Council Tax - deduction for non provision of service ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5758 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does anybody know if you can make a deduction from your council tax if for example your refuse was not collected a certain week due to industrial action being taken by the refuse collection guys ? (non provision of service )

Our neighbour pays a reduced council tax rate as he doesn't have his refuse collected (he recycles 100% of his rubbish and doesn't need a collection), so if you don't get your rubbish collected because the bin man are on strike and the council therefore does not provide this service for a set time, can you reduce your council tax to allow for their failure to provide the service ?

Their is no facility in council tax for any reductions due to non/reduced use of provided services.

;) That may be so, but no company can charge for a service they do not provide. If they charge me X amount to collect my rubbish out of my council tax, and then do not collect my rubbish, they cannot be entitled to that payment

Their is no facility in council tax for any reductions due to non/reduced use of provided services.

Yes there is.

A library closed in my area a couple of years ago and my local council reflected the savings from that service in the next years tax by not increasing the levy as much as it would have been had it remained open.

;) That may be so, but no company can charge for a service they do not provide. If they charge me X amount to collect my rubbish out of my council tax, and then do not collect my rubbish, they cannot be entitled to that payment

Unfortunately a council is not a company.

Yes there is.

A library closed in my area a couple of years ago and my local council reflected the savings from that service in the next years tax by not increasing the levy as much as it would have been had it remained open.

Not increasing the council tax is different to offering people a discount based on service usage. A council can use any justification it wishes as a reason not to increase - in your area they obviously decided to use the closure of library facilities as the justification but they could have easily used any reasoning.

A council can choose not to increase or vary the increase for any reason they can afford to but their is no legislation which allows an individual decrease based on service usage.