Moving overseas with UK debt!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5695 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have debts from many companies in the UK, which I am going about clearing up slowly but surely.. Around 4 months ago I accepted an oversea job position which I am now at.. so at the moment I am living in Asia for the forseeable future. The problem is that all of my debts are registered in the house of my parents (obviously in my name though).. now.. of course the legal thing to do was to inform all parties involved of my address change in writing which I have done.. however the banks and debt collection agencies simple don't seem to be listening to me as they are continuing to send letters to my parents house, which is distressing my parents.. as this is a lot of mail. I have a disputed debt also, which I refuse to pay, but one bank is still insisting on chasing also.

Firstly, if I am outside the UK.. would it be unreasonable for the banks & debt collection companies to contact me via mail at the new overseas address?, since legally I am not a resident of my old address or the UK anymore...

Secondly, Should they transfer the debts to my new address would they then be able to contact collection agents in this country to chase me for debts owed (for example the disputed debt) etc?? (Is that possible since the debts were acquired under UK law?? I'd assume that would have absolutely no durasdiction over here?)

Generally i'm just wondering the legal side also.. but the main thing I want is any phone calls and letters to be not going to my old address, so that my parents have no need to worry about these matters, since I will be taking care of these myself, but at the moment, with my parents being elderley. It is a very difficult task to get them to forward all letters to me or to read the exact details to me over the phone. I would rather deal with it directly myself.. as the companies should be contacting ME.. not THEM,

Any advice greatly appreciated! :)

Your choices are thus...(as are the ethics behind them)

You can email all the organisations and give them your new address, and requesting all correspondence comes to your new address...

You can tell your parents to 'return to sender' all envelopes that come addressed in your name.....

Tell your parents to say to anybody that calls that you are no longer resident....

Some debt collection agencies are owned by overseas companies, some will pass the debt on to other debt collection agencies overseas....

If you give them address overseas some may still try and collect...although highly unlikely that they will legally enforce it in Asia...

As it is despite the phone calls, as your parents are living there they won't be able to answer the security questions....!!

Thank you for that.. I have already tried some of the steps below.

Your choices are thus...(as are the ethics behind them)

You can email all the organisations and give them your new address, and requesting all correspondence comes to your new address...

-I've already written to the majority of them telling them of my new address to no avail

You can tell your parents to 'return to sender' all envelopes that come addressed in your name.....

I've told them to do this.. but I don't know whether they actually have since I haven't been there myself.

Tell your parents to say to anybody that calls that you are no longer resident....

They've done this numerous times, again no avail

Some debt collection agencies are owned by overseas companies, some will pass the debt on to other debt collection agencies overseas....

If you give them address overseas some may still try and collect...although highly unlikely that they will legally enforce it in Asia...

I agree, I doubt they will do that for cost reasons as well as the fact that the credit agreement contract would have no grounds in chinese law anyway.. so I doubt they would be able to proove that they have good reason for collecting a debt from me.

As it is despite the phone calls, as your parents are living there they won't be able to answer the security questions....!!

What about if the debt i'm disputing became a CCJ, would the court wouldn't legally be able to send bailiffs or attachment of earnings.. since I earn no properties in the UK. I'm basically just trying to stop them from harassing my parents by phone, mail or with any kind of doorstep visits they might insist on having.

If I get my parents to tell them I am gone away and no longer resident as suggested.. legally will the debt collection companies have to acknowledge this... and what could I do if they don't?

Thanks again!

The only way a debt would become a CCJ was if you didn't fight it, or your parents didn't tell the DCA's that you were no longer resident (on the phone)....or they didn't send back letters saying ('no longer resident at this address')....