HMCS procedure over fine collection

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5549 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If HMCS issue a 'grant of time to pay' notice in relation to an unpaid fine for a motoring offence, and I do not respond to the notice, what is likely to be their next action? Is it possible they will issue a distress warrant straight away without further notice, or is it necessary for it to go to court first?

The situation is that I received such a notice from a non-local HMCS office relating to a fine dating from 2004. I have no previous knowledge of the offence or the fine. I understand from bailiffadviceonline that I can phone them and ask to make a Statutory Declaration and have the fine set aside, which I will do. However, if the deadline on the notice has already expired, is it possible that they may have already issued a distress warrant, or would I receive some further warning/notice to attend court or some such?

If anyone reading this has any knowledge of the likely procedure, it would be very helpful.

Many thanks,

Greetings,

tonkatoy

Edited by tonkatoy

Oh, is that something akin to a debt being statute barred? If so do you happen to know what are the applicable time limits?

Can anyone else answer the remaining question: as the deadline is passed, am I now at risk of being hit with an (un)expected distress warrant, or must I receive some other communication prior to that?

Edited by tonkatoy

oh I see, no it's not what I meant, I thought you were suggesting the fine might be too old to collect (duhhh)..

regardless of my options for making statutory declaration or late payment etc, it would be reassuring to know that the warrant might not actually be imminent, because there is a necessary further stage of warning/communication, if that were the case..

Don't know, never heard of a grant of time to pay....

The out of time thing is that you are past the time for putting in the Statutory Declaration, but asking to anyway, for specified reasons which can be accepted, or not.

Why aren't we revolting?

Cambridgeshire (I am now in London)

I guess the problem would be, having made an out of time SD, then having to persuade the bailiff at the door of the reality of it..

Edited by tonkatoy