• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Shopaholic v RBS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just introduced myself, in the welcome part of the forum. I began two claims this week. First was Subject Access Request for my personal account and then felt brave and decided to initiate the process on my business account too. In spit of reading and loads of threads and pages, I think I made a mistake on the business side... I already had all the statements so just went through highlighting the unlawful charges in pink and then the interest on the unauthorised overdraft in yellow. I then totted them up and filled in the xxx bits on the library letter (business version) giving them 14 days etc. I don't rememberreading anything about 'prelim' letters and terrified that I have shot myself in the foot.. If anyone can offer any advice, I'd be really grateful. Many thanks..

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebecca,

you haven't made that big a mistake, however, in the eye's of the courts you should give them adequate time to answer. No doubt they will come back with a standard letter on or around the 14 day mark, I would be tempted to send the LBA letter again giving them 14 further days before going for the jugular. You can't go back on this now, but you just need to make sure the Bank takes you seriously.

:p

• Haha 1

Big Col:p

RBS LBA 20/06/06. WON - 21/10/06

MBNA(1)-Start-20/06/06, Claim-£250, 15/8 - Winner!!

MBNA Virgin(2)-Start-20/06/06, Claim £100, 15/8 - Winner!!

BoS MCard Data Protection Act Sent 20/06/06 - WON 16/10/06

Green On!

If the post/advice helps, pse click on the scales!! :cool:

As I live in a small town and the bank staff know exactly who I am and what I'm like, so there is no doubt that they will take me seriously.. once I get my teeth into something I am the proverbial dog with a bone:D Just wish I could have been a fly on the wall when they read the letter.. hee hee:p Please don't desert me on here though.. I really need your moral support and advice..

I've just opened the post and have a letter from RBS re: my business account. It is the "we believe our charges are fair, reasonable and transparent" one but then at the bottom it says "we confirm that the recent media coverage relating to the office of fair trading charges does not apply to business accounts"

Shall I just sit tight, or shall respond? Any help would be really appreciated. Many thanks, Rebecca

Hiya!

I'd respond with a second letter giving them 14 days before court proceedings!

Good luck xx

NatWest - Settled in full 22/05/06

RBS- Prelim sent 9/05/06 £1,147

£500 offer 27/05/06, rejected 30/05/06

LBA sent 25/05/06 :razz:

MCOL 15/06/06

Defence received 20/07/06

Settled in full 01/09/06 wahey!!!!!!!!!

The OFT ruling related to credit card fees, they're just trying to fob you off, you're not claiming because of the OFTs ruling you're claiming beacuse the charges are unlawful!

MCOL 15/06/06

The whole OFT thing is a red herring and it is safe to ignore it in relation to your claim for unlawful charges. Do not let them fob you off with this.

Stick to your timetable and issue the claim at the expiry of your deadline.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

I have just drafted the following letter to RBS. In view of the fact that i didn'tsend a prelim letter (just used library business version) do you think I should give them the extended deadline (28 days in all), or should I just proceed to file my claim on 25th July (14 days after first LBA). I won't post the second letter until I hear back, so I'd be grateful for anyone's input and thanks for everything to date!

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXX t/a xxxxxxxxx

Thank you for acknowledging my letter of 11th July, informing you of my intention to take court action.

As a gesture of goodwill on my part, I will extent the period which I am prepared to wait until initiating court action until 8th August. On that date, if I have not received a repayment in full as outlined in my previous letter, I shall commence proceedings forthwith. I enclose a copy of my previous letter for your reference.

It may also be prudent to mention that I am not claiming because of the Office of Fair Trading ruling, I am claiming because the charges are unlawful. Yours....

Hi Shopaholic,

Just keep to your original timetable, I have done this and things are moving lots faster....

You will get many letters from different offices, I have had two from a lady in Glasgow collections centre offering me a quarter of what is owed, which I have turned down, then I have recieved another letter from the customer relations unit offering the same amount...

and all the time i'm keeping to the timetable I have set

Tomba90

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

- Mahatma Gandhi

Hi Rebecca,

They reccomend giving 28 days on this site as that is seen to be a reasonable attempt to settle out of court, the letter sounds fine I'd just send that!

Stacy

MCOL 15/06/06

It is true that the OFT rport does not apply to business accounts as it was an investigation conducted under the Unfair terms in Consumer Contract regs 1999 which do not apply to business accounts. If you had read the material thoroughly you would have found this out.

However, the principles of the OFT report do apply as they merely reinforce the common law and this does appy to all contracts - business or consumer. Furthermore, it can be said that the prinipcles contained within the UTCCR also apply to business contracts because they can be said to reinforce the common law.

So just tell the bank that you are relying on basic common law principles and that you will be carrying on.

Now please will you read the announcement which appears at the top of every forum headed

"Some people are making mistakes"

It applies to you and to everyone else who didn't know the answer.

the material is all here. there are very few questions which haven't been answered.

it only takes an investment of time.

Sorry if you find this post brusque.

We really are on your side so I hope that you won't get the hump!!

Point taken, Bankfodder. I know how busy you must be and what a pain in the a***e people like me are. I promise, I haven't undertaken this claim lightly and I'm reading as many threads and cases as I can take in, including FAQs etc.. I have found it ok to navigate the claim for personal account charges but the business route still seems ambiguous. However, I have now re-drafted the letter thus:

"Thank you for acknowledging my letter of 11th July, informing you of my intention to take court action.

As a gesture of goodwill on my part, I will extend the period which I am prepared to wait until initiating court action until 8th August. On that date, if I have not received a repayment in full as outlined in my previous letter, I shall commence proceedings forthwith. I enclose a copy of my previous letter for your reference.

It may also be prudent to mention that I am aware that the Office of Fair Trading ruling, did not apply to business accounts. The principles, however, of the OFT report do apply as they merely reinforce the common law and this applies to all contracts - business or consumer. Furthermore, it can be said that the principles contained within the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999 also apply to business contracts because they can be said to reinforce the common law."

Is that better, please?

Guest NATTIE

I think you'll get a response. Don't worry about branch staff, am part of same group so I kinda know the score. The branch may deal with the initial letter but this letter will be dealt with by a different department that deals with OFT and unfair charges. You'll get the charges back

• 2 weeks later...

I have come to the conclusion that I will definitely have moved before all this stuff is over and I did discuss it with my solicitor before I launched my attack. However, I am wondering:

a) if I can continue to take action from a country outside the EU via this site

b) If the case goes to court and I win (which I will) will the Bank be liable for my expenses travelling back to U.K. to attend?

c) If you were me, would you hand over to a solicitor and, if so, can I claim their costs back too?

Any advice you can give will be much appreciated. Many thanks, Rebecca

I have come to the conclusion that I will definitely have moved before all this stuff is over and I did discuss it with my solicitor before I launched my attack. However, I am wondering:

b) If the case goes to court and I win (which I will) will the Bank be liable for my expenses travelling back to U.K. to attend?

c) If you were me, would you hand over to a solicitor and, if so, can I claim their costs back too?

Hello? Anyone out there know the answer please?

My faith is fading ... please can anyone advise

I dont know the answer to a + b but as a small claims court claim (I take it it is)

you do not get expenses. at least that is my understanding so c is out (i think)

Any expenses you'll have to bear

there are however loads of vultures out there just waiting to get a piece of the action for a fee I wouldnt be bothered with them though. I saw one wanting 33.3% of the claim. another wanted a fixed fee. its your call, your money, your decision

Dave

• Confused 1

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

In today's post I received the following letter:

"XXXXX at our xxxxx branch has passed me details of your complaint to investigate.

I can confirm that the charges applied to your account are correct and in acordance with our published tariff. It is your responsiblity to ensure that there is sufficient cleared money in your account to meet all items that are presented for payment.

We believe that our charges are fair, reasonable and trasparent. We consider that the amounts debited to your account have been applied strictly in accordance with your agreement with us and our published tariff which we are satisfied complies with all applicable laws and regulations. We are also committed to ensuring the transparency of the information that we give to our customers about the operation of our products.

The OFT is presently in contact with us with seven other major credit card companies to discuss the level of charges on credit cards. It is important that I emphasise these discussions are limited to charges to credit cards only.

Consequently, against the background I must differ with your views and I will not be refunding any of the charges applied to your bank account.

I trust this clarifies matters.

Yours sincerely"

The date by which I requested charges to be refunded is 8th August. Shall I just submit a claim then and not bother responding, or should I respond saying that I will take court action as previously advised, please??? I appreciate your help - many thanks.