• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

rbs charges !

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6232 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Brilliant site this - theres millions of us being taken for fools every day and hardly anybody realises it.

I've been a royal bank customer for the last 4 years (since i was 15), and over the few years ive paid hundreds in charges. Up until last september i always had wages going into my account every month, quite a lot sometimes was working several jobs for a long time. I've got to admit im not the best at managing my money, and have dipped into the red by mistake a few times, not leaving enough there for direct debit's and stuff, hardly financial ruin as ive always had regular income. Still, the bank refused me an overdraft when i started uni in september, even tho its a student royalties account, i dont see any benefits in it - wouldnt even give me a hundred quid in case i dip in by mistake - so ive been scraping by. All of my student loan payments are paid into the account, a few thousand a year in 3 or 4 installments. I've been fined a couple of times and the fines seem to keep growing and growing. Just the other week i didnt leave enough in for my phone bill and another direct debit, so they came off and left me about £25 in the red. A few days later i paid in a cheque for £350 putting me well back in the black. today i logged onto my internet banking and it was a depressing site - a charge of £39.74 (why that amount ive no idea) and a 'referral charge' of £60 :Cry::Cry::Cry: so thats £100 for being £25 under for a few days...

Needless to say i really can't afford this, its destroyed the money i was leaving to cover my payments this month. I know in the grand scheme of things its not huge money, but its enough to make a major difference to me. I have complained before to my branch and was told to clear off basically, even got a meeting with the manager and she just told me to clear off the charges are fair and square (in not so many words), she's a charming woman to say the least :p I'm going to go back through my statements and add it all up and send them the letter from the library on here (good letter :D )!

Fingers crossed eh. Cant deny it i've been in the wrong due to not managing my money, but the charges are ridiculous. It all adds up so quickly and snowballs like crazy. Just between me and a few other students i know they've had thousands of pounds.

Will set things in motion in the next few days, i dont see any reason why they should deny me it's definetely worth the try (dont know too much about law etc, just what ive read on here, FAQs etc).

Anyway, thats my rant over for the day, will post up on here if i hear from them or whatever.

cheers

Stuart!

Good post. I'm in a similar position, although mostly because they are charging for direct debits that I have previously cancelled and I'm currently fighting about £300 of charges. Will go into this fully in a seperate thread at a later date, but some great info on this site.

Some excellent info on this site too. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1141050760,24632#reclaim

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

Did you suffer anycharges before you were 18?

Are you still on the same acocunt as you were when you were 15?

Did you sign a new account contract when you became 18?

Did you suffer anycharges before you were 18?

Are you still on the same acocunt as you were when you were 15?

Did you sign a new account contract when you became 18?

I don't think i did get charged for anything before I was 18, no, as I didn't have any direct debits or anything. I didn't sign a contract when I turned 18, but i signed a contract when i changed from a route 21 account to a student acccount a few months later, so i think the paperwork is all in order.

I was home the other day and dug out all my statements, out of roughly 100 pages i have about 60 of them, and the charges on the pages i have (think its most of them) add upto £339.74 - over the last 1yr 7mths. £17.88 a month for the last 19 months, on average. The scary thing is how much the charges have increased over this relatively small period of time. Towards the end of 2004 i got a couple of fines for dipping under and was always charged about £10, which i never questioned because that's not so unfair. This 'Referral Charge' appeared sometime last year, on top of the regular charge, worst i've had is £120 in charges for going about £30 under, cant remember the exact figures off the top of my head. The only explanation I can see for this is greed - the bank's costs certainly haven't increased by 12x - if anything they will have reduced; a computer issues the charges, and computing power is getting greater every year :lol:

I've been very busy with uni winding up for the year and stuff, but will get round to having a go at them soon.

cheers, Stuart

• 10 months later...

well... finally!

yes its taken me a lot lot longer than expected (priorities - uni, work, and more work!) and it slipped to the back of my mind but im finally ready to go ahead, hopefully once its going itll all happen quickly enough. I sent the data request about 2 weeks ago and just got a copy of all my statements going back to the year 2000, so just need to sort through them all and sort out the schedule of all the charges, ive not finished yet but its looking like its going to be about £800ish. So, this should all be sent off to the bank on Thursday/Friday!

Now that things are in motion i should be on here a bit more often (i half thought this thread would have been deleted), reading and learning, will keep this updated if/when i hear from the bank.

Cheers for now,

Stuart

Stuart, it's great that you're back. I wish I knew about this back when you joined in March 2006 but I know how studies and work can be distracting. Don't forget when you've decided which charges you're eligible to claim for, to try and understand contractual interest too as the snowball effect you experienced with your mounted debts are the same snowball effect they have put onto your account! Good luck!

right, am ready to send my prelim letter asking for refunds to the sum of £697.74. Im not sure which address would be best to send it to, having read the list of contact addresses pinned at the top of this section. I was thinking send it FAO Tommy McLean, as this seems to be who most people end up dealing with at some point or other?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi there

ive been intrigued by all of this i must it was my colleague at work who egged me on even though i read the independent each day who are running a similar campaign.

Im just another example of someone who went 1 or 3 pounds overdrawn and subjected me to horrible charges and then missed direct debits as well. I resorted to cancelling direct debits recently to avoid the dreaded charges are there issues about royalty gold accounts?

Richard:mad: :( :-?

Stuart,

When I was at Uni I found that the RBS, Barclays were not very good at giving student overdrafts... However, Nat West and Lloyds threw money at you... When I went to vist friends at another Uni... they said the exact opposite...

Basically, whether a bank gives you an OD or not is usually down to the branch manager... Talk to your friends and find a local bank that does give overdrafts...

J

I resorted to cancelling direct debits recently to avoid the dreaded charges are there issues about royalty gold accounts?

Hello,

If you are a Royalties Gold customer remember that there is a monthly membership fee for the extra benefits (travel ins & discounts on posh hotels, woohoo!) and as this is a valid fee you cannot reclaim it.

However, RBS have been sneaky and put the charge, which is currently £12/mth, together with a penalty charge. Try to find out which charge has been combined with the RG fee and deduct your RG fee from the charge to leave the penalty, mine appeared on my statements like this:

CHG TO (DATE) A/C 0014XXXX there is normally one interest one and two chg ones together on around the same date each month.

Make sure you let them know that you have gone out of your way not to claim the RG fee, even put them in bold print on the spreadsheet or asterix them if you are sending statements.

Hope this helps and good luck!

SM:p

Paying interest on a loan caused by penalty charges? Read this!!

Very useful A-Z here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html?highlight=can%27t+find+what+you%27re+looking+for%3F

New strategy for Scots claims here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/scotland/71013-urgent-attention-please-read.html

Scottish procedure:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland/42620-scottish-procedure.html

I am a layperson not a legal expert, my advice is offered without prejudice or liability, it is purely my opinion based on personal experience and should be treated as such. If in any doubt seek the advice of a qualified professional.

Well, got a letter from the bank the other day, just got home and opened it yesterday.

First page read basically as what i'd been expecting, trying to convince you that they are in the right etc, then the top of the second page...

"as a gesture of goodwill and without admission of liablity or error, in this instance we are prepared to offer the amount of £679.74 paid direct to your account"

I'd hoped for an offer, maybe a few hundred, but never expected them to offer the full amount - that is (to the penny) the amount i tried to claim. To be honest i was pretty worried about the whole idea of going to a court and setting legal proceedings going. Needless to say I signed the acceptance form and it's in the post, i know it will take a few days but who cares, i'm just over the moon that its done and ive got it in writing. It might look like a long time, seeing when I first started this thread, but the delay was purely down to distractions of my own, it took almost exactly one month from first letter to offer :o

I've scanned the letter and uploaded it (minus my address, the ref no, and the signature; think that's all that could cause any problems) if anyone considered it worth reading, i know its of no personal interest to nobody apart from me but if you're claiming from the rbs, it might be on its way to you! :D

Page 1

Page 2

Finally, got to say thanks for everyone's help, ive never posted much but i've spent a lot of time on here reading, both the advice given in this and in other threads, and theres nothing better than a success story to make you go and try for yourself. Also I fully believe that the letters i used, downloaded from this site, were crucial in helping my claim, as they are excellently worded and obviously have done the trick for me. I know a couple of friends are thinking about it and I will send anyone this way with no hesitation.

So, thank you very much! This should be the end of it for me, but im going to keep up following stuff on here, its interesting and makes a good read,

Cheers,

Stuart

(very happy :D:D:D:D)

Congratulations Stuart!!!!

Remember don't sign their form stating full and final settlement..... but instead let them know that you're signing against full and final settlement of THIS claim only (as you may need to claim in the future).

Thanks!

The letter does use the words "full and final settlement" like you say, but it only ever refers to settlement of this complaint, and there was nothing else on the form that said it was anything more than settlement of this specific complaint.

Anyway, it's signed and in the post already :D And, touch wood, i never intend to be in a similar situation again!

Stuart

Stu,

DId you claim for the 8% interest on top?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

TheDean Vs Telewest - 27/10 SB's big letter sent.

Stu,

DId you claim for the 8% interest on top?

No I didn't. I figured that i'd have more chance of a decent settlement without asking for that as well, keep things simple i guess, plus as the amount I was claiming was quite small in the grand scheme of things I just left it out.

• 11 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6232 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks