Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

RBS

Basic Account Holder tedblue Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Mar 2006

Default Tedblue V RBS

Hi,

New to the forum but just wanted to put forward my tale. I run a small business in gents clothing and as many do with a startup I have struggled along for 2 years trying to make ends meet. After all their initial promises of support and business managers on hand and so on and so forth I now find myself in serious financial difficulties. I have applied for loans through the bank but ended up having to go through seperate brokers, I applied for overdraft extensions which are then refused due to the condition of the account and so you find yourself stuck in a rut.

I have creditors who I have to repay and so after speeaking to them I set up repayment schemes over a period of time. All fine and dandy but also dependent on sales. I explained this to the bank and asked for some flexibility.........and got none. So everytime I now have a standing order or direct debiticon not clearing, or a cheque that bounces, I incur up to 140 a day in charges, so making my position even more difficult, leaving me feel as if my life is in a permanent treadmill of charges and debt. There does not seem to be an escape, there does not seem to be an answer and my business is going down the swanny.

Do I have a case to chase up all these charges even though they are of my making? It could end up as quite a large amount.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder richardc Novitiate richardc's Avatar

Cagger since : Feb 2006

Yes. Please read the FAQs and around the forum. All will become clear.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.
    Follows
    Following

Cheers Richard,

Went through the FAQ and thought "there must be a loophole I'm missing?" but if that is the way then that is fine by me. Going to get the ball rolling today and go from there. It will be nice for them to pay off the overdraft they would not extend for me!

Cover me, I'm going in

Initial process is under way. I would like to know if there is any purpose to sending an informal email to somebody like Margaret King, stating that I will pursue the case unles they look into and rectify my account.

Couild it work against me if we do end up in court?

Ok, I knew things were bad but having gone through the online statements since January, I have been charged 5000 in 4 months. This is just the start from the payment plans I have set up with a variety of companies who I owe to, where missed payments have compounded the problem. I could have cleared my debts with the charges alone.

Site Team The Consumer Action Group Docubot Novitiate

Cagger since : Jan 2006

And so you shall...

Advice & opinions of Dave and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.
    Follows
    Following

I love your confidence. It brings a great big ray of sunlight into my grey day

We/you have everything to be confident about.

The charges are unlawful, we know it, the law knows it and we can suppose the banks know it - hence they pay up rather than test their resolve in court.

I would send them the letter in the libraryicon as soon as possible - give them the 14 days to give the cash back - then when they don't start proceedings - you'll soon get it back then.

Advice & opinions of Dave and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.
    Follows
    Following

As i have these invoices readily available can I put this claim in immediately and then go back later for the rest?

Sorry if this is covered in the FAQ, but I hear you live for this

Well, that depends. Have they got your DPA request?

If so, then it might be worth waiting - the only thing is of course that your claim is going to be for over 5k - which means that in the unlikely event that you were to go to court and lose, you wouldn't be protected from their legal costs.

I usually advice people to break it into 2 or 3 claims - one for DDicon's, one for cheques and one for SO's.

However, if you've been regularly charged over a grand a month - then this isn't going to help much, so you may as well go for the 5k and then go back for more.

I'm not too sure about this one - how much do you estimate they have taken over the 6 year period?

Follows
    Following

I have only been trading for 3 years and the difficulties only really came about in the last 15 months, so that is what I am really interested in. Going on these figures I would say I will be looking at about 14K as it has been slowly escalating. It is the worst it has ever been currently so the further I look back the monthly charges will reduce.

Theyreceived the DPA request last Friday

Site Team The Consumer Action Group BankFodder has disabled reputation BankFodder's Avatar

Blog Entries

15K takes you very seriusly out of the Small Calims track. I would recommend that you sever the claim

Warning: I use dictation software. Beware of homophones!
    Have you read our dealing with customer services guide?
    Please don't pm me about specific questions unless you have posted and it has not been dealt with or unless the matter is confidential.

All attribution rights and moral rights in my copyright work are asserted
    Advice & opinions of BankFodder, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.
    Follows
    Following

I have not made the claim as of yet. What I was considering was making it as several small claimsicon, all under 5K

Site Team The Consumer Action Group BankFodder has disabled reputation BankFodder's Avatar

Blog Entries

Yes, I think that you will have to. Try 4,500 for the first and see how it goes. Do them completely separately one after another. Otherwise the bank may try to consolidate the claim.

Warning: I use dictation software. Beware of homophones!
    Have you read our dealing with customer services guide?
    Please don't pm me about specific questions unless you have posted and it has not been dealt with or unless the matter is confidential.

All attribution rights and moral rights in my copyright work are asserted
    Advice & opinions of BankFodder, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder djscissorkicks Novitiate

Default Re: RBS

Hi there, Hope this goes well for you, strangly I too owned a small gents clothing company and a RBSicon account, I too found them incredibly unhelpful and various cashflow and bank problems eventually caused me to call it a day. Who knows how much my company was charged by the bank - just wish i had found this website earlier. Keep us posted.

Basic Account Holder thegoodsamaritan Novitiate thegoodsamaritan's Avatar

All the best.

Let us know how you go

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    seylectric Informative seylectric Informative seylectric Informative

Good thread, please keep us informed.

Received an email from the RBOS that they are now forwarding all my statements from the last three years to my local branch for collection.

Very nice of them

Gold Account Holder Robertxc Highly informative Robertxc Highly informative Robertxc Highly informative Robertxc Highly informative Robertxc Highly informative Robertxc Highly informative Robertxc's Avatar

You may well find that if you break the amounts up to keep them in small claimsicon RBSicon will get the message and do a deal to get rid of the whole thing. I must say though, £15k in three years is a hell of a lot of charges! I think it's important that you pick your moves very carefully, and don't agree to anything they propose without thinking long and hard.

Do you have an overdraft or loans which exceed the amount of the charges? If so, then you need to be ready for the fact that they will almost certainly terminate your account if they're forced to hand back that much dosh.

It's not clear from your posts which part of the country you're from. If you're in Scotland, the small claims limit is £750, not £5k.

Robertxc v. Abbey - 3300 Settled in full
    Robertxc v. Clydesdale - 750 Settled in full
    Nationwide v. Robertxc - 2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff
    Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff
    Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. 750 compensation
    Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. 2000 compensation, default removed

[B] The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.
    Follows
    Following

What is the status over business cheques? Once bounced and then represented can the same charge be applied time and time again? If the bank continues to represent then they can just have field day with the charges surely?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details