• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Correct address for rbos plz

june34
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6392 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sent my Data Protection Act away to rbs 56 South Gyle Cres Edinburgh EH12 9LE and it was never delivered, can anyone advise me of the correct address and do i now still need to start from scratch again with my 40 days?

June

Data Protection Act sent 27/06/06

Hi - if in doubt your safest bet is your Branch.

Their internal systems will make sure your request gets to the correct person/department.

Plus, you could always hand-deliver it & get a receipt at the time...

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

Thanks very much, i didnt want to hand it in due to the nature of my job and then having the branch know whats happening, as i pass the branch each and every day. The last one i sent on the 27th June and it never got delivered and royal mail dont tell you so it gets binned..... great eh.

Thanks for the much needed advice

June

Also, don't worry about how your branch will be. I really didn't like the idea of sending the letters to my branch as I am from a small friendly town in Scotland where everyone knows each other and my aunt works in the branch.

I sent it though and then, to my horror, someone phoned and I had to phone her back at the branch. She was nice and I was nice and I realised that it probably just gives them something new, maybe even a bit of a laugh.

Today I even went in to pay some money in and nothing was said. They were still as lovely to me as they are to the other customers. The moral of the story just brass neck it as they are just people like us doing their jobs. :-)

i think its more my job as i work in a uniformed job where your not meant to have money problems if you know what i mean and its the fact i would have to go in to see them in my uniform. Though i think if they were to talk about it outwith the branch then its against the data protection act and they could lose their job.

Most of the time i dealt with the branch they were always lovely to me, but the usual crap that the charges are lawful and i shouldnt have went over my limit even by 1p as this is a breach of contract. Sometimes it was only pennies i was over but had to pay back at least £70.......

Got caught up with certain things today and didnt manage to post the letter but will do it tomorrow if i can.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on previous posts, i had called royal mail who didnt have a clue where my special deliver letter was........emmmmm, and was having to try and get the letter and the £10 refunded, not to mention starting the 40days from scratch again. The 40 days should have been up on the 6th August, however i received a letter from rbs today saying that in order to process my request for statements i need to send in a copy of my signature. why have they waited this long to do it but more importantly how does this go with the 40 days wait, do i send out a guess as to the charges and an lba or do i hang about and wait for them to get my signature and proceed from there. or when i post in my signature do i give them maybe 7 days grace or something?

Advice would be greatly appreciated

If the RBS sent a letter regarding your request, it is safe to assume that they did get your original letter, i would fire off a non-compliance letter, they dont need you signature, sounds to me its a stalling tactic.

P.S did you pay by cheque? if so was it cashed?

i paid by postal order as i only have a basic bank account now with clydesdale bank. i will send them a letter stating that they now only have 3 days to comply with the dpa as they have had the letter now for over 30 days. i was actually starting from scratch again as it still says the letter has not been delivered, maybe they are getting clever to all this and not signing for the letters.

Thanks

June

This is very wierd! The Royal Bank have also asked me to sign a thing with my signature on it but they have said that it is for a separate matter (I am sending money to Brazil). Now I realise that they are probably just pretending that it is not related to my court case but that they want these signatures for something legal. Any thoughts anyone? It does seem too much of a co-incidence that they are asking us for updated signatures.

PS I just want to add that I have started my court case and the RBS phoned me for my signature and said that it was unrelated. I said that I would provide it but now I think I should wait until the court dates have elapsed. Any advice?

ive not sent in my signature yet as my dad has taken ill this week and between dealing with work and visiting ive not had the chance, though thats the 40 days up on the 6th, however i have typed up the letter just need to post it, i did state that they had 30 odd days to ask for this and if they do not comply with my statements within 5 days i was going to make a complaint.

any ideas on this would be helpful

June

Hi June,

I got my cheque yesterday so stick in there - it DEFINATELY WORKS and a few people (me being one of them) seemed to be worrying that there weren't many people who were claiming against RBS that were winning. Well that was just nerves and I can confirm that after submitting a claim using moneyclaim online and waiting nervously (for 11 days to be precise), I received a cheque. I will shortly be donating a small portion of it to this helpful site...

As for addresses - I used my branch address all the way through until the moneyclaim online stage and then as I live in England and wanted to use the English court system I used the London address: RBS, Group Litigation, 1 Princes Street, London EC2R 8PB

If anyone else is using the above address in their online court case please note that it does not come up on the screen as The Royal Bank of Scotland. It comes up as NatWest so you have to persevere with the links to enter it manually and the links to 'select the correct address. This might sound wierd now but when you come to do it online it might help.

Also I just want to let June above know that I didn't send my signature in the end and still received my cheque BUT it could be that there was no link between the bank asking me for my signature and them asking you for yours. As long as you signed the letter you sent to them you should be OK. Obviously if you forgot to sign the letter (and it might be worth phoning the bank to check that isn't the case) they probably won't be able to process it. I don't think that they could legally disclose the details of someone's account without a signature as it could be anyone. If you printed the letter off the computer you might have forgotten? If you have any queries you can pm me if you want. Now that I have a cheque in my hands I feel that I should help others to be in the same position. :)

Hi there,

I presume you are sending the letters which are provided in the library section of this website. (if not, go to the top of this page, click the consumer action group link to take you out of this forum and then click on the templates library link.

Assuming you are using the templates provided by this site, the letter that you send before court action is called 'Preliminary approach for repayment'. Once you have sent this letter you have given the bank 14 days to respond before you take court action. They will probably send you a letter offering slightly less than half of what you are claiming. I wrote and rejected the partial offer, as most people do. When the fourteen days from the date of your Preliminary approach for repayment have elapsed you can start a claim with the online courts system (moneyclaim). The web link is www.moneyclaim.gov I think. If I have it wrong just google moneyclaim and you will get it. The site is self explanatory. It is the online court system for England. You will need to pay to use the service but the bank will refund this amount along with your claim. As I said earlier, the address for the Royal Bank of Scotland doesn't come up but I can assure you that it is RBS Group Litigation, 1 Princes Street, London, EC2R 8PB.

If you are not sure if you are at this stage, just read the letter you last sent them and if it has the 14 day deadline at the bottom of the page, then moneyclaim is your next step. If it doesn't have this 14 day bit, then you need to send them a letter with this bit in it next.

I hope that helps.

Hi Hostie, thanks for getting back to me and well done for getting your money back off them as they are a shower of prats, though all banks are the same.

to be honest i dont think i signed the letter as i printed it off but they had the letter for over 30 days and they wait until the last minute to send me that silly reply, however ive had a few things at home as my dad isnt very well and its taken me a while to reply to them, when i did i said that it was unacceptable to wait until the last minute to respond and tell me this and therefor i was giving them 5 days to reply with the statements from my accounts or i was going to report them. so will wait and see how that goes, as i dont want to guess at how much they owe me in charges and all the rest, i remember them taking £185 off me one time due to charges and things though not sure if that was withing the 6 yrs time period but i do know they have put me into arrears with everything i owe due to the amount the always charged just cause they take 6-8 weeks to change a date on a dd which is a loan with them, dont understand when everywhere else can change it there and then.

will wait on them getting back to me and will let you know, but again well done you for winning

June

Guest willowb
seemed to be worrying that there weren't many people who were claiming against RBS that were winning. :)

Hi Hostie,

Can you clarify this please? Do you mean people just give up because RBS can be quite intimidating? Obviously people haven't lost in court....

thanks

Wx

edited

Telewest v RBS

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland-bank/61214-telewest-rbs.html[/url]

Telewest v A&L

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester/61215-telwest-l.html[/url]

Telewest v Halifax

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank/63775-telewest-halifax.html[/url]

If I've helped - hit the scales and rate me!

Hi there, just to clarify - I haven't heard of anyone losing against any bank. I haven't heard of any going as far as court. When I said that before I won I was worrying because it didn't seem that people were winning against RBS I just meant that I couldn't find anyone online who had actually won. I think that is probably because most people don't need to come back to the forums once they have won and because there is normally a confidentiality agreement as part of the settlement. I hope I didn't put anyone off, it definately works, I am proof of that.

Thanks for the clarity Hostie, and congrats again on your win.

I think that is probably because most people don't need to come back to the forums once they have won

Hope that isnt the case, reeks of selfishness.

normally a confidentiality agreement as part of the settlement

Im surprised anyone accepts that as part of the settlement, I certainly wouldnt.!

Telewest v RBS

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland-bank/61214-telewest-rbs.html[/url]

Telewest v A&L

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester/61215-telwest-l.html[/url]

Telewest v Halifax

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank/63775-telewest-halifax.html[/url]

If I've helped - hit the scales and rate me!

• 3 weeks later...

thats me got my statements, what a shock to my system it is how much they have taken off me over the years, one month last year was nearly £200...blimey. what i was wanting to know though is beside most of the chg's there is also interest taken out can i claim this also or is it just the charges i can? also i know the answer to this but asking anyway, the money they on the odd occasion refunded i dont claim that back? and i add on the £10 for the dpa?

sorry im a bit clueless not been on in a while as my dad passed away last week and have had my mind occupied for some months with this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

June

Guest willowb

Hi June:)

I don't think you can claim the £10 DPA back, after all they did supply you with the statements. You can claim back the interest they have charged on your o/d ONLY if the o/d consists of unlawful charges....ok? And you cannot claim back the charges refunded.

Wxx