0905 premium rate number harrassment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5648 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does anyone know if any thing can be done about phone calls and sms messages which start with 0905? I have received text messages from a guy claiming to be from Turkey and evening phone calls. Also do you get charged for these messages and calls ? And how can I find out where these people found my mobile phone number?

I would be grateful if any one could throw some light on this matter.

Thank you for replying The Chancellor, I will do that. I was also thinking of calling the number tomorrow from a landline and asking them who they are and how they got my mobile number. I have also thought about going down the data protection line and getting in touch with Ofcom.

It still costs a premium rate from a land line! Ring them is what they want!

If the calls are from Turkey, then neither the DPA nor OfCOM have any authority (unless it is a subsidiary of a UK company.

You say that the 'guy' is from Turkey; does he no say anything or tell you why he is calling? Can you not act on this?

I think more detail is required here.

I agree with PD - don't phone them as the numbers charge upto £1.50/minute.

No doubt they will give you the run-round for 10 mins whilst you are calling.They probably use auto dialers of every number combination until they hit one which dials & then log this as a "live" number.

The text says " Hi . I . Ali from Turkey. I love you. Come to Turkey.You marry me X. "

I have ignored both text message and phone calls and I have added this 0905 number to my auto reject list.

I did some research last night and you are right it could be an automatic dialling facility. And when you actually reply or text back you are in effect agreeing to their terms and conditions. How wrong is that ? !!

I have checked my vodafone account and no charges have appeared as yet. I think I will leave well enough alone and hope that who / whatever it is ,gets fed up.

Thank you both for your help. Sorry it is Donna I am logged on as my mum !

Well I called vodafone and they were extremely helpful. They have given me a pay as you go sim card which I can insert into my previous recently used phone.

I will then have a brand new number which I can give to family only... allowing me to switch off my 'harassed' phone in the evenings. I did incur a charge of £1.52 on my phone bill from the Turkey number, i think i dialed it when i was trying to delete it, so you have to be very careful.

Thank you both for your help. :)