Council tax on empty property

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5777 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a flat last year and it remained empty for just over 6 months while I refurbed it myself and then searched for a tennant.

Shortly after I took ownership the council sent me a huge bill. I refused to pay on the grounds the property was empty and amazingly they granted me 100% exemption on the basis it was indeed empty.

However, after a six month period I recieved a bill for the following year. I called them to re inform them that it was still empty but they said that the 'empty property exemption' was only valid for 6 months. After that I had to pay 90% of the full rate weather it was empty or not.

There is now a tenant in there who is paying monthly however I am stuck with the bill for the time just before I got the tennant in. Do I have to pay it?

Ideally I dont want to have to pay anything for a property that lay empty.

OK thanks, thats very annoying indeed.

One would assume that now I have a tenant in there if it lays empty again for say 2 months while I find another tenant the 6 months starts from the begining again? (the day she leaves)