Claiming VAT on Shoes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just had to buy my 13 yo daughter some Jazz shoes for a show she is in shortly. She has size 6 feet - adult size. I have been charged vat on this.

When I queried this, I was told that size 6 shoes and above are subject to VAT irrespective of whether the shoe is for a child or not.

I this person speaking out of their what-not? Can I claim the vat back?

I know what you mean, my lad is 13 and has size 10 1/2 feet - he was in a 7 by age 8 so we have been paying VAT for years :(

You've also probably been paying VAT on his clothes too. The real problem we've found is when they get to size 12+ you can't find reasonably priced shoes at all!!

And sorry to say, im a size 14! When I go shopping for shoes / trainers, its a case of...

hi there, whats the largest shoe size you do?

We stock a large range of shoes, in various sizes sir, would you like to see the range?

No thanks, just the largest size you do...

12!

Ok thanks for your time, sorry to say, im a size 14, off to the next shop...

Ps.. best place i've ever found is in Florida.. Shoes / Trainers up to Uk size 17!!

have a great weekend all.

be safe

JGG :)

• 8 years later...

I know this is a really old thread but it is something I am only just experiencing.

I went to a well known sports shop yesterday to buy some trainers for my grandson. He takes a size 6 shoe which this store now say is an adult size and consequently liable for VAT.

When I looked at the post above and checked the HMRC site they state that sizes up to 6.5 are still classed as child size and not liable to VAT.

Can I claim the VAT back from the company?

Thanks.

I know this is a really old thread but it is something I am only just experiencing.

I went to a well known sports shop yesterday to buy some trainers for my grandson. He takes a size 6 shoe which this store now say is an adult size and consequently liable for VAT.

When I looked at the post above and checked the HMRC site they state that sizes up to 6.5 are still classed as child size and not liable to VAT.

Can I claim the VAT back from the company?

Thanks.

Perhaps they had this in mind

"4.3.3 Unisex footwear

Most lines of footwear are designed for one sex or the other, either in overall construction or by the choice of colour and trim. You should zero rate such footwear according to the rules relating to girls’ or boys’ footwear as appropriate.

True ‘unisex’ footwear is as suitable for girls as it is for boys and can only be zero rated up to and including size 5½, the maximum size for girls footwear."

In any case while the rules permit children's shoes to be zero rated for VAT they don't impose a legal duty on the retailer to zero rate, so you couldn't claim back the VAT even if the retailer had interpreted the rules wrongly.