Cunningham Lindsay ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3929 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm new to the forums hello all!

I'm just asking if anyone has had any experience of the loss adjusters Cunningham Lindsay?

My parents were unfortunate to have a house fire on the 2nd January which badly damaged their property. They are insured through Saga, which I understand is part of Norwich Union.

Cunningham Lindsay were appointed as the loss adjusters for the claim and house restoration. It has to be said they are the worst and most unprofessional outfit we have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

We are unable to speak to our alleged claims manager and loss adjuster as they never, ever answer phone calls and emails. They certainly never reply to messages or call us back. We have had instances of them putting the phone down on my parents. We have only seen the loss adjuster once in person! We never get updates as to what is happening regarding restoration, in fact is is very rare for them to call us at all.

They left us marooned in a motel for in excess o 4 weeks with delays moving into rented property (due to a forgotten cheque) which had been arranged 2 weeks after the fire by ourselves.

We are effectively our own claims managers, constantly calling the building contractors Asprea and sub contractors Ansa making arrangements for yet another 'inspection', and to find out when and if they are ever going to start work on the house.

To this date nearly 9 weeks after the fire, not one stitch of work has been done to start to restore the house, which has been sat damaged through one of the coldest winters for a good few years.

We really don't know where to go for advice on how to sort the mess out, we have a contact at the insurance company who trys to help, but once you put the phone down it seems we are forgotten about once again.:mad: We have lodged a complaint with the insurance company, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly you should make a complete reco0rd of everything which has happened and the way they have behaved and of anything that has been said.

Include as much documentary evidence as you can. You should record your calls if at all possible.

The insurers are responsible for their appointed agents. Send a formal letter of compalint to the insurers and propose legal action within 7 days if you do not get a satisfatory reply and that there is a dramatic change.

Suggest a meeting at your home with the insurer and the loss adjuster.

Make it clear that if you do not receive a satisactory response then you will begin legal action immediately for breach of contract. You are entitled under the contract to have a competent loss adjuster appointed for you and for the relevant inspections and work to go ahead smoothly and reasonably quickly.

Do not bother to do any of this if you are just bluffing.

Get yourself a small claims guide book to help you with your action.

I have also had a similar experience with Cunningham & Lyndsey appointed by SAGA insurance.

We had a serious house fire on January 13th, leaving us with a hole in the extension roof, smoke damage, no washing machine, tumble dryer, fridge or freezer, dish washer, and water damage to the ground floor and broken windows which Rainbow International bubble-wrapped.

We saw the loss adjuster from Cunningham & Lyndsey once, but his estimates for replacement of roof, electrics, plumbing, hacking off plaster and redecorating was only approximately £2000. The first builder's estimate was over £10,000 which Cunningham & Lyndsey rejected after sitting on it for over three weeks, which caused further delay.

It has taken me over three weeks to organise a second set of estimates, which still come to way over £2000, as there was also damage to the double glazed door and panels. This estimate has been sent back to the loss adjuster.

They seem to want you to use their builders - but on researching online - there are numerous complaints about the quality of their builders' work and I want the job to be done properly - not botched.

They also employed a company called Rainbow International who took away our winter coats to clean them - and then kept them for a month so that we had no winter coats throughout all that bad weather in January and February. We have only just had them returned. This company also left the carpets in a dangerous state so that I fell and injured myself, cracking my head on a table. My husband was also taken to hospital with a minor stroke(TIA) partly as a result of the stress of living in these circumstances.

We had also had a secondary leak from the damaged plumbing because of all the delay.

All I can say is - don't use SAGA or Norwich Union Insurance if you might need to claim on your home insurance, as my experience so far has been dreadful. Perhaps it might be possible to warn other people so that when their insurance comes up for renewal, they can choose a better company.

Edited by Janypem
forgot one fact and broke windows

• 3 months later...

hi, we had cunningham and lindsays appointment to over see our kitchen retoration due to flooding and oh my god we have had the exact same issues as yorself with them. 10 weeks now into the build and only because we got the last loss adjuster sacked for gross misconduct( he was a precosious idiot anyway) and are now dealing with the manager, who is absolutely brilliant, he actually reads the emails and returns your phone calls and can actually be contacted when he is in the office, which is amazing!!! we have had a bloody nightmare with this group of individuals, but as we have used the fact that our insurers,RBS, are employing them,and we will contact them if there is the slightest hint of another problem, they have turned from a pile of crap to unbelievably helpful in one phone call.

kind regards,

chris

• 4 weeks later...

had house fire, 207, completley destroyed my home, had dealings with cunningham and lindsey, thre my claim out didnt pay for my home. Very distraught over these imcompitent people. Have a solicitor on the case at the moment which is costing ALOT of money. Maybe we should form a group of people to protest witht he regards of cunnigham and lindsey, iccompitent people.

abbey home insurance i was insured with they put me in touch with cunningham and lindsey jan 13 2007 electrical fault in my loft it has to be the worst nightmare of my life went to ombidsman they ruled case would be better heard in court this is ongoing beware of cunningham lindsey people need to see what is going on same pattern with all claims

had house fire, 207, completley destroyed my home, had dealings with cunningham and lindsey, thre my claim out didnt pay for my home. Very distraught over these imcompitent people. Have a solicitor on the case at the moment which is costing ALOT of money. Maybe we should form a group of people to protest witht he regards of cunnigham and lindsey, iccompitent people.

How come it was thrown out?

My Claim Was Thrown Out Due To Material I Used From My Company To Cover My Roof She Said Costngs Were High Asked For There Costs Would Not Produce Them Still Waiting For Disclosure Of Documents Which Have Been Requested Four Times By Law These Have To Be Obtained Before Court Procedings Can Be Issued I Await Disclosure Of Cunningham Lindsey Files

Every Body Needs To Find Out Who Loss Ajusters Are Before They Take Out Insurance Cause You Will Not Get Paid Out On Your Policy My Payment Were Taken Direct Debit From Abbey Bank All Lies About Me From Cunningham Lindsey Norwich Union Just Choose To Take Stance With Them Dispite All Evidence I Have

You can ring Aviva and insist on using their Building Arm who are called Asprea

We found them to be very good and far superior to Cunningham Lindsey and Crawfords Loss Adjusters

The main problem with Crawfords and especially Cunningham and Lindsey is that they have used a smaller group of larger Building Companies for many years who offer a poor quality service due to poor admin and heavy workload

Nobody joins the or leaves their tender lists or approved list of Contractors

Many Loss Adjusters have addmitted to us off the record they try and avoid using their own Contactors as the complaints ratio is so high

and often fetch this up at meetings

But their Bosses take no notice and the same band of Builders are employed year in year out and no new Contractors no matter how impeccable their references may be, are given any opertunity to join this closed shop

This is right from the people in the know

FAO ASPREA:

I don't quite understand your position, you start off saying "You can ring Aviva and insist on using their Building Arm who are called Asprea

We found them to be very good and far superior to Cunningham Lindsey and Crawfords Loss Adjusters" in order to portray yourself as not being part of Asprea (although you chosen that name). You then decide later on in your comment "Many Loss Adjusters have addmitted to us off the record" to admit that you work for Asprea?

Why try to pretend your someone else in order to promote your company?

• 3 weeks later...

I had made a claim to my Insures, Saga for some jewellery I lost, think I threw out when cleaning, 2 rings earings and diamond pendant. It was Cunningham Lindsay who dealt with it. It appeared to go on for sometime and I had to keep chasing. CL then informed me IVAL would be dealing with it and send me a "card" for an amount of £10,690, they would not put anything in writing to me. I then discovered that there were certain items of jewellery I could not buy at Mappin & Webb with this card i.e. a rolex watch at £5,000. On speaking with CL and IVAL, they are saying that is correct, as I did not lose a rolex, which of course is true. CL should have informed myself that there were restrictions on the card. Is there anything I can do? I have had the card since May and it expires in one year. I do not wish to replaced the rings, all of the jewellery were presents from a partner, who I am no longer with, this is the reason I was looking at a watch.....what can I do

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

you need to remember your contract is with the insurer not the loss adjuster. If you are not satisfied with the loss adjusting company detail your complaint to the insurer and ask that they as the person you have the contract with deals with it.

Look at the following information from the Ombudsman:

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudman-news/10/oct-repair

It explains that where jewellery etc is sentimental or you don't want the same then you can isnsist on cash alternative and not discounted so that the insurer gets 10% back from you because they would normally use their suppliers - who would give them a discount!

Good Luck

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, I'm new to the forums hello all!

I'm just asking if anyone has had any experience of the loss adjusters Cunningham Lindsay?

My parents were unfortunate to have a house fire on the 2nd January which badly damaged their property. They are insured through Saga, which I understand is part of Norwich Union.

Cunningham Lindsay were appointed as the loss adjusters for the claim and house restoration. It has to be said they are the worst and most unprofessional outfit we have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

We are unable to speak to our alleged claims manager and loss adjuster as they never, ever answer phone calls and emails. They certainly never reply to messages or call us back. We have had instances of them putting the phone down on my parents. We have only seen the loss adjuster once in person! We never get updates as to what is happening regarding restoration, in fact is is very rare for them to call us at all.

They left us marooned in a motel for in excess o 4 weeks with delays moving into rented property (due to a forgotten cheque) which had been arranged 2 weeks after the fire by ourselves.

We are effectively our own claims managers, constantly calling the building contractors Asprea and sub contractors Ansa making arrangements for yet another 'inspection', and to find out when and if they are ever going to start work on the house.

To this date nearly 9 weeks after the fire, not one stitch of work has been done to start to restore the house, which has been sat damaged through one of the coldest winters for a good few years.

We really don't know where to go for advice on how to sort the mess out, we have a contact at the insurance company who trys to help, but once you put the phone down it seems we are forgotten about once again.:mad: We have lodged a complaint with the insurance company, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Hi please look under insurers and I will gladly help with any specific questions

How rude are you......of course this is not fraud. The jewellery was sentimal, it cannot be replaced, hence the reason I was looking at something different i.e. watch. I have paid house insurance for years and never had a claim, I most certaingly would not falsify a claim. In actual fact when I did go to the police to report it, the police officer, did exactly as I did. You clearly have some problem along the line........Enjoy your weekend :p

When you deal direct with an insurer you are your own insurance manager - bear that in mind

1. The private equity firm Charterhouse owns the Saga group, which was recently in a merger with the AA.

Charterhouse | Portfolio

2. Cunningham Lyndsey are major UK loss adjusters and should be capable of much better service than you describe. If anyone experiences such poor service then contact the complaints manager - you dont have to be rude or shout, just explain how miserable they are making life for you and say you want to complain

http://www.cunninghamlindsey.com/uk/about_us.asp?tab_id=16

For further details of our Complaints process, call our Product Assurance team on 01737 784749 or e-mail complaints@cl-uk.com

3. Asprea - are sometimes referred to by insurers as "loss adjusters" which is an insult to that particular profession. Asprea are nothing other than a glorified network of independent builders who insurers have outsourced some claims vetting and repair work to. Experience tells me their service is 10x worse than Cunningham Lindsay !!!! If you have problems with Asprea - go straight back to the insurance companies claims dept / their complaints dept and make your feelings known

It helps to keep notes of who you spoke to and when (even if leaving a message) - if you can list 3+ instances of calls not returned the person at the other end of the phone soon gets the message

• 2 weeks later...

:!:we too have had the unfortunate experiance of the numpties at cunningham lindsey,from telling us that my husband was not on the electoral role,i sent a copy of the registration of electors,to saying they believed the claim had been settled and the file had gone to storage,then they stated when my insurance company paid out to me they would pay my husband,and we are still battling on after 9 yes nine years,they are worse than useless,i would certainly join a group to question there ability to deal with people,i do not understand how they can be allowed to get away with this,do they think we will all give up,:!:

• 1 month later...

I was burgled twice this year in the middle of june and beginning of july, first time CL Cardiff were involved, sent someone out, and it was dealt with within 3 weeks.

I was burgled about 5 weeks after the first time in and my insurers put it in the hands of CL Glasgow.

My claim has so far been 'managed' by about 6-7 different people. I've left numerous phonecall messages, and have been rung back TWICE (in the region of 10 phonecalls a week I have been making) and I have also raised a complaint \against them. Their CONSTANT answer is 'Your file is being reviewed and someone will contact you tomorrow/within 24 hours/today.

The Ombudsman are sending out a form for me to complete regarding this claim as they believe my complaint regarding the length of time is ridiculous.

They have paid out regarding this 2nd Burglary for the TV but the fact that my bed was destroyed by the lil gits and they stole lots of other things...well... put it this way... the police caught the guy who did it, and he's been sentenced, served his time and released since being burgled...now...is this british justice? I'm still fighting for replacements for the items he stole and am STILL fighting...and he's at home right now probably playing my Xbox...

And is it just me or do they enjoy making you feel like a criminal for daring to claim on your house insurance?

Hi

Haven't heard of them to be honest, will get in touch.

Update since YESTERDAY (bearing in mind that this is ongoing for 6 months) I rang the actual insurance company after reading the threads on here.

got the usual 'it's being dealt with someone will ring you back' until I mentioned the fact that the ombudsman are getting involved now' and then I was passed to a supervisor, who looked over my case and said 'I'm extremely sorry sir, but this shouldn;t have happenned' etc etc...

10 minutes later, Cunningham Lindsay ring 'Hello, we're settling your claim today at such n such'... my jaw dropped. 6 months fighting and then one mention of the ombudsman and BANG... Only sting was the £150 excess. Still... it's all sorted now thank God...well, I'll REALLY relax when I get the cheques...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3929 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks