Council Tax on second property - that I have been trying to sell for a year

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5587 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I moved into rented accommodation a year ago, to be nearer my job. Since then I have had my own Birmingham house for sale with a main agent - the house has been empty since then, and I am paying full Council Tax to the Local Authority where I now live.

BUT, the Birmingham L.A. are demanding full Council Tax for my empty / owned property. They gave me a few months grace, but now want full payments ging forward.

It is totally unjust for B'ham to want money for absolutely nothing. I use no police, fire, dustbin, library, school, health or any other services in B'ham. How do they justify charging for these things? There must be many people trying to sell their houses currently who are stung by this?

Any comments?

The govt is so busy wasting money supporting the banks et al, that all govt departments are clawing in money wherever they can.

There has been a change in the law recently which means that landlords of unleased business premesis have to pay 100% business rates.

Buildings are being knocked down because their owners simply cannot afford this. Also the tax laws on "work in progress" have been changed.

In our business it can take between 6 months and 2 years to be paid for work, and work can be returned so no payment is due.

We have to pay tax instantly we begin work - which means we are paying out tax on money we wont get for possibly 2 years and may indeed never get.

If you over pay then you can claim back next year, but of course if you go bankrupt in the meantime because of this huge hike in tax burder, you cannot claim back the tax already paid.....

I could go on but I won't