• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Kingliam v Alliance & Leicester ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6375 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I sent off the Data protection, information request letter on 4th July, Im looking forward to moving forward shortly.

Kingliam

:!:

On behalf of the Ginger one

Lloyds TSB - 1ST 12/07/06-LBA 26/07/06-MC-14/08/06-Court-31/01/2007

Halifax - D P A 02/10/06

On behalf of MumKing

Barclays Bank D P A 29/08/06

On behalf of DJ Sunny

Alliance & Leicester D P A 29/08/06

On behalf of GrandmaKing

GE Capital D P A 30/10/06

Barclays Bank D P A 30/10/06 - 1ST 15/11/06 *Microfiche [problem]

Hi, Kingliam.

One question. Have you got a parachute account?

As you have just seen on The Holte41's thread, they have closed his account without warning after sending his DPA info to him.

If you check out Lady Penelope's thread, you'll see they did a similar thing to her.

Seems the gloves are really off now!

Good luck with the claim, dude. :cool:

Yes, I saw that too!

I shall sort a brand new parachute account out this evening.

Its a shame as A&L are pretty good and if I can help it I wouldnt want to close.

Kingliam

Halifax - D P A 02/10/06

On behalf of MumKing

On behalf of DJ Sunny

On behalf of GrandmaKing

Be in no doubt that they will close the account and they will not pay up without a moneyclaim. They have really got the gloves off, so you will need to be firm in your resolve if you want your money back.

There interest rates may be good, but their methods are dreadful. I don't want to put you off, just let you know what you are up against, as are we all on this forum, so you will get great support.

Good luck

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Yes, I'm ready to be firm

Kingliam

Halifax - D P A 02/10/06

On behalf of MumKing

On behalf of DJ Sunny

On behalf of GrandmaKing

Then bring it on A&L, bring it on!!!:eek:

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Right then, Got my parachute account set up with Smile, will be getting some Wine too! Can't be bad.

I sent two data requests off on the 4th, HSBC have come back to me, however I am a little worried that A&L have not, I have contacted them via telephone and they have said there's a backlog and that my request has not been recorded on the system.

I know they have the 40 days and think they will use the full 40 but has anyone else experieced the same?

Any ideas?

Kingliam

Halifax - D P A 02/10/06

On behalf of MumKing

On behalf of DJ Sunny

On behalf of GrandmaKing

I know they have the 40 days and think they will use the full 40 but has anyone else experieced the same?

Any ideas?

Hi again, King.

I don't have personal experience of this, but from reading around the forum, they tend to take it to the wire mate.

If I were you I'd take a breather until the info arrives on your doorstep - probably 40 days after you sent for it! 8)

Hi there,

I sent my DPA request off to A&L 34 days ago, they have 6 days to get my info to me, I must say I'm not holding my breath. I haven't heard anything from them at all since I sent the letter and I haven't contacted them by phone.

My plan is to give them their 40 days then take the step of calling them to let them know I will be reporting them.

Good luck, hope they arrive soon as I hope mine do!

Em.

• 4 weeks later...

DPA sent on the 4th July, Nothing yet, I have rang numerous times to be told that they have no record of my request, there was no way of them checking and that I have to give them 40 days! Cant wait til they are up - only 9 days to go!

Kingliam

Halifax - D P A 02/10/06

On behalf of MumKing

On behalf of DJ Sunny

On behalf of GrandmaKing

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I eventually got my statements 3 days before the 40th day! They were a little difficulty to work out as they were not in the normal statement format, However, I went through them and issued my prelim letter on the 9th. Here goes

Kingliam

Halifax - D P A 02/10/06

On behalf of MumKing

On behalf of DJ Sunny

On behalf of GrandmaKing

• 3 weeks later...

Not a lot

Kingliam

Halifax - D P A 02/10/06

On behalf of MumKing

On behalf of DJ Sunny

On behalf of GrandmaKing

Be in no doubt that they will close the account and they will not pay up without a moneyclaim. They have really got the gloves off, so you will need to be firm in your resolve if you want your money back.

There interest rates may be good, but their methods are dreadful. I don't want to put you off, just let you know what you are up against, as are we all on this forum, so you will get great support.

Good luck

yes the gloves are off, and reading through several threads, it seems people are letting them get away with it.

im really wanting everyone to test A&L's resolve in continuing to close people accounts after the payback though, even if you never intend to use it again, its wrong that they do this and it needs stopping along with all the other stuff they do.

the question is , what is the new readers to do about it, if noone tells them how they can cover themselves to stop A&L and indeed all the banks etc doing it, were do we place the text and what should it say?.

i pointed to the banking code and how that tells them they should not close accounts but its no good if they ignore their own B-code, so shouldnt every single claim try and stop them closing accounts, thats for the users to decide if and when they choose, not the A&L as a punishment .

I certainly will test their resolve, I have recently been promoted, now have a larger amount going into my account each month, they have just upgraded my account to a premier one, If after this they try to close my account, I will fight as in my opinion it is clear that it would have been closed as a direct response to my complaint. which I belive is against the Banking Code.

Kingliam

Halifax - D P A 02/10/06

On behalf of MumKing

On behalf of DJ Sunny

On behalf of GrandmaKing

Oh, got a final response letter from them yesterday - Money Claim will be started today!

Kingliam

Halifax - D P A 02/10/06

On behalf of MumKing

On behalf of DJ Sunny

On behalf of GrandmaKing

• 1 month later...

Money Claim actually started on the 13/10/2006 - does anyone know when it is deemed served?

Kingliam

Halifax - D P A 02/10/06

On behalf of MumKing

On behalf of DJ Sunny

On behalf of GrandmaKing

MCOL help says it is deemed as served 5 days after the start date

We haven't got the money, so we've got to think!

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

Data Protection Act Letter sent 11/08/06

Data rec'd 14/09/06, Prelim letter sent 16/09/06

LBA sent 22/09/06, MCOL 6QZ68670 issued 2/10/06 - chq for £6,375.34 rec'd 04/11/06.

• 3 weeks later...

Won!

I received a letter from the Court dated the 31/10/2006. "Notice of Defence that Amount Claimed Has Been Paid" attached is a copy of a letter from Alliance & Leicester to myself dated the 30/10/06.

The letter states that

"we have decided in this instance to settle the claim."

"This decision should not be regarded as an admission of liability on the part of the Company as we consider the charges to be fair and reasonable."

"As it is clear that you do not accept the terms and conditions for the operation of your account we will shortly be contacting you to discuss its future operation."

I have not received the original copy of this letter and doubt whether Alliance & Leicester ever did send it.

I called them today and spoke with a lady who was very pleasant. She asked whether I wanted to cancel the first cheque they sent and request another? If this happened there would be a delay as the cheques come from Bootle and she is in Leicester.

I decided to wait for the postie tommorrow before cancelling the cheque.

Has anyone else fell victim to this last ditch delay tactic, or am I just being sceptical?

Kingliam

Halifax - D P A 02/10/06

On behalf of MumKing

On behalf of DJ Sunny

On behalf of GrandmaKing

Anyone?

Kingliam

Halifax - D P A 02/10/06

On behalf of MumKing

On behalf of DJ Sunny

On behalf of GrandmaKing

Not heard of this before. I should phone up A&L and tell them you haven't had a cheque and if you don't receive it by the end of the week you will be telling the court that they have been misinformed.

Did so at 2pm today, and asked that they put it in my account today or tommorrow Ill be contacting the court.

Kingliam

Halifax - D P A 02/10/06

On behalf of MumKing

On behalf of DJ Sunny

On behalf of GrandmaKing

Nothing in there as yet! another call to A&L at 9am.

Kingliam

Halifax - D P A 02/10/06

On behalf of MumKing

On behalf of DJ Sunny

On behalf of GrandmaKing

Still no payment as yet.

spoke on Monday, it will be in your account today and show tomorrow

nothing on Tuesday it will be in your account today and show tomorrow

nothing on Wednesday it will be in your account earliest tommorrow

Currently waiting a callback, according to them they have until the 15th to pay up. Lets wait and see what they say when they call back this afternoon.

In honesty the guys at the Legal Team at Carlton Park, have been really pleasant to deal with, lets hope they get better and credit my winnings into my account.

Kingliam

Halifax - D P A 02/10/06

On behalf of MumKing

On behalf of DJ Sunny

On behalf of GrandmaKing