• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Data protection and CCTV -your rights.

MARTIN3030
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5589 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Following a few recent posts concerning this I am making a stickie.

You will see that the Data Protection act is very comrehensive in this area.

Subjects are perfectly able to make a request for a copy of images or stills,but there is a lot to read up on so that you know the specifics in making a request.First I am posting up guidance from the Act itself.

Some templated letters will also be added for applications.

The Data Protection Act & CCTV

The Data Protection Act 1998 is based on the following Eight Principles:

Section 4(4) of the Data Protection Act 1998 places all Data Controllers under a duty to comply with the Eight Principles of Data Protection.

As a quick reference guide:

First Principle

Personal data shall be processed fairly and lawfully, and, in particular, shall not be processed unless

a.At least one of the conditions of Schedule 2 is met, and

b.In the case of sensitive personal data, at least one of the conditions of Schedule 3 is also met.

Second Principle

Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes, and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes

Third Principle

Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they are processed

Fourth Principle

Personal data shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date

Fifth Principle

Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes

Sixth Principle

Personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under this Act

Seventh Principle

Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data

Eighth Principle

Personal data shall not be transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects.

Initial Assessment - Data Protection Principle 1

The purpose and use of the CCTV system should be established before use.

1. Assess the reasons for using equipment and how appropriate it is.

2. Establish the person or organisation that is legally responsible for the scheme

3. Establish the purpose of the scheme

4. Document standards 1-3.

5. Lodge notification with the Office of the Information Commissioner to cover purposes of use

6. Document and identify the person or organisation that will monitor compliance of scheme

7. Establish and document security and disclosure policies.

Location of Cameras - Data Protection Principle 2

To ensure the images are captured in a manner prescribed the location of cameras must be carefully considered.

1. The equipment should be used only to monitor the intended spaces.

2. Owners and residents of domestic premises must be consulted if domestic premises border the intended area to be viewed. (Not mandatory but good practice)

3. Those operating the system must be aware of its purpose and only use it for its specified purpose.

4. The cameras must be restricted where practicable so that those operating the system cannot overlook spaces that are not intended to be viewed.

5. Signs, which are clearly visible and legible, should be displayed so that the public are aware they are entering an area covered by CCTV.

6. Specific information should be included on the sign

Identity of who is responsible for the scheme

The purpose of the scheme

Identity of who is responsible for the scheme *

Details of who to contact regarding the scheme *

(* only applies if the location does not make this obvious)

7. If signs are not appropriate and monitoring is for a specific CRIMINAL activity:

Fully document the following steps

Identify the specific criminal activity

Identify there is a need to use surveillance to obtain evidence of that activity and whether the use of signs would prejudice success in obtaining such evidence

To ensure it is not carried out for longer than necessary, assess how long covert monitoring should take place

Access by Data Subjects

This right is provided by section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 - Data Protection Principles 1, 6 & 7.

1. When data subjects make a request for accessing their information, those operating the system must be able to recognise such a request.

A standard subject access request form should exist for this purpose and should indicate:

What information is required to locate the requested images

What information is required in order to identify the person making the request

What fee is charged for carrying out the requested search (max £10.00)

Whether merely viewing the images recorded would satisfy the individual

That within 40 days of receiving the required fee and information the response will be provided

An explanation of the Rights provided by the 1998 Act

2. Written information should be given to individuals of the types of images retained, their purpose and the policy concerning disclosure in relation to those images

3. Standard 2 above should also be provided with the subject access request form

4. The designated person should deal with all subject access

5. The images requested should be located by a designated person

6. A designated person should make the decision whether disclosure also entails disclosure to a third party

7. A designated person should determine the decision as to whether the images of third parties are held under a duty of confidence

8. A designated person must ensure that third party images are disguised if third party images are not to be disclosed

9. An editing company may be used if the system does not have the capability to comply with standard 8 above

10. If a third party or an editing company is used the following procedures apply:

There is a contractual relationship between the data controller and the editing company

The editing company must give appropriate guarantees regarding the security measures taken in relation to the images

It is the responsibility of the designated person to check and ensure that the guarantees are met

That the editing company can only use the images in accordance with the instructions of the designated person should be explicit and in the form of a written contract

The security guarantees provided by the editing company should be explicit and in the form of a written contract

11. If it is decided by a designated person that an access is not to be complied with, the following should be documented:

The date of the request

The identity of the person making the request

Why the request to supply the images was refused

The name and signature of the designated person making the decision

12. All staff should be aware of individuals' rights

13. If disclosure is made, it should be in private with only authorised staff present

14. The Data Subject is entitled to a copy of his data in intelligible format (Standard VHS tape)

Under Sections 10, 12 And 13 Of The Data Protection Act 1998 Other Rights May Also Apply

1. When there is a request from an individual to prevent processing likely to cause unwarranted and substantial damage or automated decision taking in relation to that individual. All operators must be able to recognise such a request

2. When such requests are made all staff must be aware of the designated person who should respond to them

3. The response from the designated person must indicate whether they will comply with such requests

4. There must be a response in writing within 21 days of the designated person receiving the request

5. The designated person must give written reasons if the request cannot be complied with

6. A copy of the request and response must be kept

7. The designated person must notify the individual if an automated decision is made

8. If the individual makes a request in writing within 21 days the designated person must reconsider an automated decision

9. The designated person will respond within 21 days setting out the steps they will take if they receive a receipt of the written request in standard 8 above

10. The designated person will document the original decision, the request from the individual and their response to the request

11. Data Subjects can take court action to prevent unlawful processing

12. Data Subjects can claim compensation for "damage" suffered as a result of breaches of this Act

Action Surrounding Subject Access Requests, Complaints And Audit

1. The contact point indicated on the sign should be available to members of the public during office hours Employees staffing the contact point should be aware of the appropriate policies and procedures

2. Specific documentation should be provided to each enquiry

Enquirers should be provided, on request, with one or more of the following:

* The leaflet which individuals receive when they make a subject access request as general information

* A copy of this code of practice

* A subject access request form if required or requested

* The complaints procedure to be followed if they have concerns about the use of the system

* The complaints procedure to be followed if they have concerns about the non-compliance with the provisions of this code of practice

3. A complaints procedure should be clearly documented

4. A record of the number and nature of complaints or enquiries received should be kept together with an outline of the action taken

5. A designated person should use the report in standard 4 to assess public reaction to and opinion of the use of the system

6. A designated person should undertake regular reviews of the documented procedures to ensure compliance with the code

7. A report of the reviews in standard 6 should be provided to the data controller so the legal obligations and provisions of this code can be monitored

8. An internal annual assessment should be undertaken

9. The results of the report in standard 7 should be compared with the purpose of the scheme. If the scheme is not achieving its purpose, it should be discontinued or modified

10. The results of the report in standard 7 should be made publicly available

Images should not be retained for longer than is necessary

Images should not be retained for longer than is necessary. While retained, the integrity of the images must be maintained to ensure their evidential value and/or to protect the rights of the people whose images have been recorded. Access to, and the security of, the images should be controlled. - Data Protection Principle 3, 5 & 7

1. Images should not be retained for longer than necessary to achieve the purposes of the CCTV system

2. Once a retention period has expired, images must be erased

3. If images are to be held for evidential purposes, they should be kept in a secure place with controlled access away from other routine data

4. There are procedures for removing the medium on which the images have been recorded for use in legal proceedings. The following should be documented:

* The date on which the images were removed from the general system

* The reason why they were removed

* Any crime incident number to which the images are relevant

* The location of the images

* The signature of the collecting officer; see below

If the medium on which images are recorded is removed the following should be documented:

The date and time of removal

The names of the person removing the images

The name(s) of the person(s) viewing the images and the organisation(s) they represent

The reason for the viewing

The outcome if any of the viewing

The date and time that images were returned to the system (or secure place if they have been retained for evidential purposes)

5. Monitors in areas where individuals would have an expectation of privacy should not be viewed by unauthorised operators and/or employees of the operators

6. Access to images should be restricted to designated staff

7. All CCTV data must be stored securely with access limited to authorised personnel only

8. Viewing of recorded images should only take place in a restricted area

9. There are procedures for the removal of the medium on which images are recorded see 4 above.

10. All operators and employees to be informed of the procedures for accessing the recorded images

11. All operators to be trained in their responsibilities so they are aware of the user's security and disclosure policies and the rights of individuals.

Access to and the disclosure of CCTV images

Access to, and the disclosure of, CCTV images and the disclosure of images to third parties should be restricted and carefully controlled to ensure the rights of individuals are protected. The chain of evidence must remain intact if the images are required for evidential purposes. Reasons for the disclosure of the images must be compatible with the purpose for which the images were originally recorded. - Data Protection Principles 2, 7 & 8

1. Access to the images should be restricted only to those who need access to fulfil the purpose of the system

2. All access should be documented

3. Disclosure should be made in limited and prescribed purposes

4. All requests for access should be recorded and reasons for any denials

5. There are procedures for allowing access or disclosure

When access to or disclosure of the images is allowed then the following should be documented:

The date and time of access or disclosure

Identification of third party to whom access or disclosure is allowed

The reason for allowing access or disclosure

The extent of information to which access or disclosure is allowed

6. Recorded images should not be made widely available e.g. on an intranet site

7. If the images are made widely available, the decision should be made by a designated person and the reasons documented

8. If the images are disclosed to the media, the images of individuals will need to be disguised to avoid identification

9. If the system does not have the capability to comply with standard 8 above, an editing company may be used

There are procedures if an editing company is used

There is a contractual relationship between the data controller and the editing company

The editing company has given the appropriate guarantees regarding the security measures they take in relation to the images

The designated person checks to ensure the guarantees are met

The written contract makes it explicit that the editing company can only use the images in accordance with the instructions of the designated person

The written contract makes the security guarantees provided by the editing company explicit

10. There are procedures if the media organisation receiving the images undertakes the editing (See notes under point 9 above.)

Quality of the Data

Quality of the Data - Images produced by the system must be as clear as possible to ensure that they are effective for the purposes for which they are intended. - Data Protection Principle 3.4 & 5

1. When installed, the equipment should be checked to ensure it performs correctly

2. Tapes (if used) should be of good quality

3. The maximum number of passes is 13 times

4. The medium on which the images are recorded should be cleaned to prevent recording on top of previous images

5. The medium on which the images are recorded should no longer be used if there is a deterioration in the quality of the images

6. If the system records location of camera, date, time etc. these should be accurate

7. There should be a documented procedure for 5 above

8. Cameras should be sited only where they will capture relevant images

9. If automatic facial recognition systems are utilised, the database of images should be clear

10. A human operator should assess and determine the action to be taken to verify matches made by automatic facial recognition systems

11. The assessment in 9 above should be documented regardless of a match on the data base

12. Consideration must be given to the physical conditions in which the cameras are located

13. Operators should assess whether real time or specific timed recordings are required

14. Cameras should be properly maintained and serviced

15. Cameras should be protected from vandalism (if it is a likely problem)

16. A maintenance log should be kept

17. If a camera is damaged, there are clear procedures for:

* Defining the person responsible for making arrangements for ensuring the camera is fixed

* Ensuring the camera is fixed within a specific time period

* Monitoring the quality of the maintenance work

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5589 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks