My girlfriend does not work.

Will the arrestment still go ahead through my workplace - with my girlfriends name on the details?

Thanks for any help.

I am going to try and get this resolved ASAP before the arrestment happens and offer some kind of payment.

P.s I am starting a new job in a month or so and I will be handing in my notice. what happens if the arrestment has already went ahead at this point.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by edinburgh09

I recieved a letter from Scott & Co stating a wages arrestment for council tax arrears.

the wages arrestment letter has my girlfriends name on it with my work details. my girlfriend does not work.

Were you living with your girlfriend for the period of the arrears?

Will the arrestment still go ahead through my workplace - with my girlfriends name on the details?
It shouldn't but it might. They could of course correct the name on the earnings arrestment if you are indeed liable.

The amount of any arrestment would depend the amount of money that you earn and is set out in The Statutory Deductions Tables in Schedule 2 of the Debtors (Scotland) Act 1987.

P.s I am starting a new job in a month or so and I will be handing in my notice. what happens if the arrestment has already went ahead at this point.
With the introduction of the Bankruptcy and Diligence etc. (Scotland) Act 2007 it is compulsory for the employer to tell the sheriff officers if the employee leaves their employment and the name and address of the new employer if known. Edited by rory32

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I am going to try and get this resolved ASAP before the arrestment happens and offer some kind of payment.
When offering payment it's useful to know how much they would be able to deduct if they managed to obtain an earnings arrestment (you wouldn't want to offer too much). As previously stated the amount they can deduct is governed by statute. You'll find the amounts that they can deduct in the following link http://www.aib.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/4/0000460.pdf

Schedule 2 is about 3/4's of the way down or you can just click on the link in the contents table.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Quote:

the wages arrestment letter has my girlfriends name on it with my work details. my girlfriend does not work.

Were you living with your girlfriend for the period of the arrears? Yes I was

Quote:

It shouldn't but it might. They could of course correct the name on the earnings arrestment if you are indeed liable.

The amount of any arrestment would depend the amount of money that you earn and is set out in The Statutory Deductions Tables in Schedule 2 of the Debtors (Scotland) Act 1987.

Quote:

P.s I am starting a new job in a month or so and I will be handing in my notice.

what happens if the arrestment has already went ahead at this point.

With the introduction of the Bankruptcy and Diligence etc. (Scotland) Act 2007 it is compulsory for the employer to tell the sheriff officers if the employee leaves their employment and the name and address of the new employer if known.

Do I have to inform my employer my new job details

Edited by edinburgh09

Yes I was
In which case you have joint and several liability. What that means is that they can either go after one of you for the money or both of you. Obviously it's not worth them attempting to pursue your girlfriend as she doesn't work.

Do I have to inform my employer my new job details
No but if you don't they may just arrest your bank account instead which may result in the funds held in your account being frozen.

Seems they have a habit of doing this! I volunteered for an arrestment of earnings order, and provided full details of myself and my workplace payroll dept. They STILL managed to do an AEO by using my name but my ex partner's work details. Eejits. However it could not go ahead because obviously my ex's work didn't have me on their books!

EDITED to add: When it didn't go through and I repeatedly rang them and asked over a three month period when they were going to set up the AEO correctly, they then did exactly as Rory stated, they arrested my bank account. Cue a very piddled off Scots woman who advised them they had better remove it otherwise I'd take action against them as I had done everything possible to rectify the debt, which wasn't even my debt to begin with!

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Scott & Co probably have the worst reputation of any sheriff officers amongst people who have had to deal with these issues, no great suprise in their actions (unfortunately) Erika from what I have heard about them.

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

If the arrestment is served on your work with your partners name, it is the responsibility of your employment to return the order back to Scott & Co stating that the employee cannot be found within their organisation.

As for the liability, if its only your gf on the summery warrent then they should not have any interest in you....but that will be predetermined by the council.

As for employers having to give details regarding the next employer, then make sure you DO NOT give your current work any details, then they cannot serve the arrestment....

As for the liability, if its only your gf on the summery warrent then they should not have any interest in you....but that will be predetermined by the council.

Both me & my girlfriend did recieve a charge for payment, two letters both in each others names, posted by hand through the letter box not even in an envelope, then a few days later the same two (photocopied) letters arrived by normal first class post.

6 weeks passed without us doing anything about it then the arrestment arrived in my gf's name with my work details.

Form 30 The debtors (scotland) Act 1987 section 47

Earnings arrestment

:(

I will phoning the council in the morning to try sort this all out once and for, hopefully never get in this mess again.

Thanks for everyones comments

• 9 years later...

Despite keeping in telephone contact with Scott and Co explaining that I was not working and as soon as I was I would set up a payment plan they still went into my bank account and took the full amount of what was owed plus nearly £100 on top for fees.

This money was in my account from my Uncle for new carpets, which are dearly needed.

As I have ordered the carpets and can no longer pay for them I have now had to borrow money.

Instead of paying Scott & Co in instalments and replacing 15 year old carpets I am now still in debt.

Well done Scott & Co and Glasgow City Council

- People may make Glasgow but Glasgow destroys people:

and sadly quite legal to do so

you should not of sat on your hands.

thread is almost 10yrs old

you will not get seen here

start a new thread

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...