• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS/DirectLine 'misfiled' my Agreement

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5497 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Greetings everyone, happy new year!

I CCA'd DirectLine/RBS for my credit card agreement and this is the reply I got back!

"Dear MissC

I write with reference to your current request under section 78(1) to supply copies of the original agreement set out under the Consumer Credit Act.

I enclose the most recent statement showing the balance and payments due, as well as copy of the current T&C's.

We regret to advise that the agreement has been misfiled and despite searching our records we have been unable to locate it. Regrettably we are unable to comply with your request made under section 78(1) of the CCA and return your £1 you paid. Notwithstanding this the agreement remains valud, and we expect you to continue to meet your obligations under the agreement.

We should point out that if you do not resume making payments we will report the default to the Credit Reference Agencies. Section 78 (6) 'Unenforceable' only prevents us from pursuing recovery of the debt through the courts.

I trust this clarifies the matter for you.

Yours sincerely

Accounts Manager"

Well then, what do we all think of this?? I've read hammy's thread so should I send the same letter? This could be interesting:D

I don't know what letter hammy sent on his thread but this is what I did on mine http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/93884-wescot-rbofs-oh-dear.html

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Greetings everyone, happy new year!

I CCA'd DirectLine/RBS for my credit card agreement and this is the reply I got back!

"Dear MissC

I write with reference to your current request under section 78(1) to supply copies of the original agreement set out under the Consumer Credit Act.

I enclose the most recent statement showing the balance and payments due, as well as copy of the current T&C's.

We regret to advise that the agreement has been misfiled and despite searching our records we have been unable to locate it. Regrettably we are unable to comply with your request made under section 78(1) of the CCA and return your £1 you paid. Notwithstanding this the agreement remains valud, and we expect you to continue to meet your obligations under the agreement.

We should point out that if you do not resume making payments we will report the default to the Credit Reference Agencies. Section 78 (6) 'Unenforceable' only prevents us from pursuing recovery of the debt through the courts.

I trust this clarifies the matter for you.

Yours sincerely

Accounts Manager"

Well then, what do we all think of this?? I've read hammy's thread so should I send the same letter? This could be interesting:D

Standard RBS letter which means they either haven't got your agreement or alternatively that it is unenforceable....................

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

I sent the letter that was posted in my thread (apologies but I don't know the author) but I feel nothing is going to come of it but at least I have their letter in case they send a DCA to enforce I suppose.

Oh happy days.

Hammyhound (I am female by the way)

I'll send the letter to them anyway, and am going to see what people on here reckon about trying to get my charges back. There's only a few but every little helps in this climate! Didn't I read somewhere (maybe the Barclaycard thread that you may be able to claim back everything ever paid to them? That would be hysterical but I probably misread it. Would just be happy to have balance at zero! Cheers HH(fm):)

I sent the letter that was posted in my thread (apologies but I don't know the author) but I feel nothing is going to come of it

This is the letter I sent to RBS.

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for your letter dated xxxx, however I find it difficult to believe that you have mislaid such an important document as the copy of the credit agreement.

I have today received a letter from Wescot Credit Services informing me, that you have informed them; you are only legally obliged to keep copy agreements for a 6 year period. As I’m sure you are aware, this 6 year period starts from the closing of an account not the opening of one.

It would appear that you have failed in your obligations to comply with the various anti money laundering regulations in not keeping such documents. This, as I’m sure you are aware, is a very serious offence.

I now require the balance of this account to be returned to zero.

Please note you may also consider this letter a statutory notice under Section 10 of the Data Protection Act to cease processing any data in relation to this account with immediate effect. This means you must remove all information regarding this account from your own internal records and from my records with any credit reference agencies. Should you refuse to comply, you must within 14 days provide me with a detailed breakdown of your reasoning behind continuing to process my data. It is not sufficient to simply state that you have a ‘legal right’, you must outline your reasoning in this matter and state upon which legislation this reasoning depends.

Should you fail to respond within 14 days, I will expect that this means you agree to remove all such data.

Furthermore, you should be aware that a creditor is not permitted to take any action against an account whilst it remains in dispute. The lack of a credit agreement is a very clear dispute and as such the following would apply:

• You may not demand any payment on the account, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you.
  • You may not add any further interest or charges to the account.
  • You may not pass the account to any third party.
  • You may not register any information in respect of the account with any of the credit reference agencies.
  • You may not issue a default notice related to the account.

Please be aware, the CCA 1974 is very clear that a default can only be issued for breach of a valid, regulated agreement. As there is no agreement a default cannot be lawfully issued as no valid, regulated agreement has been breached.

Furthermore, please be aware that the recent letter I received from Nelson Guest & Partners Solicitors could, under the Administration of Justice Act 1970 section 40, be construed as unlawful harassment. As Wescot Credit Services are your agent any court claim regarding harassment would be brought against both Wescot and yourselves, as you would be complicit in this action.

I would ask that you review this account and respond favourably within 14 days of the date of this letter. Failure to do so will result in me reporting this matter to The Financial Crime Branch of HM Treasury and any other authorities as I see fit.

I look forward to your reply in due course.

Yours faithfully

And this was their reply

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/93884-wescot-rbofs-oh-dear-4.html#post996286

There's only a few but every little helps in this climate! Didn't I read somewhere (maybe the Barclaycard thread that you may be able to claim back everything ever paid to them?

There is no basis in law for doing this. It would be deemed as unjust enrichment and if you were to bring such a case you may become liable for several thousand pounds worth of costs.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi Rory, am keeping my fingers crossed that I get the same result as you, and many thanks for posting your 'template' letter for us to use. It was rather tongue-in-cheek my comment about claiming everything back as I really would be ecstatic to have my balance reduced.

Hi Alangee, of course you can. I would like to have been able to pick up my copy of the agreement see what date I opened it too but unfortunately I haven't got a copy;) But... I just rang to ask them and according to their system (if we can rely on it being better than their filing system!) it was 16 March 2001. Whilst I was on the phone I said to the chap that as RBS couldn't supply me with a copy of my agreement after 'misfiling' it so could he send me all my statements since I opened the account. He was fine with it and didn't mention the £10 fee.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, update. I sent 'I find it difficult to believe that you have mislaid such an important document...' letter and here is their reply!

img006.jpg

Any comments welcome. I've just had a call from them chasing payment and the letter states this is their final response. Do I now report them to the Financial Ombudsman and is there anyone else I can report them to? Thanks all, MissC:)

• 2 weeks later...

misscynical

Could you tell me who the letter was signed by or sent by? It seems like a weird reply being that the debt is not made void with no contract yet they cannot make you pay it through the courts should you stop paying!! Seems a bit contradictory to me?

It seems like a weird reply being that the debt is not made void with no contract yet they cannot make you pay it through the courts should you stop paying!! Seems a bit contradictory to me?
The debt is not void because it still exists. They just can't make you pay it. They can charge interest and send out statements to their hearts content....and then you can just bin them and forget about them :)

I am atm trying to get a default removed from Mint and they have openly admitted they have no copy agreement for me (besides my signed application form). I am still paying them £15.00 per month with no interest being added as the account is terminated. Am I right in saying that because they have no contract for me, if I stopped paying, they cannot make me through the courts - but what would happen with my account with the CRA's, can Mint make it any worse than they have with the default? I am paying for something that basically they cant make me pay for but will not remove the default.

What are your ideas on non payment? They would contact me and say pay now, and I'd say I'll pay you when you remove the default...hmm I wonder whether that would work? Either they DO have a signed agreement and havent given it to me yet - or they dont have the agreement like they have told me and cannot make me pay. I wouldnt consider this if I didnt have the default but seeing as I already do then do I have anything to lose? I WILL fight the default removal until the end, but would it make matters worse in trying to get the default removed if I stopped paying? I just dont know!

• 1 month later...

Hi lil old me, sorry for delay in replying. The letter was signed by H E Bower. I complaied to the FOS and RBS then sent a letter saying they would refund £42 in charges to my account. As I decided to go bankrupt on 29 January I didn't bother replying. I might tell the Official Receiver that the account was in dispute as no CCA but doubt she'll be interested:-) Good luck, am still subscribed to thread so interested to see what happens. MissC