a starting point please!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5578 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i have taken charge of trying to sort out my 21 yr old brothers debts as he is in a total state and is making himself ill over the issues. i have been given all the correspondence and i need some advice on where to start with this. basically i need a letter i can send to each making an initial offer he can afford, not the massive amounts they demand he pays. he took on 100% mortgage at the age of 19 and is worried sick about repossession and going under and is in no way trying to get out of any of the debts, i just need to know what i can do to get him a fair payment on each so he can still pay his mortgage and live. he has as follows...

aktiv capital - £457.15 for an unknown debt

- £515.01 for an unknown debt

pheonix commercial - £1037.91 for council tax

anglian water - £216.04

BT - £312.71

can i request an assesment of income/outgoings from them so we can make an offer on them all? is there a template for this? and also is there a template we can send to pheonix to call off the baliffs as they have been round and stood outside his door until my stepfather went and gave them £100 cash. he has been too afraid to even start to deal with any of them, luckily i found out before he loses everything to the baliffs.

i would appreciate any response.

cheers.

Hello there,

The council tax / utility bills are 1 issue, but the aktiv capital amount

and the other 1, is that a month? and what is it?

There are different ways to approach this - but you need to give more detail to get the right help.

Are they credit card debts or personal loans?

The more information you (or your brother!) can provide the better.

Then we can see which way to start!

:)

Hi,

His priority debts are the council tax and the water but for aktiv i would send this letter:

Dear Sir/Madam

Account no:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

**Edit to suit**

Remember, don’t sign the letter.

I'm assuming he has a CCJ for the council tax.

You need to come to an arrangement with phoenix re: payments.

BT. Again contact them and try to get payments reduced to a level he can afford. there are letters on the forum which you can send but if you act on his behalf, make sure you enclose a letter of authority with any correspondence.

fox

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE