Capquest Statutory demand help Urgent **WON + COSTS**

stuscfc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4545 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Basically i have received an SD off this company the debt is statute barred i have had legal advice from my union legal helpline and have the forms to set aside but not sure what to put in them. I have sent them a statuet barred letter by recorded delivery and they sent me back today a letter saying they have put the account on hold for 28 days so they can get more in fo a ploy i think, but i still have to send in the set aside forms.i will paste what i have done so far and if anyone can help i would be greatfull as i have no idea what to say.The forms have to be in friday as the last day falls on the bank holiday monday.

For ©

2. that I © Do not admit the debt because the enforceability of the alleged debt is in dispute:

The respondent alleges that I am indebted to it to the sum of £xxxx, being the amount outstanding under an agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. It is further alleged that the debt was assigned to the respondent from XXXX. The applicant will say that the statutory demand should be set-aside upon the following grounds;

a) I do not acknowledge any debt to the respondent. On the grounds that the alleged debt is statuette barred under the Limitation Act 1980 s.5.

Accordingly, I respectfully request that the statutory demand be struck out or set-aside

I make this statement with the sworn belief that all facts stated are true.

This is what i have done any ideas.

PS. the debt is from assigned to them in xxxx not payed anything for about x years or aknoleged it.Sent by second class post not recorded or hand delivered.No ccjs on my credit report apart from an adress link from xx thats it as far as i know.HELP

Edited by stuscfc

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading through the forums for any tips and came across a success story in the dca sub forum success section which has a lot of similarities to mine.On there the person sent a cca request to Capquest i have not done this as i was advised not to as i didnt need to as my defence was it was statuet barred do any of you think that i should do this and put this on the forms when i enter them in to the court to have it set aside or will it not be taken in to account as i would have only just sent it in to them.

Thanks for the reply didnt know you had as i was typeing lol. I hope i have getting very stressed and tired and to be honest dont have a clue what else to put in there bit worried as i dont have long till it has to go in and the issue of costs didnt even think about that or where to start with that lol.

Thanks for the replies guys.Yea i have had a look at that thread its mindnumbing all the threads and sites i have been looking at lately just to get an idea at what to put in to this defence to make sure its ok.But have to ask this what i have done so far would i need more or can i go with what i have now.My minds gone blank and just so tired as im working mornings.

Thanks will do that how do i work out the costs as a realistice figure i have taken a day off work wll half day phoneing around for help like the cls and my union legal help line also a lot of surfing and posting on forums and looking on the web about 3 hour to four hours a dy looking ofr in fo and replying and looking at threadsSo how do i put this as costs.

Thanks will do that how do i work out the costs as a realistice figure i have taken a day off work wll half day phoneing around for help like the cls and my union legal help line also a lot of surfing and posting on forums and looking on the web about 3 hour to four hours a dy looking ofr in fo and replying and looking at threadsSo how do i put this as costs. also at this stage should i take letters i have sent them which is only the statute barred one and the last letter they sent me after it as part of this defence or would that be needed later.Sorry to be a pain but this mater is driving me mad lol and the wife is fed up of hearing about it as well.

Also when does the 18 days start from as it came a few days from when they have it on the SD. If its a case of the date on the sd then i have only tomorrow to get it in as the 18 days are up on the bank holiday or will the tuesday be ok to submit it.

Once your application to set aside the statutory demand (SD) has been received by the court, a Judge will look at it to decide if there is any merit in it. Believe me, yours has.

After deciding it has merit, the court will then list the application for a hearing and issue a notice to be delivered to the creditor to come to court on such and such a day when the application will be heard. You will note that at this stage the court has not decided to set the SD aside. It has only decided to allow you to progress with your application. It will not grant your application without giving the creditor an opportunity to state its case. The creditor's opportunity is at the hearing.

The reality will be almost certainly, that the creditor either [1] writes to the court saying it does not challenge the application or [2] doesn't attend the hearing.

Either way, attend the hearing of your application yourself in any case, to make sure the order setting aside the SD goes through. It is on the making of the setting aside order that you then have your opportunity to ask for costs.

What to do about Costs

Your right to costs is contained in The Litigants (Costs and Expenses) Act 1975. The Act gives the court power to award you money for the time you spend in dealing with the case at the rate of £9.25 per hour.

The costs in your case will be assessed by the court by a process known as summary assessment. Summary assessment involves the court in deciding what should be allowed there and then, without adjourning that question for a decision later. So to enable the court to make an assessment there and then you need to provide the court with information on paper.

A few days before the hearing work out how much time you have spent in research, case preparation, drafting documents and so on. Write that up on a MS Excel spreadsheet or similar with each column looking something like this:

(1)Date (2)Work Done (3)Time Spent (4)Rate (£9.25) (5)Amount

At the end include the time you haven't yet spent (even though the hearing hasn't yet taken place), add

[1] say 30 minutes for the hearing (it won't last that long)

[2] however long it will take you to travel to the court and back,

[3] another 30 minutes for hanging around waiting and

[4] any travel expenses / car park fees.

Finally,

[5] add say another hour for working out your costs calculation.

If my time estimates are light, add even more time.

Then, send the calculation off to the creditor in the post or fax. The calculation should reach the creditor not less than 24 hours before the hearing. By doing this, the creditor can not complain that it had no idea you were asking for costs and how much.

Take a copy of your calculation with you to court and present it to the judge once he has dismissed the SD and ask to be allowed the amount of costs in your calculation. Also take along a copy of your lettr sending your calculation to the creditor. Ask him to make an order that the costs are to be paid to you within 14 days.

The judge should make an order allowing you a sum for whatever costs he determines is reasonable and direct the creditor to pay that to you in 14 days.

If the sum ordered to be paid is not paid ... well you know the rest!

x20

• Haha 1

That is a great help and have a very good idea now prob with me is i like to get views and ideas from all angles before i have my way of thinking straight in my head.I have joted down a few things on the pc and will over the weekend put a good case together.Once again thanks all for the help.You have been stars lol as the old saying goes.

Hi again after trawling through i have a draft of what my defence is when i go to court next week i am a bit worried as against others it doesnt seem a lot of wording for a defence but have a look

For ©

2. that I © Do not admit the debt because the existence of the alleged debt is in dispute:

The respondent alleges that I am indebted to it to the sum of £xxxx, being the amount outstanding under an agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. It is further alleged that the debt was assigned to the respondent from XXXX. The applicant will say that the statutory demand should be set-aside upon the following grounds;

a) I do not acknowledge any debt to the applicant on the grounds that the alleged debt is statuette barred under the Limitation Act 1980 s.5.

b)Attention is drawn hereto as “a” ", in which the grounds upon which the alleged debt is disputed were set out clearly, coherently and in full.

c) The respondent has choosen to serve a statutory demand by post received on xx xxxxx xxxx whereas the staturory demand is dated x xxxxxx xxxx. Accordingly, the applicant respectfully requests that the statutory demand be struck out or set aside further, the applicant invites the court to make an order of costs in favour of the applicant in respect of the reasonable cost of preparing this application and of attending any hearings in respect thereof.

I make this statement within the sworn belief that all facts stated are true.

I have pinched a few ideas and wording sorry but not been sure on what to put but only what is relavent to myself.Also should i take out the part about costs and add something about the interest that they have now added saying its been for the last 2 years not sure if there is a point of law for this if so can any one help with the right quote for this thanks.

Hi again after trawling through i have a draft of what my defence is when i go to court next week i am a bit worried as against others it doesnt seem a lot of wording for a defence but have a look

For ©

2. that I © Do not admit the debt because the existence of the alleged debt is in dispute:

a) I do not acknowledge any debt to the applicant on the grounds that the alleged debt is statuette barred under the Limitation Act 1980 s.5.

b)Attention is drawn hereto as “a” ", in which the grounds upon which the alleged debt is disputed were set out clearly, coherently and in full.

c) The respondent has choosen to serve a statutory demand by post received on xx xxxxx xxxx whereas the staturory demand is dated x xxxxxx xxxx. Accordingly, the applicant respectfully requests that the statutory demand be struck out or set aside further, the applicant invites the court to make an order of costs in favour of the applicant in respect of the reasonable cost of preparing this application and of attending any hearings in respect thereof.

I make this statement within the sworn belief that all facts stated are true.

I have pinched a few ideas and wording sorry but not been sure on what to put but only what is relavent to myself.Also should i take out the part about costs and add something about the interest that they have now added saying its been for the last 2 years not sure if there is a point of law for this if so can any one help with the right quote for this thanks.I was also going to put in it was an abuse of process to do this with out a ccj but have read it is not is that the case is that correct.

Edited by stuscfc
due to worries about snooping which has been pointed out to me

Also just a quick thought would it be worth putting in a copy of the most recent credit report which is dated the xx of xxxxxxx with the set aside forms and copies of letters sent to me by this lot to show that the statute barred rule aplies also say that theere is no record with the bank as the records are only kept for 6 years or would this be an admitance of the debt?

Edited by stuscfc

Here's a draft supporting affidavit I just knocked out. You will need to complete the application notice as well obviously, but that is fairly straightforward.

The material in this draft shows all you need to show that the demand should be set aside. It places the debt in dispute on two substantial grounds (lack of notice of assignment and right of action barred).

You must exhibit the SD. There is no need to exhibit any other document.

Having shown the existence of a case, your application will be delivered to the Respondent. If they wish to challenge your case they will have to produce evidence to rebut your assertions. As and when and if they do, we can deal with whatever they use by way of challenge. Just deal with the basics for now. Don't try and second guess them.

Here's that draft:

IN THE (NAME) COUNTY COURT

SD No of 2008

IN THE MATTER OF THE INSOLVENCY ACT 1986

AND IN THE MATTER OF A STATUTORY DEMAND DATED (DATE)

BETWEEN

(Your Name)

Applicant

and

(Opponent's Name)

Respondent

AFFIDAVIT OF (NAME)

I (NAME) of (address)

MAKE OATH AND SAY AS FOLLOWS

1 That on (date) the statutory demand exhibited hereto and marked “A” came into my hands.

2 That I do not admit the debt set out in the statutory demand because the Respondent claims to have acquired the benefit of the alleged debt from (name) in or about 2006 by way of assignment. I deny having received at any time prior to the receipt of the statutory demand a notice of assignment or other information in writing informing me that the benefit of the debt had been assigned to the Respondent.

3 In any event the debt is not a judgment debt but a simple debt which to the best of my recollection and belief gave rise to a cause of action accruing not later than in or about 1997. To the best of my recollection and belief, no legal proceedings upon the cause have ever been issued or served upon me in consequence whereof, the right is now barred and has been so barred since in or about 2003 by reason of the provisions of The Limitation Act 1980 section 5.

4 In the circumstance I seek an order of the court that the statutory demand be set aside and that the Respondent be ordered to pay my costs of and occasioned by this application.

SWORN BEFORE ME

this day of 2008

Officer of the court appiointed to take affidavits.

x20

• Haha 1

The affidavit was drawn up without actually seeing the main body of the SD. If the claim is by way of an assignment the SD should say so in Part C. What does it say in Part C? Does the SD refer to assignment in the Particulars of Debt?

If neither, delete paragraph 2 of my draft and replace with:

I do not admit the debt because I did not enter into the contract with the Respondent as alleged and the subject of the demand.

If notice of assignment is given properly the notice will tell you that the benefit of the debt now belongs to 'A' and that discharge of the debt may only be made by paying the debt to 'A'. Simply telling you 'we've bought it' doesn't meet the requirements.

If notice of assignment was properly given delete my paragraph 2 and don't use new paragraph 2 either. Just go straight for the limitation point.

That the Respondent did not effect service in accordance with the rules is of no consequence on an application to set aside a SD where clearly a prerequisite of the making of the application to set aside is that the SD has come into the hands of the applicant for a setting aside order. That said, the Judge's eyebrow will cock to one side were he to read about the method of service and you will get a browny point for it. So on reflection, in paragraph 1 after 'my hands' add:

.. by second class postal delivery.'

x20