• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Student Protest v RBOS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6465 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a student and a very disgruntled customer of the Royal Bank of Scotland - a bank which in 2002 entrapped me into taking out a high-interest loan to pay off student overdrafts and has also previously screwed money out of me in hidden charges and interest payments.

At present, I am looking to take the RBOS to court, through the banking ombudsman, which I hope will highlight the role this bank plays in entrapping vulnerable students into taking high-interest loans and credit cards, causing them to drift further and further into debt.

What I want to do is start a national campaign urging current students, young people about to start university/college as well as other people affected by the Royal Bank of Scotland, to mount a boycott of this bank and its services. I am looking to enlist the support of the National Union of Students. Even if we just convince one person not to enter any RBOS building or use its services that will be seen as a success and hopefully the beginning of a snowball effect.

This bank makes over £8 billion a year in turnover. One by one, we need to convince people to avoid this bank like the plague.

If you are a student affected by any problems relating to the bank please follow the thread. I would like to hear your story. The more people who are willing to come forward and air their problems, the more we can, to coin an ironic phrase, 'make it happen' and bring pressure to bear on this bank and hopefully, run it into the ground to make its employees and fat cat bosses see what it feels like to be shat upon from a great height.

I'm not a student, but found myself in a similar position.

I'm currently on a career break looking after two toddlers and as such have no personal income at the moment. They tried to coax me into taking out a loan to pay off my overdraft - which was only £400 - hardly a huge sum.

I asked the adviser how I'm expected to repay a loan to them with no income (and how I would qualify for a loan after they dragged my previously perfect credit record into the ground) and was told it 'would be the best option for me'

Does this sound like a bank that is concerned about it's customers, or it's profits?

Luckily I've paid it back anyway and am in credit so they can't touch me at the moment.

I am glad you are in the black. I can actually believe that this bank tried to do this to you. This bank will try any under-handed technique to try and boost its coffers. Is it any wonder why it made a profitable turnover of £8 billion last year. The fat cats must be lapping it up.

I am making it my mission to throw a huge spanner in the works of this bank. I want people to see it for what it really is. The people running this bank do not realise that when you push somebody too far, all hell can break loose. This is a company that has no feelings or empathy towards the plight of those in debt or vulnerable people. To the bank, people like us are easy prey. Not anymore.

Ideally, what I would love to do is organise is a blockade of this bank. A nationwide front door protest blocking people from entering the RBOS branches right across Britain would be an ideal way of running this bank into the ground. The harm in terms of negative publicity it would do to the bank and its custom would be irrepairable. It is just a case of unifying people into a common cause.

Action needs to be taken. There needs to a protest which removes this fear. The banking industry has similarities with the cigarette industry. It is all one big con trick just to get your money.

This website is about empowering people to control of their actions. The bank are monsters who thrive on our custom and in nearly all of the cases of the people who are in this forum, these banks have tried to exert control over them. This website is proof that people can rage against the machine. If the entire student population could send out a message and vote with its feet, other people would see the light.

Hey There :)

I'm a student who has a student account with RBS.

To be honest with you, RBS do offer (in my analysis) the best student account available at the moment and the only problems I've had is the charges on my account. I have to say that the account itself is actually quite good (obviously my opinion) and the staff in my branch are helpful and always chatty.

The assistant manager at my branch was actually quite impressed and intrigued as to the whole 'unlawful bank charges' issue and she was actually quite supportive of what I was doing. She stated that the bank staff within the branch don't know the legalities and the ins and outs of the charges issue and were starting to see a number of similar claims streaming through their doors. Obviously I was happy about this and told her so :)

This is just my opinion, I'm now on claim number 2 with RBS so I'm not their happiest customer, but they are a HELL of a lot better than HBOS student facilities or HSBC (not that I'd know, I'm only supposed to have 1 student account) :)

Lloyds Current A/C DPA sent 7th May 2009 Closed and charges wiped Summer 2010.

Barclays A/C DPA sent 4th June 2009: no reply, no correspondence as of 2011.

Littlewoods Data Protection Act Section 10 sent 09/06/2006 - Fraudulent A/C closed and CRA data removed November 2006.

HSBC Default & Debt wiped March 2009 (6 yr Statute barred reached)

RBS - Claim 1 - Settled in FULL £766.00 20/06/2006.

RBS - Claim 2 - Settled in FULL £777.95 08/09/2006

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

Amount - £586.39 claim plus 8% interest

SETTLED IN FULL 08/09/2006 - CHEQUE FOR £625.25

Halifax Visa Data Protection Act Disclosure Received

First Direct Data Protection Act Disclosure received

Guest NATTIE

In view of your protests against RBS and I am being devils advocate, you need to boycott Cricket NW series, Rugby 6 Nations, Tennis Andy Murray no1 world seeded british player(rbs Sponsor), Formula 1 sponsors f1 team, Golf (some tournaments as well as some SkySports coverage) The queen (banks with Coutts and co), RBS,Churchill, Tesco Personal Finance, Direct Line insurance. Also you need to boycott those who use I do understand your frustration. It is worth making sure that Student Unions do tell students(UK and overseas) about this site and unlawful charges

This is something that a few of us aim to get across. In the coming weeks, global emails are going to be sent to all student union representives right across Britain petitioning them to take action, in particularly during Freshers Week. The students will be informed of this site and currently students especially, should be encouraged to claim back what is rightfully their money.

Guest NATTIE

I would suggest that if you can you get it translated into various languages because foreign students are usually the ones who do get charges and may be unaware that they are unlawful.

One point I would disagree with is that if you simply choose one financial institution ie RBS Group to boycott, then you miss HSBC(no1 in profits), Barclays, Abbey, Halifax etc etc who follow a similar regime of charges. If the Students set up their own bank then any boycott of banking facilities could work. I think the best protest is when you empower people with knowledge to claim all charges back from which ever financial institution they are involved with

I totally agree. My initial objective was to target one bank. You are right. All of them need to be targetted in one form or other. The means of production must be attacked at all angles. As for the foreign students. They will be catered for.

Sorry that I could not reply to your message Natweststaffmember in full earlier. I was distracted by my boss at my summer work peering over my shoulder. He was curious about what I was doing!

Yes, the idea of an free and independent bank for students is a fantastic thought and would empower many to challenge the system. It would have to be free of charges and accountable to all its members with them being informed of where every pound and penny goes from the bottom upwards. It would also have to be accountable from a perspective that from the very bottom level, people can access those at the very top without question. Accountability would have to stretch right across the organisation. No corners must be cut.

Guest NATTIE

I'm not sure about free from charges but charges that reflect the realistic cost returning a DD etc, etc, The site is not about the unfairness of charging per se, but about the amount of the charges involved in relation to the actual cost that is involved in itself.

I have sent out an email to the NUS. You are right about the protest. The plan is to get each and every student to fill out a template which they can get either from this website or it will be globally emailed, which they fill in and hand in to their bank during Freshers Week. Attached to template will be step-by-step instructions which will be translated. In am working on the Spanish version as that is my second language. If the students can do this en masse, this would empower them by throwing one massive spanner in the works of the bank and desevedly so.