• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Guess who is behind the New PayPal TopUp Card...RBS!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5490 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The New PayPal TopUp Card seemed like a good idea for anyone with a PayPal Account who is also fed up with banks and/or can't get Credit.

It works like a Debit Card (although they won't let you use it everywhere).

You can Top it Up via your PayPal Account, so it looked like a nice and convenient way to transfer a PayPal Balance into a Balance on a Debit-like Card to use almost same day.

They claim No Credit Checks, as it's just a TopUp Card.

All looked too good to be true.

However, close inspection of their Terms and Conditions small print was less encouraging, as buried in there they had added a clause requiring anyone that applies for this PayPal TopUp Card to give their Consent to share the Applicant's Data with those nice upstanding people over at the Credit Reference Agencies.

Now there's a surprise. A TopUp Card that you have to add funds to before you can spend, and yet they want to harvest and sell your Data to the CRAs!

There's No Credit being offered, and they even say No Credit Checks, so why do they need this Consent then?

I had a little go at them about that, but PayPal didn't want to remove that aspect from their Terms.

So, with some considerable reservations, I applied for one on-line...

...and I was declined!

The process was automated, but felt like a Credit Check was being carried out before the Message came back that I was not the sort of punter they wanted.

I complained to PayPal, asking if they could let me know who to send my Data Protection Act 1998 Data Subject Access Request to, as I would jolly well like to get to the bottom of why, exactly, I had been turned own.

PayPal went all soft, and passed the blame straight on to, you've guessed it, the Royal Bank of Scotland. PayPal want me to ask RBS why I was declined. PayPal say it's not their fault, please don't hassle them, hassle RBS instead. Buck passing came easily for PayPal without any hesitation.

Time to S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) the RBS I think, and then complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service and also the Advertising Standards Agency. It looks like False Advertising to get people to Sign Up for this TopUp Card without making it clear the Application involves a good old search through your Data at the CRAs.

This is yet another example of the Debt Industry getting their fingers into yet another pie for no good reason. Another example of yet more Data being handed to the CRAs that they simply do not need.

So, take care folks, the PayPal TopUp Card does appear to be carrying out Credit Checks despite their claims that they are not required.

Cheers,

BRW

As i read this, my mouth dropped open, although why i was surprised, i've no idea.

Good on you for taking this on BRW. I am really excited to see what the outcome will be.

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

Can't see why a credit check would be needed as you are not requesting credit from either PayPal or RBS.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

Hello Hopeful1!

Good on you for taking this on BRW. I am really excited to see what the outcome will be.

I do want to get to the bottom of this, as the PayPal TopUp Card should be a relatively easy Top Up Card to get, which could be useful to many on CAG who are having a hard time getting any form of Debit Card. The PayPal Card is not the best thing around, but for people Selling on eBay and getting paid via PayPal, the ability to turn that into a Balance on a Debit-like Card (without needing to use a bank account) could be a life-line for many Caggers who are otherwise denied such facilities (hostile bank, card or cheque book withdrawn, account always overdrawn and in dispute etc).

Hello Enron!

Can't see why a credit check would be needed as you are not requesting credit from either PayPal or RBS.

Exactly. But it looks like that is what RBS are doing when you press Submit during the on-line Application.

In my case, after completing all the details on-line (following Links from my logged-in and very active PayPal Account), I pressed submit, and then had to wait while the RBS System ran some checks. I can't remember exactly how long they took, but there was a very long pause between submitting the Application and when the Screen came back with a declined message that said:

Personal Details

Sorry, your application has not been successful

There are two reasons why an application may not be accepted. The first reason is that you may already have the maximum allowed number of PayPal Top Up Cards. The second reason is that we use a wide range of robust data sources to validate personal details. On this occasion we may not have been able to validate your personal details sufficiently to enable your application to proceed. Click here to return to www paypal co uk/ topupcard

I don't have any other TopUp Cards, so the bit that aroused my suspicions was the...

...we use a wide range of robust data sources to validate personal details

That looked and sounded awfully like a Credit Check to me.

My PayPal account is and always has been in good standing, so that can't have been it. However, I know my Credit Rating is shot from all my on-going battles with Credit Cards and Loans. CCA Requests and arguments stemming from them have shot my Credit (Debt) rating down in tatters.

I know there is nothing wrong with my Address or the details I completed, as I have a Screen Print of them to prove no mistakes were made. My Personal Details have not changed at all. Same address for 15+ Years. As any wide ranging and robust check of my details would easily confirm. PayPal know who I am anyway, and I followed links from my PayPal Account. IOW, the offer was made from within my PayPal Account, the Application was a hand-over from there to the TopUp Card Application Screen.

I therefore feel sure that RBS are really running a Credit Check despite the fact that PayPal says in their blurb that No Credit Checks are carried out, indeed, this is exactly what PayPal do say in their FAQs:

What checks will be carried out when I apply for a card?

Although there are no credit checks, your address and identity will still need to be verified, for security reasons. For these purposes, various checks will be undertaken including checks on the electoral register.

The last part of this quotation is a little sneaky, as it does not say if it is checking the Electoral Full Register, or the Edited Register.

We all know how the CRAs hate the Edited Register, so this could be a reason for me being declined. None of my family are on the Edited Register, but this has never been a problem in the past. The CRAs always go out of their way to try and persuade people that not being on the Edited Register is a bad thing (but only for the CRAs)!

Either way, my details have always been valid, and yet I know that my Credit Rating is on a nose dive at the moment thanks to the bankers playing their silly games. I suspect that is the real reason for being declined.

The checks RBS were carrying out were a little too wide ranging and robust in my opinion...and that suggests a Credit Check is being carried out.

I'll S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) RBS, and will S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) the CRAs anyway, as I was planning to do that for other reasons. I will also ask RBS for a full explanation why I was declined. If the CRA SARs do show a Credit Check was made by RBS, then I'll be off to make complaints to the Financial Ombudsman Service and also the Advertising Standards Agency.

Watch this space!

Cheers,

BRW

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of these cards and I am yet to find any online shop which accepts them.

Paypals customer service are not helpful but nevertheless seemed very keen to cancel my card when I mentioned this possibility in passing, it as if they have heard my story many times in the short existance of this card.

I 'm only glad I loaded a comparatively small amount onto it because it looks like I will be taking it all back out at a cash dispenser with an overall loss on the entire exercise.

Hello zazen.warrior!

Paypals customer service are not helpful but nevertheless seemed very keen to cancel my card when I mentioned this possibility in passing, it as if they have heard my story many times in the short existance of this card.

It could just be me, but it looks like PayPal have reduced and/or stopped advertising the PayPal TopUp Card at the moment...at least it's no longer popping up when I log in to any of our PayPal Accounts!

I suspect they are having a few problems with it...!

Cheers,

BRW

Had an e-mail through from them the other day advertising it.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

I was amazed today to be rufused this card! my credit is good I have 2 credit cards which are paid monthly when used.

My only worry is will this go on my credit history I was refused by paypal ?

I wish I had not hit the apply button now I had a gutt feeling about it but had so many emails from paypal about this card I thought ide apply.

To describe how I feel now in a word is sick, I feel as if they want to screw our credit I am also thinking of shutting down my paypal account and ebay account.

Hello Jim Bowen!

I'd wait a couple of weeks, just to allow time for anything to lodge with the Debt Reference Agencies...er...I mean Credit Reference Agencies (CRA)!

Then send £10 to RBS for a full S.A.R - (Subject Access Request). Then send each of the CRAs £2 for a Statutory Credit Report.

Then cross-reference all, and see if RBS 'fess up to doing a Credit Check, and then see if you can spot if any of the CRAs admit that a Check was carried out.

Then ask all why you were declined.

Then ask RBS to explain why they carried out a Credit Check when PayPal said no checks would be needed.

Then ask PayPal to explain what they are playing at!

Watch this space for my own results. If you do find anything, I suspect you may well wish to complain in the same way as I will be doing (see 1st Post above).

Cheers,

BRW

• 2 weeks later...

All save your money. They have not done a credit check on your application, you don't need one for a prepaid card as there is no credit agreement. What they have done is a Know Your Customer (KYC) check to identify the individual appying for the card. Make sure you have entered your details correctly and they match what you have on the electoral role. The error could be anything from not entering your middle name to entering your address slightly wrong.

• 5 months later...
The New PayPal TopUp Card seemed like a good idea for anyone with a PayPal Account who is also fed up with banks and/or can't get Credit.

It works like a Debit Card (although they won't let you use it everywhere).

You can Top it Up via your PayPal Account, so it looked like a nice and convenient way to transfer a PayPal Balance into a Balance on a Debit-like Card to use almost same day.

They claim No Credit Checks, as it's just a TopUp Card.

All looked too good to be true.

However, close inspection of their Terms and Conditions small print was less encouraging, as buried in there they had added a clause requiring anyone that applies for this PayPal TopUp Card to give their Consent to share the Applicant's Data with those nice upstanding people over at the Credit Reference Agencies.

BRW

RBS operated paypal pre pay 'top up card' blocked from use to pay regular utility bills - notmentioned anywhere in advertising NOR t's & c's:

Hi I wish to lodge a complaint regarding this product - on which I now have some £500 'trapped' that I cant use to pay the bills I bought the

card for!

The story:

I tried to use my top up card (an essential now my credit rating is shot after a crunch-induced company failure) to pay my phone bill - and it

wouldn't do it - so I started investigating why... the t's & c's say it cant be used at hotels or car rental (that need to pre authorise) but

why not utilities? - this is madness!

I have just been informed that this card (and I quote the paypal telephone rep from memory) 'cannot be used for payment of any 'subscription'

service whether or not the payment is a one off and not to be repeated' - in plain English this means you cannot use it to pay your utility

gas/electricity/phone/mobile bills. I know - hence vodafone cant take my payment from it much as they'd like to...

In fact all the major high value payments you might regularly want to make are blocked....

Which begs the question - do they want us to use this card or not?

My Caxton FX euro (currency) prepay MasterCard allows payment at car rental (I've done it) hotels (ditto) and all the above utilities - AND it

loads instantly from your bank account (within seconds!) - I hope they see the opportunity and issue a sterling one soon!

I have lodged this issue with Elliot in the RBS chief execs office 0131 556 8555 and await his response (his initial reaction was 'well we don't

have much to do with this product' - to which I asked whether that was tantamount to them washing their hands of the matter) ....especially their

response to the accusation that it cant be used for any subscription service despite no mention of this restriction on the advertising.

I have also got trading standards on the case regarding misleading advertising - as you have to pay for this product and I doubt

I'd have shelled out up front for a card that can only be used for consumer spending.

They need to change the terms for the product to become competitive. Pay pal are known for sharp practice and usually get to hide behind a

Luxembourg address - but this is an RBS product and I as a NatWest/RBS business and personal customer expect better than this.

Its a restricted and as it stands intensely unuseful product masquerading as another competitive top up card solution. Incidentally - the card

has no raised lettering either - so manual processing is not possible - even though this is another restriction not mentioned in either the ad's

nor the t's & c's...

I think RBS should be brought to book on this one - especially in the current climate where such products are becoming ever more popular.

Ive lodged this not only with trading standards, but also the ombudsman, moneybox, you & yours... they are gonna LOVE that...

Just thought youd like to know....