Some advice JSA to IB

danceonfire
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5634 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I wondered if somebody could give me some simple advice.

I have been in receipt of JSA for 6 months now after been dismissed from my previous job. I have a long history of depression which I told the Personal Advisor about and they logged it on the system and proceeded with my JSA claim. The stress of being out of work and finding it increasingly harder to get a job has trigged my depression, my last bout was January of this year where I was admitted to Hospital following a suicide attempt, this depressive episode lasted for at least 5-6 months at varying degrees.

I wanted to try and get some normality back into my life and try and get a job but I think, in hindsight, I was too unrealistic and placed more pressure on myself.

A friend told me that really I should have applied for Incapacity Benefit. I've tried looking at these forums and online guides but it all seems very confusing (I just can't concentrate on the information and get it clear in my head). Can I now apply for IB (or ESA?) if I have been claiming JSA for six months. I'm also concerned that the £60.15 I currently receive is barely enough to cover bills, credit cards and minimum living expenses, I can't begin to imagine how I would cope if I had to be put on the assessment rate, which I think is much lower than the £60.15 JSA, for 28 weeks.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks :confused:

The assessment rate of ESA is the same as the rate of JSA. After 13 weeks it increases a bit. (IB has been abolished for new claims.)

To claim ESA you don't have to see a doctor first, you go straight onto the assessment rate once you claim it by calling 0800 055 6688. The DWP then assess you themselves and if you 'pass' you stay on it, otherwise you have to claim JSA again.

As you are already on JSA, I think you have to end your claim and then ask for the ESA to be backdated to the end of your JSA claim (it can be backdated for any reason). I don't think you can just transfer between them, nor can you get both at once, but ask them.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

I have done exactly this although mine was for I.B but it should still be the same just phone the DWP explain your situation and that you want to go onto ESA they will change it over and tell you to inform the JSA office and fill in and return the JSA booklet.

One word of caution though if you go onto to ESA it may affect your other benefits like free prescriptions, council tax etc it did me.

Regards

Leon

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

ESA is more closely analogous to JSA than IB, so passported entitlement will be the same.

• Haha 1

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.