First Plus / Eversheds Court 12th August

Nearly Here
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5735 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In short: Been runnimg my own Ltd company, but due to slow payers etc got into trouble. First Mortgae with GE hit 6K in arrears, Loan with First Plus hit a similar figure.

Just started now working full time for another company and get paid a good sum at the end of the month, wife is also now earning. GE arrears now down to £200, will be zero at the end of the month

Been talking to Eversheds about situation and asked for a copy of the signed loan agreement as I have the option to bundle the 2 loans together. I wanted the agreement as I need to know about any settlement clause.

This morning we each had a defence claim form Eversheds and I'm in court Tuesday for a repossion hearing. In the paperwork, they have not got any signed paperwork by us. The figures quoted say that a setlemnt figure of 0ver £100K will be reduced by £30K, leaving a figure of £74K. We borrowed £56K 7 years ago on a 15 year deal. For 6 years we had a faultless repayment history. From the end of the month I can start paying First Plus the full amount plus £100. At the end of September it will be £300 on top of the basic.

I've had nothing from the court what so ever.

1/ Wat the hell do I do?

2/ How long will it be from a court hearing to eviction? (We have 2 children, 4 and 6 years old?

Edited by jonni2bad

Hi there, firstly, don't panic. What exactly is the defence form you have (there should be a number on the top N11 or similar). We can do a defence for you to take to court with you and hand to the judge. If you have an income and can prove you can maintain payments towards the arrears going forward then there is no way the lender will get possession, so try not to worry too much.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Thanks Ell-enn..

No number, the cover letter is titled as a witness statement. Attached is the pariculars of claim, copy of land registry title, un-signed terms and conditions, and a copy of a default notice dated December 2007.

I am now in full time employment, and have 2 pay slips. The wife is also now earning and can prove that income going forward.

For the wifes (and mine) peace of mind, if the worst happened how long would we have before the big eviction?

Hi there, I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding eviction. There is no way a judge will grant possession to the lender at the first time of asking - especially as you are both working and can maintain payments going forward. I have been involved in possession cases where the situation is much much worse than yours and they have kept their homes.

I am concerned that you have not received the court claim papers though - they are normally issued approx 6 weeks before the hearing. However, no matter - we can get a defence together for Tuesday. There is case law we can use to support your defence and as you also have young children in the home this will make a difference.

I will start to draft one for you this afternoon - as I am using my home PC I will need to use Open Office for the document as my Microsoft Word isn't working for some uknown reason - but you will be able to open the document using Word.

OK, some information I will need for the defence:

What is your normal monthly payment?

How much can you afford towards the arrears each month on top of the normal payment?

When and how much was your last payment?

When will the next payment be?

How old are your children

Do you have contracts/offer letters from both you and you're wife's employers to confirm you are employed?

Please try to stay positive - you will not be evicted!

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Normal payment is £731, of which we can pay £100 more.

Last payment was £450 in March.

£831 will be paid at the end of the Month and Monthly after.

Children are 4 and 6 years old.

I have a contract letter of employment.

Wife has confirmed bookings through to June 2009. (we host foreign langage students)

My Ltd company is owed over £10,000. I don't hold much hope of recieveing this but if I did then after tax etc, balance woud be paid direct to First Plus

Arrears to GE mortgage are almost cleared which will reduce my payment to them by £286 per month. I don't want to promise this in addition to £100 in case of rate rises etc, but would consider this. To be fair to GE they were very understanding in my problems and although they commenced court proceedings these were quickly halted.

Just to add, First Plus have not confirmed how much I orignaly borrowed, I have not got a signed form from them and the figures within the Witness statement do look open to question.

Thanks Ell-enn

Edited by Nearly Here
Added some further ino

OK, that's great. While I'm working on the defence can you gather together all these documents :

Your contract letter of employment

Your wife's list of bookings

A summary of what the business is owed

Can you also download and complete a budget sheet from here: National Debtline England & Wales | Personal Budget Sheet

(it's best to do a draft first to make sure you get your figures right before printing off the final copy). You should include the extra you are paying to GE in the monthly payment you show on the budget sheet, as you say - if interest rates increase then you may not have that amount spare. However, if things stay the same there is nothing to stop you making additional payments to First Plus as and when you can after we have the offer you are making confirmed in court.

Be back later this afternoon with your defence.

You will be ok, honestly:)

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Excellent, I will be back later this afternoon with your defence. (Need to go shopping!)

Please stay positive - you have every chance of success with this case and I am confident the outcome will be in your favour:)

Have a read around the repossessions forum at previous cases and you will see that you are in a favourable position in comparison to some.

Ell-enn

Hi, affixed is the defence statement for court. You just have to fill in the information where I have indicated either in brackets (remember to delete the brackets) or where I have put XXX's.

Where I have referred to Appendices, you need to write the claim number on the top left hand corner and the Appendix number on the top right hand corner of each corresponding document.

Once you have the papers in order, you will need to photocopy three sets, one for yourselves, one for the judge and one for the other side.

If you have any further queries, just shout.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Nearly Here Statement for Court.doc

Affixed is the information on the Norgan case law which I have used in your defence. You should read this and take a copy with you in case you need to refer to it.

Ell-enn

Cheltenham & Gloucester v Norgan.doc

You're very welcome, I'm happy to help. Let me know if there's anything else you're unsure about.

Just to let you know what to expect at the hearing: the case will be heard in a private room with just yourselves, the judge and a representative for the other side. There is no public admittance. You will find that the judge will understand that you have no experience and will guide you through the process which should take no longer than 5 - 10 minutes. When addressing the judge it should be Sir or Madam. Try to remain calm and speak slowly and clearly when asked a question.

You will probably find that there will be several cases scheduled for the same time, as a lot of people don't show up to defend! (:eek:). The other side's representative (usually a cocky just-qualified junior!) may approach you to discuss the case - it's your choice if you speak to them or not, but it's best to say you'd rather wait for the hearing and let the judge decide.

Don't forget to post your good news as soon as you can:)

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

The judge will ask their representative if they have the deed (different to the agreement) you signed to secure the loan on the property. They need to have that in court - if they don't you can let the judge know you have asked for the agreement. If they have a copy of the deed then as far as the court is concerned you owe the money.

Ell-enn

Hi All

Quite painless. 28 days suspsended order.

Eversheds rep spoke to me be before the case, Norgen case was taken "as read" by him in that my offer of £100 would pay off the arrears within the mortgage term.

Judge also agreed with this but made provision for a review in 6 months. Judge also gave a first payment date at the end of September to allow me some breathing space.

Again, thanks ell-enn

Brilliant News - well done! :) I'm so pleased for you, although I knew it would be OK ;)

Keep us posted if you need any further help

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Hi All

Quite painless. 28 days suspsended order.

Eversheds rep spoke to me be before the case, Norgen case was taken "as read" by him in that my offer of £100 would pay off the arrears within the mortgage term.

Judge also agreed with this but made provision for a review in 6 months. Judge also gave a first payment date at the end of September to allow me some breathing space.

Again, thanks ell-enn

Well done...Sleep well tonight.

Brilliant News - well done! :) I'm so pleased for you, although I knew it would be OK ;)

Keep us posted if you need any further help

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

And something for our superstar.

eden4flowers.jpg

• Haha 1

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

Can I just ask, is there PPI on the first plus loan?

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Evening All.

Thank you all for your thoughts, (specal ell-enn)

No, the loan did not have PPI, this question though has reminded me that was one of the early questions from the Judge to Eversheds.

If any one out there is lurking with similar problems then I realy recomend you get registered and share your problems.

I knew today was going to happen at some time, just did'nt get much warning about it, but even with my circumstances things seem to have come out OK. I must admit that I'm very lucky to have secured an income, as did my Wife, at such a late stage.

I took my defence paperwork with me, but both Eversheds and the Judge did not ask for a copy. The Judge reffered to the Norgan case with regard to my offer, askeed about PPI, accepted my offer of £100 pcm on £7600 and allowed a breathing space.

On looking at the court listing today, 3 court rooms, 90 cases today for Mortgages / Arrears and repos. Perhaps the Goverment should registar on this site a get a look at what is happening in this Country today.

Scary isn't it? I helped some friends with a firstplus repossession last year, and realised they had been missold ppi big style. Irony was that if FP had not tried to repossess it would not have been challenged. Got them a £20K refund. I was horrified when we went to court that there was no-one there to help with repossessions. I have been talking to the solicitors I work for about helping people before the court date - apart from the fact that there may be no-one there to help I think a lot of people are scared of even going to court and don't realise that there is a way to fight repossession if you have a fair chance of clearing the arrears.

BANK CHARGES

Others

Hi, I too have been horrified at the amount of cases heard every day in courts across the country, and also the numbers who don't turn up to defend. This has got to be due to the lack of publicity about where to get help to defend possession. What happens to people who have no internet access and can't search for information?

According to our local CAB they cannot keep up with the amount of enquiries they are getting regarding repossession. One of the common problems is those who have come out of their reduced rate period and find their mortgage has jumped up by £200+ a month - due to the credit crunch they can't get another deal but can't afford the new payment either:mad:

Ell

the numbers who don't turn up to defend.

This is sad as far as im concerned. THE STATISTICS show that only 47% of claims are granted repo.

I believe this would be much lower if people knew they had a chance, and defended any claim.

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

I suspect that if you did a very low budget leaflet campaign offering repossession advice there would be a queue along the street the following morning. The LSC are looking for more legal firms to help, but only at the stage of the court steps so to speak. Which doesn't really help.

Something needs to be done, and urgently.

BANK CHARGES

Others