Electoral Register - am I not complying with law?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5601 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I have always ignored the pesky letters from Electoral - they go straight in the bin. Two reasons - 1. I don't vote and 2. I don't want just anybody to be able to look me up, especially not my very violent ex. As I don't vote, I see no need for them to have my details.

Today I get in from work and there is a letter (not even in an envelope) addressed to the Occupier on the mat saying that as I have not returned their forms, a canvasser called today to help me complete these forms. It told me that I am required by law to give details of every person resident at the property. (It's just me and my two school age children).

I don't want to complete this, it's never bothered them before so why does it bother them now? As it has the council return address on it, surely if they are insistent on knowing who lives here, they can check the council tax name?

It also states that I might be interested to know that banks use the register of electors when deciding when to open accounts. Funny that, I've never been on the register and never had a problem opening a bank account!

So, is it a legal requirement for me to complete this form or are they just being economical with the truth here? It doesn't make sense to me as I'm sure if it were illegal they'd have prosecuted me before now!

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Guest symbio-dek

No envelope - no entertain (bin it every time)

If anyone comes to your door about council related stuff, never allow in, they should not expect you to let them in, and cannot force you to let them in. Plus, council don't come to your door, they use mail to correspond (cheaper for them)

No matter who knocks on your door about council stuff, Don't open it, and say 'paper correspondence only thank you, now go away. If they don't, threaten to call police once only, if they don't leave, call police.

You and your kids safety is all that matters . . .

You don't have to vote, simple as that.

All they can do if you don't vote, is affect your credit rating a little . . . and who on here has a credit rating left anyhow

Ring the council and ask if it's their letter if your not sure . . if it is they'll tell you, if not, you now know it's a [problem] . . so bin it

:) Be cool, be safe and be happy :)

Just to say that the person who came to the door would almost certainly have been from the Council. It is a legal requirement to complete the electrol roll forms and most Councils after sending out reminders do get Council staff to call on Households to collect the form or help the occupior complete it. You are always given the option to to have your details witheld from the full electrol roll (this is the one that the public can access or companies purchase). I worked for a local authority until earlier this year and although I was a licensing officer I was one of the people who went out last year calling on households that had not sent back their forms. I did ask if our authority had ever prosecuted a person for not giving the information and was told no. I would think it is unlikly that any authority would prosecute but they could. It does affect your credit rating though if you are not on the register.

• Haha 1

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Oh it was definately from the Council, I have little doubt about that, given the return address and email address contained in the form. (Thanks for confirming it blonde - rep left)

In this area, we have not been given the option to with hold details at all. We can register on the edited version which means marketers can contact us, or on the full version, which any member of the public has the right to see under supervision. That's the information from the Local Authority.

I've never had trouble getting credit and I've never been on the register, so not too concerned about that. My main worry is that my address can be obtained easily if I am registered there.

It's strange that no-one has been prosecuted if it is a legal requirement. I suppose certain human rights laws could be used in defence of the claim. What about cases of witness protection?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

We can register on the edited version which means marketers can contact us
No you are automatically entered on the full version, but can opt out of the edited version, which is used by marketing companies etc

The edited version can be used for any purpose whatsoever, but you can choose not to have your name included to this version.

hello,

Here's something you may not know. Yes it is an offence not to fill in the register but that's your choice but, there is anonymous registration where a code appears where your name should be. The general public can see the register but under supervision and only to check their own listing.

My council told me that my name was not associated with my address as they do an alphabetical list first and then all the addresses that have filled and returned the forms

Have a look here.

Registering to vote - About my vote, produced by The Electoral Commission

fox

• Haha 1

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thank you Fox!

But giving false information is also an offence

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE