Council Tax debt which I knew nothing about!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5670 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm hoping somebody can help me word a letter to Ealing Council/Newlyn Bailiffs. I separated from my husband in July. We lived in Ealing previously, moved to Harrow and now I've moved back to Ealing with my 3 kids. Obviously, I've registered with Ealing Council and am paying my Council Tax but I've been receiving letters from Newlyn Bailiffs addressed to my husband at my new address regarding non-payment of Council Tax which goes back a few years. I knew nothing of this and have discovered upon speaking to my husband and that he hadn't paid any Council Tax! I've received 15 or so letters so far stating "Committal to Prison" and I've also received several telephone calls from Newlyn. I've explained the situation to them and that I have no spare money to pay them with and I've given them my husband's telephone no. He tells me that he's given them his new address although I'm not sure this is true as they are still calling me and writing to him at my new address.

Basically, I need help with putting together a letter to the council/Newlyn Bailiffs, explaining the situation and I've put together a financial statement which I'd like to enclose. I'm hoping somebody out there can help me with this.

Thanks v much.

Slewkin :(

Hi

Dont take what I say the 100% accurate, I only know bits and pieces through having problems with the council tax myself.

As far as im aware if your name was on the council tax bill and liability order then you are just as liable for the debt as your husband. Are you in receipt of Income Support?

Also check with the council how much is actually owing, the bailiff normally whacks on charges. Question the charges as well, there is tariff for bailiff when collecting council tax.

The tariff is towards the bottom of this page:

National Debtline England & Wales | Debt Advice | Factsheet 02 Bailiffs And Council Tax

Try calling the National Debtline I found them very helpful,

0808 808 4000

Also you might get more people respond if you post in the bailiff and sheriff section of the forum.