• Tweets

• If a DCA supplies a reconstituted copy of the CCA what would be the next step? It seems that a reconstituted copy must be a " true copy " of the executed agreement, it must contain the Prescribed Terms. But given that there is no copy of the applicants signature surely it could be an agreement form with the details filled in. How can it be assumed that this " copy " represents a true copy that the claimant has supposed to have signed. Cabot have demonstrated a bit of sabre rattling when they say "Until we're able to provide this information , your account is unenforceable. This means we're not permitted to obtain a County Court judgement against you . Whilst we cannot pursue legal action, your balance remains outstanding ". I looked up a case... Cabot UK Ltd  v  Bachellier (2010) which might help, but it's tough reading, I'd prefer to plough through War and Peace. This particular case with Cabot is not huge , approx' £140, but the only other worry that I have is also with Cabot...£2100. They may try to make a point with lesser case.
    • you'll never find a court open on a w/end MB. all courts are closed Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday. However as Andy points out, that does NOT mean you get 2 extra days to file, you get one, same as xmas/new Year. UKPC have not filed their, so no rush on yours as dave says.  
    • Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed some of the worst tendencies in British politics”. “The only way to think about it is as a psychodrama enacted, for the most part, by a small group of middle-aged men who went to élite private schools, studied at the University of Oxford, and have been climbing and chucking one another off the ladder of British public life" Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed...  
    • UK travellers are being caught out by post-Brexit passport rules.   When do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule? WWW.BBC.COM UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.                                   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Newbie needs help with hardship claim

miced
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5678 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Everyone,

I have been browsing around the site for a few days now and thought it was time I said hello and that you all are doing a really great job.

I have been trying to reclaim my bank charges from RBS as per the financial hardship criteria without success and need your help.

Below is a sort of diary of the events leading up to the present, I am sorry that it is so long but I want to give as much info as possible. I hope I haven't missed anything.

20/06/2007 - I wanted to reclaim my bank charges but was afraid the RBS would close my account so I opened a parachute account with A&L.

23/09/2007 - Finally got the courage to send letter to my local RBS Branch requesting over £4000.00 in bank charges plus interest.

03/10/2007 - Received acknowledgement from RBS Customer Response Services Unit in Edinburgh stating that they believe the charges are fair, transparent and lawful. They also stated that the bank along with other banks has become involved in legal proceedings with the OFT in relation to bank charges and therefore all claims have been suspended pending the outcome of the test case.

09/10/2007 - My Royalities account at my local branch was closed.

11/06/2008 - Received letter giving an update regarding the judgement in the High Court case given on 24 April 2008.

23/07/2008 - Responded to the letter, stating that under the FSA's waiver rules I believe that I fit the financial hardship criteria and would like my case to be dealt with straight away. I also mentioned that hardship cases are exempted from the current reclaiming hold according to the new July 2008 guidelines.

I listed the reasons why I believed I fit the hardship criteria as below:

1. I have been constantly late with my rent and arrears on my utility bills

2. I am in arrears with Credit Card and Loan payments. Now my credit card and loan providers have passed my accounts over to debt collection agencies.

3. I have had a number of Debit Debits returned due to insufficient funds.

4. I have been in full-time education for the past two years and will be continuing full-time education from September 2008.

29/07/2008 - The bank's Customer Response Services Unit in Edinburgh sent me a long letter repeating previous information and a Customer Financial Statement to complete.

An extract from the letter stated:

"Following the receipt of a sign and completed form, we will review your overall financial position. If we determine that your case can be considered as financial hardship we will take it forward in line with our financial hardship policy. This aims to help your avoid further debt and to assist you recover from your hardship. In doing so we will review your existing banking facilities which my invlove:"

The letter went on to list 6 items but they do not pertain to me since my account was closed since 9th October 2007.

Another extract worth mentioning which followed stated:

"Please note that recognition of financial hardship does not necessarily indicate that a refund of charges will be made. Our hardship policy aims to help our customer avoid further debt and to assist them in recovering from hardship."

31/07/2008 - I complied with the bank's request to complete a Customer Financial Statement with and explanation of my circumstances and that was sent out to me in the post.

14/08/2008 - Received a letter from the RBS Collections Centre in Glasgow asking me to contact them by telephone to discuss my situation within 30 days. The letter stated they wanted me to confirm if arrangements were in place for my priority debts are being adhered to and if I haven't adhered to the arrangements they wanted to see documentary evidence of what further action is being taken against me.

18/08/2008 - I called the RBS Collections Centre in Glasgow and explaned that I managed to pay off some of the priority debts such as my rent, eletricity and gas and the lady then said that they normally would try to help by freezing any further charges on my account but since my account is closed there is nothing they can do.

18/08/2008 - I tried to file a claim with Money Claim Online but apparantly RBS is registered in Scotland and therefore I am not able to use this services.

If anyone can direct me from here on with the next step I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks Very Much

Miced

Hiya miced.

Welcome to CAG. :)

I have moved your thread to the RBS forum as there will be more help there.

We do advise people to file at court with the N! as there is more space on the Poc.

Also here is the hardship letter you can send.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/154154-hardship-stayed-claims.html#post1640904

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Hiya miced.

Welcome to CAG. :)

I have moved your thread to the RBS forum as there will be more help there.

We do advise people to file at court with the N! as there is more space on the Poc.

Hello Sea-sidelady,

Thank you for your response.

I think I am going straight to court with RBS, should I also enclose the hardship letter asking the court to exempt me from the current hold on claims?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

regards,

miced

Edited by miced

As long as you have done your prelim and lba letter then you can file at court. Get the hardship letter sent to the bank asap.

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

As long as you have done your prelim and lba letter then you can file at court. Get the hardship letter sent to the bank asap.

Hello Sea-sidelady,

23/07/2008 - Responded to the letter, stating that under the FSA's waiver rules I believe that I fit the financial hardship criteria and would like my case to be dealt with straight away. I also mentioned that hardship cases are exempted from the current reclaiming hold according to the new July 2008 guidelines.

I listed the reasons why I believed I fit the hardship criteria as below:

1. I have been constantly late with my rent and arrears on my utility bills

2. I am in arrears with Credit Card and Loan payments. Now my credit card and loan providers have passed my accounts over to debt collection agencies.

3. I have had a number of Debit Debits returned due to insufficient funds.

4. I have been in full-time education for the past two years and will be continuing full-time education from September 2008.

I had sent my hardship letter since 23/07/2008 you can read my original post from that date onwards and you will see what steps I have done until now.

The bottom line is that the bank is saying they can't do anything for me since normally they would just freeze any further charges to my account but account is closed so I have to wait until the outcome of the test case.

21/08/2008 - Just received a letter from RBS Customer Response Services Unit this morning stating that they have undertaken a review of the information I provided and have determined that I do not fall into their criteria which classify 'Financial Hardship'. Therefore, at present their will not be looking to take my case further and review my bank facilities with them.

Now this is obviously some kind of template with repetitive information that they keep sending me because I explained to them in my previous letters that my account has been closed since October 2007.

I believe I will send the LBA today and see what happens.

regards,

miced

Edited by miced
update

Hello Sea-sidelady,

I believe I will send the LBA today and see what happens.

regards,

miced

I have sent my LBA today by recorded delivery.

This is more or less a copy of what I sent to their Customer Services Response Unit in Edinburgh. I had to change a few things since they have responded to my previous letters but refused to consider my case as 'Financial Hardship'.

Your Ref: XXXXXXXX

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Sir/Madam,

Account Number: XXXXXXXX Sort Code: XX-XX-XX

You have failed to refund my charges even though I have provided the relevant information in the ‘Customer Financial Statement’ showing that you should classify my case as ‘Financial Hardship’.

Please find attached detailed copies of documents where I am being threatened with legal action, as evidence in support of my claim/request. I therefore expect be treated sympathetically and speedily in view of hardship.

In making this request, I remind you of your duty to comply with conditions agreed in the waiver of July 2007 and continuation of July 2008 between yourselves and the FSA.

I enclose a further copy of my preliminary letter and a further copy of a schedule of the money which you owe me.

If you do not return my money to me within 14 days I shall issue proceedings in the County Court and without any further notice to you.

Yours faithfully,

I will wait and see how this goes but in the meantime I will prepare my claim form ready to file in court.

regards,

miced

Edited by miced

That letter is good.

It is extremely hard to prove financial hardship, even if you are on full benefits. There have not been many successful cases. But it is ALWAYS worth a try.

Have a good read of the court forms, threre are some excellent guides on here. If you need help, just shout.

Let us know if you get a response from your lba letter.

F&Q's... Read here

• 3 weeks later...
That letter is good.

It is extremely hard to prove financial hardship, even if you are on full benefits. There have not been many successful cases. But it is ALWAYS worth a try.

Have a good read of the court forms, threre are some excellent guides on here. If you need help, just shout.

Let us know if you get a response from your lba letter.

Hiya Mice,

I have briefly read your thread and it appears you could be a hardship claimant. I have just had my hardship claim agreed with Abbey 65% of my total claim = £4.3K and the money will be in the account by tomorrow, it took just under 4 weeks.

Did you by any chance send with your letter an income and expenditure showing that you cannot meet your essential household needs.

Why have they refused to look at financial hardship... all the banks are now looking at genuine hardship under the revised FSA waiver rules. If they break the rules and refuse they will have to answer to the FSA and they may revoke the waiver.

It is my honest opinion and suggestion if you have not already supplied them with the I&E you do so immediately together with as much evidences as you can muster including any services which you are currently in arrears, mortgage etc, any court documents if this exist, a brief outline of why you find yourself as a hardship catagory in a letter requesting that they consider your claim under the FSA waiver rules.

I wish all the best

Tuttsi xx

Hiya Mice,

Did you by any chance send with your letter an income and expenditure showing that you cannot meet your essential household needs.

RBS had send me a customer financial statement to complete which I returned to them back in July.

Why have they refused to look at financial hardship... all the banks are now looking at genuine hardship under the revised FSA waiver rules. If they break the rules and refuse they will have to answer to the FSA and they may revoke the waiver.

On 21/08/2008 received a letter from RBS Customer Response Services Unit this morning stating that they have undertaken a review of the information I provided and have determined that I do not fall into their criteria which classify 'Financial Hardship'. Therefore, at present their will not be looking to take my case further and review my bank facilities with them.

Now this is obviously some kind of template with repetitive information that they keep sending me because I explained to them in my previous letters that my account has been closed since October 2007.

It is my honest opinion and suggestion if you have not already supplied them with the I&E you do so immediately together with as much evidences as you can muster including any services which you are currently in arrears, mortgage etc, any court documents if this exist, a brief outline of why you find yourself as a hardship catagory in a letter requesting that they consider your claim under the FSA waiver rules.

I sent my LBA on the 21st Aug with all of the evidence I could possibly muster including copies of letters from creditors threatening me with court action, proof of my arrears with credit card, loans and utility bills. RBS wrote me only yesterday to say once again that my case does not fit their classification of financial hardship under their hardship policy. They stated that I can go to the FSA should I want to appeal.

Obviously, once again it is some template letter because I mentioned time and time again that my account with them was closed back in October 2007 but they are still offering to freeze interest and bank charges on an account that no longer exists.

In other words they are telling me to get stuffed in a nice way!

What is the next step that I should take?

regards,

miced