Anyone Else Been Told This Drivel?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5521 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Went £8.99 overdrawn inadvertently, genuine error, totally unaware of it. Just found out they have charged me a total of £73 for it.

The reason I was unaware of it is because they didn't send me bank statements for Jan/Feb, and then I couldn't get into my internet banking for ages despite two complaints. They sent me no letters, nothing. Of course I went mad at them and fired off a letter to Customer Relations. This after the cheeky little girl at my local branch told me "these are penalty charges"!

Response arrives today and of course they are 100% in the right every time.

But, and I have argued the toss just for something to do on the phone with them today, they tell me that they are no longer required to write and tell us when these things happen, it is perfectly acceptable for us to find out.

This was a situation where I made a card payment, which wasn't presented to my bank for two days apparently. In those two days I made a cash withdrawal and had a dd due out. I did a pen and paper exercise as no access to internet, no statement and miscalculated by £8.99. They paid the DD, and then the card payment was presented, went overdrawn so they charged me for paying the DD and for using "an instrument to guarantee a payment". I only have a debit card - basic one. I hope to goodness they still write to people who have DD's returned, or where would we all be?

Anyway, have a few days off so just going down the MCOL route - got the time. Like I told them, I don't care how long it takes I'll show them bloody unfair!

Why don't you record your calls.

These kinds of statements made by staff on the phone are very useful.

• 2 weeks later...

"But, and I have argued the toss just for something to do on the phone with them today, they tell me that they are no longer required to write and tell us when these things happen, it is perfectly acceptable for us to find out".

I am of the understanding that one of the reasons they give for charging these sums is that it is also to cover the cost of writing a letter which I believe is in the region of £15 or so they say...so if they have not informed you without writing and telling you how are you to know??

sparkie

For the OP, your case will be stayed automatically as it falls under the current OFT test case litigation. I might have argued the toss over the issue of the address. If it was the first time in the last 12 months that you had been charged, they would have written to you. I suspect the issue is with regards to the address and internet issues. Pity you couldn't have argued both issues at the same time. The cashier doesn't know what they are talking about ;)

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

I am of the understanding that one of the reasons they give for charging these sums is that it is also to cover the cost of writing a letter which I believe is in the region of £15 or so they say...so if they have not informed you without writing and telling you how are you to know??

This is what they would have us believe.

However, these letters are produced automatically, by computer. They also, I believe, get special postage rates because of the volume of post that they send.

The TRUE cost of sending you a letter is only coppers!

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....