Being chased by Legal Services Commision for unknown old debt

Bleri
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2015 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have today recieved the following letter from Legal Services Commission dated 12-01-09

You were informed on 05 October 2001 that your certificate had been revoked. This means that you now have to pay all the costs originally paid by Legal Services Commission under this certificate. The amount you must pay is £1209.79.

You must either pay this amount by 02 February 2009 or, if you are unable to do this, you must tell us how you propose to pay.

You must write with your proposals to the Debt Recovery Unit, Legal Services Commission, Exchange Tower, 2 Harbour Exchange Square, London E14 9GE. Your letter must be received by 02 February 2009. Please remember to quote your reference number on any letter you write.

Yours sincerely

My first reaction was "what the ...." had no idea what it was talking about and frankly I'm still not sure. However I understand these are the Legal Aid people and back in the last century I did have some Legal Aid work done for a custody case which was resolved in Oct 1999.

I think I had to make a contribution for something like £80.00 at the time. Anyway case was won and we moved on, literally as we also moved house in Feb 2001, never to hear anything since.

Then we get this letter out of the blue and I'm not sure what to do with it. I had a look at the National Debtline Helpsheet but didn't feel that there examples covered this kind of debt, so I phoned them. Got a nice automated voice explaing that they record this call and any case papers could be forwarded to Legal Services Commission, at which point I panicked and put the phone down.

I'd be grateful for some advice, personally I'd like to just chuck it in the bin and forget it but I'm not sure that's the best move.

Thanks

My feeling is that this is statute barred, if you have not made a payment towards the debt or acknowledged it in 6 years (5 in Scotland - let us know if you are in Scotland as it will be a different letter) then it will be.

Send letter 'M' from here by recorded delivery - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Thanks for that however I certainly haven't acknowledged it .......... ever. I am only presuming its something to do with an old Legal Aid case I had. I've never, to my knowledge received the notification mentioned and may not even owe that money in any case.

I would have to severely change Letter M to fit. In fact would I maybe be better of writing to them just saying I have no idea what you are talking about but if any debt was owed it would be statute barred and therefore unenforceable?

Hi, I will try and find out if the LSC can do this - I do suspect that you will be able to fight them on the statute barred basis.

If your certificate was revoked I wonder why?

Will come back to you tomorrow when I have looked into this.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Hi, I will try and find out if the LSC can do this - I do suspect that you will be able to fight them on the statute barred basis.

If your certificate was revoked I wonder why?

Will come back to you tomorrow when I have looked into this.

I have no idea why it would be revoked two years after the fact but as I've never heard anything about it until now I guess the notification never caught up with my house move.

At the very least I will want to know why also?

If LSC revoke your certificate this is generally because you do not tell them about a change in your financial situation. This means that you now have to pay all the costs originally paid by Legal Services Commission to your Solicitor.

I certainly would not put this in the bin and forget about it as you are not dealing with a stupid DCA. You should contact your regional LSC office or the following address and ask them what this is regarding as you do not acknowledge any debt to them.

Land Charge Department

Legal Services Commission

85 Gray's Inn Road

London

WC1X 8TX

Tel: 020 7759 1002

email: [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this but just in case someone else comes up against the same issue, I wrote to the LSC advising them I had no knowledge of the debt and had received no correspondence relating to it. I also stated that if such a debt was owed then surely it was Statute Barred.

This is the reply I got.

You had an emergency legal aid certificate and were offered a substantive certificate, which you did not take up, therefore leaving you liable for the costs expended under the emergency certificate. Letters were sent to you and your solicitor at the time.

However, the revocation of the certificate took place on 5th January 2001 and your solicitors did not confirm a final bill until 12th January 2009. Therefore the debt is clearly Statue Barred and has been written off our system.

So I can now file and forget.

Yes you certainly can :)

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 9 years later...

The telephone number quoted below is out of date: please try 0300 200 2020

If LSC revoke your certificate this is generally because you do not tell them about a change in your financial situation. This means that you now have to pay all the costs originally paid by Legal Services Commission to your Solicitor.

I certainly would not put this in the bin and forget about it as you are not dealing with a stupid DCA. You should contact your regional LSC office or the following address and ask them what this is regarding as you do not acknowledge any debt to them.

Land Charge Department

Legal Services Commission

85 Gray's Inn Road

London

WC1X 8TX

Tel: 020 7759 1002

[/email]

Yes, but unfortunately the new Legal Aid Agency which replaced the LSC in 2013 is sending out correspondence with no new contact information. People are therefore searching for advice on forums like this one and finding the old telephone number, or going back to their old correspondence with LSC. I work in the office which now has the old LSC telephone number and we deal with several calls each week and give out the new number. Happy to do this, but thought it would be helpful to all to post the new contact telephone number.