• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS

tedblue
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1849 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

New to the forum but just wanted to put forward my tale. I run a small business in gents clothing and as many do with a startup I have struggled along for 2 years trying to make ends meet. After all their initial promises of support and business managers on hand and so on and so forth I now find myself in serious financial difficulties. I have applied for loans through the bank but ended up having to go through seperate brokers, I applied for overdraft extensions which are then refused due to the condition of the account and so you find yourself stuck in a rut.

I have creditors who I have to repay and so after speeaking to them I set up repayment schemes over a period of time. All fine and dandy but also dependent on sales. I explained this to the bank and asked for some flexibility.........and got none. So everytime I now have a standing order or direct debit not clearing, or a cheque that bounces, I incur up to £140 a day in charges, so making my position even more difficult, leaving me feel as if my life is in a permanent treadmill of charges and debt. There does not seem to be an escape, there does not seem to be an answer and my business is going down the swanny.

Do I have a case to chase up all these charges even though they are of my making? It could end up as quite a large amount.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Please read the FAQs and around the forum. All will become clear.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

Cheers Richard,

Went through the FAQ and thought "there must be a loophole I'm missing?" but if that is the way then that is fine by me. Going to get the ball rolling today and go from there. It will be nice for them to pay off the overdraft they would not extend for me!

Cover me, I'm going in ;)

Initial process is under way. I would like to know if there is any purpose to sending an informal email to somebody like Margaret King, stating that I will pursue the case unles they look into and rectify my account.

Couild it work against me if we do end up in court?

Ok, I knew things were bad but having gone through the online statements since January, I have been charged £5000 in 4 months. This is just the start from the payment plans I have set up with a variety of companies who I owe to, where missed payments have compounded the problem. I could have cleared my debts with the charges alone.

As i have these invoices readily available can I put this claim in immediately and then go back later for the rest?

Sorry if this is covered in the FAQ, but I hear you live for this ;)

I have only been trading for 3 years and the difficulties only really came about in the last 15 months, so that is what I am really interested in. Going on these figures I would say I will be looking at about 14K as it has been slowly escalating. It is the worst it has ever been currently so the further I look back the monthly charges will reduce.

Theyreceived the DPA request last Friday

£15K takes you very seriusly out of the Small Calims track. I would recommend that you sever the claim

Yes, I think that you will have to. Try £4,500 for the first and see how it goes. Do them completely separately one after another. Otherwise the bank may try to consolidate the claim.

Hi there, Hope this goes well for you, strangly I too owned a small gents clothing company and a RBS account, I too found them incredibly unhelpful and various cashflow and bank problems eventually caused me to call it a day. Who knows how much my company was charged by the bank - just wish i had found this website earlier. Keep us posted.

You may well find that if you break the amounts up to keep them in small claims RBS will get the message and do a deal to get rid of the whole thing. I must say though, £15k in three years is a hell of a lot of charges! I think it's important that you pick your moves very carefully, and don't agree to anything they propose without thinking long and hard.

Do you have an overdraft or loans which exceed the amount of the charges? If so, then you need to be ready for the fact that they will almost certainly terminate your account if they're forced to hand back that much dosh.

It's not clear from your posts which part of the country you're from. If you're in Scotland, the small claims limit is £750, not £5k.

• Confused 1

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

What is the status over business cheques? Once bounced and then represented can the same charge be applied time and time again? If the bank continues to represent then they can just have field day with the charges surely?

The charges are unlawful, full stop. Doesn't matter if it's business or personal, or how many times it's presented.

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

• 3 weeks later...
What is the status over business cheques? Once bounced and then represented can the same charge be applied time and time again? If the bank continues to represent then they can just have field day with the charges surely?

Yes this can keep happening but cheques will bounce completely and be sent back after 2-3 attempts. Yes they are all illegal so claim it all back.

(Yes I work for a bank but am here to help! Please be nice to me! :))

• 4 weeks later...

Any news tedblue?

Regards,

Bean

Lloyds TSB - 27/11/06 - £6377 paidrest with FOS

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

Lloyds TSB (MC) - 20/10/06 (BY DEF) £372

Hitachi Cap - Nov. 06 - £207

Citi Cards - 28/12//06 - £220

Monument - 23/1/07 - £889

Barclaycard (Mrs. Bean) - 19/2/07 £376

Opinions / advice of Bean are independent, informal, without prejudice, without liability, not CAG endorsed. If in doubt, ask a qualified professional.

Having reveiwed matters carefully it is clear that the Bank/ Customer relationship has broken down irretrievably and we believe it would be in your best interest to make alternative banking arrangements.

Then runs into a break down that I have 30 days to to make alternative arrnagements for my receipts and payments, and that my overdraft will be removed.

I don't think they can terminate your account just like that. You do have a contract with them and refusing to accept their unlawful terms doesn't entitle them to tear it up. I suggest you contact Bankfodder about this - he seems to know a lot about it.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1849 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks