Council Tax - Court Costs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5660 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last year a £74 court cost got added to my bill when they put a Liability order on my Council Tax. Can you claim that back. I know my rent officer is gonna get my Rent Court Cost refunded.

So i was just wondering if you can do the same for Council Tax.

Last year a £74 court cost got added to my bill when they put a Liability order on my Council Tax. Can you claim that back. I know my rent officer is gonna get my Rent Court Cost refunded.

So i was just wondering if you can do the same for Council Tax.

If the liability order is valid - you can't claim it back. E.g., if you missed a payment, it's standard procedure to whack you with a liability order. It's not fair and a money making racket / tax on the poor in my book... but unfortunately the way it is.

I'm still fighting one where I got the court cost added because I was not even aware of the liability order.... they sent all the details for my current address to the old one. They flat out refuse to withdraw the charge so I need to work on my skills of telepathy, clearly. Words come to mind that would be inappropriate to post in this forum...

~G

This isn't a question about the liability order, this is about the penalty charge added to the liability order fee.

A liability order costs £3, the rest is a penalty charge and as with all penalty charges can be reclaimed.

Sorry al - although it is a penalty charge, it is not classed the same as bank charges and you will not be able to claim it back. This is an admin charge they add.

Why I say it is a penalty charge is because different councils add on different amounts, some add as much as £135 and others as low as £40, so it has to be a penalty.

In 2007 councils in England made £200,000,000 from these 'penalty' charges.

They now count liability orders as part of their income that is why they don't try very hard to get the tax from anyone, just one reminder and then court. They actually want people to default. (my opinion)

Do you think it would be worth asking anyway and not in a reclaiming way just say writing a letter kindly asking if they would consider removing it as i know my Rent officer is doing the same for my Rent court cost once i get my arrears down.

as once my backdate for council tax benefit is sorted having that taken off i could pay the rest in one and then it's sorted.

But i suppose with the luck i'm having lately i might aswell not bother :(

al are you on any benefits? if you are then that would help your cause.

They will claim as ss points out above that it is admin charges.

Write asking them if they will justify the £71 added to the liability order and that you know the actual cost of the order is £3.

Tell them if they cannot justify the amount, will they please refund it as non justification will mean it is a penalty charge.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi can anyone help me with my letter i'm not sure what to put, this is what i have so far.

Dear Sir/Madam

RE:

I’m writing regarding the cost of the Liability Orders put on both my Council Tax bills.

Please can you justify the £71.00 and £73.00 added to the Liability Orders as I know the true cost is actually £3.00.

If you cannot justify the amounts then please refund them to both to my account as non justification.

I’ve currently got a claim in for Housing and Council Tax Benefit and I’ve also requested a backdate to help me get back on track with my arrears and last years bill. I’m just waiting to receive some information before I can send it in.

Yours faithfully

• 3 weeks later...

I sent the letter to my local Council regarding the costs and thiese are the replies i got. Any advice please.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t50/jensenjaredaholic/Documents107-1.jpg

Thanks AL

Edited by animal_lover
removed wrong link

That is total bunkum how they have 'tried' to justify the cost.

I.T. stationary etc are all budgeted into the normal years council tax. Accommodation - what the hell is that, are defaulters paying their mortgage for them.

Lets say reminders x5 (to be generous), spreadsheet to court (cost shared amongst all defaulters, in this case 4,315 (so 1p would be an over payment), liability order £3.

I would suggest that from start of the first reminder to them notifying you of the liability order £7 - but lets round that up to a tenner.

£65 profit.

But unless you can see the cost of these things and work them out on an individual basis, you can't call their bluff, so there is nothing you can do.