style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5643 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, just a quick explo for those who don't know - LHA is the new name for 'Housing Benefit' which has been introduced in the UK to save the Council the effort of having to visit the dumps that private Landlords rent out and assess them for how much rent they're worth. Mmm, yeah thats about it lol.

Anyway, let me tell you my story - on Housing Benefit I had to pay nothing for my £80 a week flat here in Plymouth.

Since they invented LHA they've said they'll pay £93'odd for a one-bedroom flat so guess what, my Landlord put the rent up !

The thing is, because I get Incapacity Benefit and a little bit of DLA for my Clinical Depression and damage to my neck, the Council reckon I have £16 'excess income' (oh damn it I was saving for a Porsche...or a TV License!)

so they wont actually pay this £93 odd for ME and therefore I have to find £10 a week to give my Landlord.

In Brief:

: rent was £80 a week,

: LHA told Landlord they pay £93 odd for a 1bedroom flat

: I get Incapacity Benefit so Council said I can pay £10 of it

: Stitched up !

So I got hold of my local hard-working Councillor (oh the sarcasm!), Linda Gilroy who was kind enough to do nothing and the long and short of it is that I have to find this £10 a week.

Stitched up eh? But hold on, the joke aint over yet.

I got a letter from the Council the other day asking me why I've not paid my Council Tax - the £10 of it thaT Ihave to pay because I get so £16 excess income - mm, we've heard that one already haven't we! - the thing is, if I even had this '£16 excess income' thenI wouldn't be able to pay £10 towards my rent PLUS £10 towards my Council Tax cuz £10+£10=£20.

It's a joke.

I would never do it (honestly) but I can understand why some people work on the fiddle. These muppetts turn us into crooks.

Thanks Conniff, yeah I get Incapacity Benefit and a little DLA. I also get some money off Council Tax as I live alone.

I get Council Tax benefit but, as I said, they still say I have to pay towards that AND my rent. The thing is I just haven't got it but they don't care. Maybe if I was a refugee I'd be alright!