Property management holding onto insurance payout

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5518 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm not sure where to put this really but I think it could go here.

I am writing on behalf of my brother. He recently bought and lives in a flat and its a leasehold and it has Managing Agents (BLR Property Management) who are currently managing the flats.

A loose soil stack flooded his basement (with some kind of sewerage no less frown.gif ) and he claimed on the insurance. There ahs been absolutely loads of mucking about with BLR (sending round someone who had no idea of what to do and who instead asked my brother if he thought the hole in the wall should be bricked up or plastered!)

It turns out that the soil stack was put in place badly and there was a chance of the insurance not paying out. If the insurance did pay out it would cost £1200 and not the £3000 that BLR had put a claim in for!

Anyway, long story short - the insurance paid out £1157. They sent it to the managing agents. BLR Property management have kept the cheque (but not cashed it yet apparently) and are now no longer taking my brothers calls. If he calls they say the guy he has been dealing with is in a meeting and nobody calls him back. His emails are ignored.

My brothers basement has been flooded, he needs to redecorate and get new carpets. He really needs this money.

How exactly do we get the money off them? Can anyone help? This has been going on for months!!

Is your brothers letting agency members of NAEA, the National Association of Estate Agents, I know some are the one I used to work for were. If they are your brother could call them and say if I don't get a call back from one of agents by such and such time I will be going to the NAEA to make a complaint, and see how fast they get on the phone.

Also does your brother know the insurance company who sent the cheque to the letting agents, because another course of action is ring the insurance company and tell them that the letting agents are with holding the cheque from you and in turn allowing the damage to become worse. So could they stop that cheque and issue another one and send it direct to your brother.

If what we say helps you, then please tip the scales.:cool:

If the flats are managed with a letting agency, the owner has no dealings with them the tenant, the agency deals with everything on their behalf(been their done that!!!!), they take the rent deal, with maintenace they pay for the work to be done and take it out of the rent collected in. And past the rest to he owner.

Edited by Gary29

If what we say helps you, then please tip the scales.:cool:

Gary29

I also have owned a leasehold property (never again) and part of the service charge pays for the building insurance. It sounds as if the management company (of which you as the flat owner would normally be a shareholder) has been sent the cheque for the repairs and this has not been passed on to the flat owner. Management Companies are usually limited companies and have legal obligations. The two websites listed should give advice on how to resolve disputes like this. My take is that the management company know they are in the wrong because they haven't attempted to cash the cheque. Hopefully advice from the LVT will 'encourage' them to do the right thing.

• Haha 1

thanks for this. My brother emailed the insurance company asking about the possibility of them rescinding the current cheque and issuing a new one to him.

I will however, give him these links as I think this is going to drag on for a bit longer.

thanks very much for your hlelp