Should I Cancel Policy Or Pursue Claim?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son's car (insured 3rd party,F&T) was deliberately rammed at high speed in the rear corner on driver's side. The impact caused his car to spin and crash, damaging the front passenger side behind the door mirror. It may have to be written off. The other driver (OD) laughed and drove off. There were no witnesses.

The details of the incident were reported to the insurers and police and the OD's number plate was handed in to the police at it had dropped off at the scene. Our insurers areseeking details for their solicitors to puruse the uninsured losses (ULs)and want their repairs team to collect the car.

The OD was a right thug and I wouldn't want to pursue him for Uls unless my name, address and car number are kept secret from his insurers. After all, he's bound to deny liability and we may never get any money back. He has probably not even told his insurers about the incident.

If I cancelled the insurance policy now, I could get a refund on the remainder of the insurance period + tax disc refund (about £600) and no claim on the policy. I could get the car independently assessed and scrap it if advised it's a write off. If the insurers say it's a write off, I might get the same payout but there will be 2 write offs against my son's name as he wrotre another car off (his fault then ) 2 years ago (he's 19 now).

Any ideas about what I should do, and whether I can ensure that my details remain anonymous from the other driver's insurers?

Guest Old_andrew2018

I doubt that your son can prevent his details being passed to the other drivers insurers, why should they be withheld the other driver has a right to know who is accusing him, and what he is being accused of.

are the police prosecuting od for making off?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for your replies. On the anonymity point, this isn't a court of law (yet). The detailed facts regarding the incident (eg location, time and date, our car make and model, point of impact, etc) will be passed to the OD's insurers. These should be enough for the OD to decide whether he is going to admit liability or not, without needing to know my son's name and address.

The police haven't come back to us yet regarding a possible prosecution. As my son wasn't injured, they might not bother. However I hope they would tell the OD's insurers that theyre thinking about it.