• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Defaulted by MINT

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5558 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks. Ive spend days looking through all the various threads on this site, each time i come across another more interesting and informative. Along the way though I have become a little confused and to say the least have had a few headaches!

Basically..I had a credit card agreement with Mint (The Royal Bank Of Scotland). I managed this account perfectly for several years until in 2006 I over commited with other lenders and found that I was struggling financially with the repayments. I tried getting a consolidation loan but was refused left right and centre as I was nearing my credit limit on everything and my salary was not all that great. I plodded along with my contractual payments, just leaving myself skint then out of the blue I was contacted by a debt management company who offered to manage my debts for me bla bla bla, I make payments that i could afford etc etc. I agreed to this and each creditor was made an offer of repayment. All of which agreed and I had no problems. Mint agreed also although defaulted me, on the basis that 'to accept the reduced payment' they'd have to terminate the account, which meant defaulting the account.

I didnt know this at the time and wasnt even sure if i got the default.

Anyway, I sent the 'I didnt get the default notice' letter which has just expired (with no reply from Mint). I was now wondering what to do next? Id go to any length to remove the default, however annoying I might be to them. My plan was to send a similar letter (with a copy of the last) and give a further ?? days to respond. Im not convinced this will work though.

I have read threads on requesting a copy of the original contract - if they could not provide it then I could write to the credit reference agencies to try and get it removed based on lack of evidence?

Or, requesting a SAR (or SARN)...what will this show, and what would i do with this?

Also I have read about sending them a letter challenging them to the Data Protection Act - is this a S10/12 notice?

And i have read about sending them a letter asking for any charges back (which i think is only 1 to 3 charges) and asking within that letter to remove the defalt based on the default being inaccurate - is this a LBA letter?

Theres just so many things I have read its its all getting so confusing!!! Can somebody possibly help or point me in the right direction. If you need to know anything further about my particular case then please feel free to reply to this thread.

thanks in advance :-D

I think the first thing to do is send them a CCA request - I am not sure about how good Mint are at supplying copy agreements. I have to say that all my cards defaulted me when I set up the reduced payment plan, however whilst it makes life a bit more difficult there are mortgage lenders who will pay no attention to credit card defaults, especially when they are more than 12 months old.

As you say there are many other actions you could take, but I would suggest finding out if they have the right to enforce the debt first. Getting the default removed is not easy - I haven't even bothered apart from one card who between them and the DCA had put four defaults on my credit file for the same debt:mad:

I guess there is some merit in the charges being included in the default amount, but again that is probably going to involve going to court over it.

Hopefully you will get other advice too, but that's my first thought. Are you sure none of the others have defaulted you?

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Hi, thanks for your speedy reply. A CCA request, is that where I just ask for a copy of my contract (is there anything else? Does that stand for Consumer Credit Agreement?) With the amount of abbreviations going around its gets a little confusing for me at times!! Duh!! Thats interesting to know about the mortgage lenders and not paying too much attention to credit card defaults..I wonder why that is?

Yes im absolutely sure no one else defaulted me. My Barclay Card is perfect, the only one that is a bit rough around the edges is a bank loan with Lloyds but thats a long story and im in the process of sorting that out (their error not mine). Basically they offered me a refinanced loan which I agreed to (which would replace the existing loan) however they failed to set it up so offered me a 'special repayment plan' which, on looking at my credit report, gives the impression I have missed payments as the special payemnt plan is based still on the original loan agreement. I know I can get out of that one though as I have a strong case and a paper trail of my letters, calls, complaints, the works. But yeah, no other defaults.

Kim :)

Letter 'N' from this lot. Other letters in there that may be of use.

You need to send £1 with it - postal order and send recorded - do not sign the letter. There have been rumours of cutting and pasting going on.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

BANK CHARGES

Others

Letter 'N' from this lot. Other letters in there that may be of use.

You need to send £1 with it - postal order and send recorded - do not sign the letter. There have been rumours of cutting and pasting going on.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Thanks gold lady,

I have this morning, in reply to my letter requesting a copy of the 'signed true and certified copy of the default notice', received a letter saying that 'there is no legal requirement to provide me with a signed true and certified copy of the original default notice' but they have in-place provided me with a copy of my original signed loan agreement...so now no need for me to send that letter.

So, I suppose now I should send a SARN? I have been told that if my SARN includes a note to say a default warning letter HAD been issued that im at a dead end with this, however if this does not include these important notes, that I can request the default to be removed and if necessary involve the Information Commisioners Officer. Is that correct that if the SARN does include these notes that im stuffed?

Many thanks, Kim

Edited by lil old me
Spelling!

Are you sure you are at a dead end? Is it an enforceable agreement? Is there any way you can scan it, remove all personal details, and post it on here so the experts can pull it apart. Focus on that before we look at the default notice issue as the non-validity of the CCA is your best weapon. I was going to put invalidity but that looked wrong:o

BANK CHARGES

Others

Are you sure you are at a dead end? Is it an enforceable agreement? Is there any way you can scan it, remove all personal details, and post it on here so the experts can pull it apart. Focus on that before we look at the default notice issue as the non-validity of the CCA is your best weapon. I was going to put invalidity but that looked wrong:o

I have just realised that they havent sent me a signed credit agreement at all..they've sent me a signed APPLICATION FORM, a freshly printed credit agreement (which is clearly not the original) neither is it signed, it is just a replica of what the original is. Cheeky bas*ards!

I havent got a scanner here at home but im off to a friends later so i'll try and scan the documents there. I have drafted a letter to Mint which I was thinking of sending, what do you think?

Thank you for your letter dated 23rd May 2008.

My letter dated 23rd May 2008 specifically requested a true copy of the agreement and a signed true and certified copy of the original Default notice. You have supplied me with neither, just a useless signed application form, a copy of my latest statement (that I did not request) plus a screen print of RBS Advanta Internet Application, whatever that is.

I have copied and pasted extracts from the Consumer Credit Act and as you will see, you are required to provide me with a copy of the original loan credit agreement and Default notice. Again I stipulate that if you cannot provide these documents that you substantiate this data immediately.

I am also still not satisfied that Mint has followed the necessary procedure when issuing the Default against my name so I would like to request my SARN too, including my Data Subject Information which shows all past correspondence.

Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you are required to supply me this Subject Access Request (SARN). I enclose the maximum cost of £10 for the information.

Additionally, where there has been any event in my account history which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff, or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my business with you.

I would take out the word 'useless' just incase you do have to refer to this letter in court at a later date:cool: Is the credit limit on the freshly printed one your current credit limit and not the one when you first got the card? I have had one like that where the original limit was about £1500 and their re-created one shows the limit as £10K....

BANK CHARGES

Others

I would take out the word 'useless' just incase you do have to refer to this letter in court at a later date:cool: Is the credit limit on the freshly printed one your current credit limit and not the one when you first got the card? I have had one like that where the original limit was about £1500 and their re-created one shows the limit as £10K....

Yes, you're right, maybe I should! Just very annoyed ha ha!!

Ah good point, it IS different. When I first took out the card it was amount 'a' then I asked for them to increase it to 'b' but when I defaulted on payments they reduced my credit limit to 'c' . In their print out they have put credit limit 'c' therefore not the same as when i applied.

Does this improve things for me do you think?

I didnt get round to scanning my documents for all to see, but will try to do so when I can get access to a scanner. But if you think you know any other parts that may differ let me know and i'll check.

Hi, lil old me.

I'll ask a Mod to move this thread to the RBS Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Ok thank you. Will Goldlady be able to find it again, she's been very helpful?

Yes, she will find you no problem ;)

You'll be in her subscribed threads :)

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Just to say I am still onto your thread:D. Been out all day trying to find a home for our caravan so we can get away from it all in the summer, assuming we have one...

BANK CHARGES

Others

Just to say I am still onto your thread:D. Been out all day trying to find a home for our caravan so we can get away from it all in the summer, assuming we have one...

Thanks! ;) Sounds lovely..hope we have a summer this year too!

Sounds like you are in a similar situation to myself.

I had a copy of my RBS Advanta application form come through, which missed prescribed terms namely a credit limit was not listed and there were no specific cancellation terms present or account charges listed.

So effectively the alleged debt is unenforceable under law.

They also sent an additional document puporting to be an agreement which I had never seen beforehand, and includes the current credit limit along with current default charges. So definately not an executed agreement.

If the balance at which you were defaulted includes penalty charges of any nature, you should be able to get the default removed on the basis that the data recorded is unlawful and unfair to you.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

Sounds like you are in a similar situation to myself.

I had a copy of my RBS Advanta application form come through, which missed prescribed terms namely a credit limit was not listed and there were no specific cancellation terms present or account charges listed.

So effectively the alleged debt is unenforceable under law.

They also sent an additional document puporting to be an agreement which I had never seen beforehand, and includes the current credit limit along with current default charges. So definately not an executed agreement.

If the balance at which you were defaulted includes penalty charges of any nature, you should be able to get the default removed on the basis that the data recorded is unlawful and unfair to you.

The document that they provided which has my signature, which I think is the application form does happen to have a credit limit showing, although it does not have specific cancellation instructions, as yours doesnt. Surely they cannot enforce a debt based on only the application form anyway..that purely means I APPLIED for credit!

The default amount includes one late payment charge and thats all - still making the agreement inaccurate I believe. Mint are little gits, I paid in October 2006, missed November and December and by January they had defaulted my account. The REALLY annoying thing is that I went through a debt management programme and started making payments to them starting from November 2006 so technically I made a payment every calendar month..it was just the DMP who was responsible for the late payment etc. I have written to Mint to explain this, and have also sent a complaint to the DMP.

Don't think that the banks really care, they follow procedure and thats the end of the story.

If you went to court then you should be able to get the default removed because of the inclusion of the unlawful penalty charge.

Someone drew of a POC for doing this, let me know if you want it and i'll dig out what I read yesterday on it.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

Here you go:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/146805-how-file-court-removal.html

This should be of help, fee wise though i'm not sure of how much it would be to submit this claim.

Submitting the draft order at the same time as your allocation questionnaire would be beneficial, if a judge was minded to adopt it - RBS would be reluctant in the extreme to comply which would wipe out their defence.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

You might remember that i sent the letter below:

Thank you for your letter dated 23rd May 2008.

My letter dated 23rd May 2008 specifically requested a true copy of the agreement and a signed true and certified copy of the original Default notice. You have supplied me with neither, just a signed application form, a copy of my latest statement (that I did not request) plus a screen print of RBS Advanta Internet Application, whatever that is.

I have copied and pasted extracts from the Consumer Credit Act and as you will see, you are required to provide me with a copy of the original loan credit agreement and Default notice. Again I stipulate that if you cannot provide these documents that you substantiate this data immediately.

I am also still not satisfied that Mint has followed the necessary procedure when issuing the Default against my name so I would like to request my SARN too, including my Data Subject Information which shows all past correspondence.

Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you are required to supply me this Subject Access Request (SARN). I enclose the maximum cost of £10 for the information.

Additionally, where there has been any event in my account history which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff, or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my business with you.

Anyway I was about to sent them a reminder today as they have 40 days to comply and its nearing for 40 days, however to my surprise i got a reply this morning. The reply is as follows:

DATA PROTECTIONS ACT 1998 - SUBJECT ACCESS RESPONSE

We enclose details of your personal date held by Mint Card Services and registered under the Data Protection Act 1998. These details are provided in response to your recent request made under the terms of the Act and were located using the information contained in your request.

Notification of 'default information' on your card account to Credit Reference Agencies was carried out in accordance with long established procedured. Details of these procedures are contained in the credit agreement and have been notified to the Information Commisioners Office. We are satisfied that the default on your account was properly notified to the Credit Reference Agencies. If you disagree, you have the right to apply to the court to have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased, or destroyed. Further information is available from the Information commissioner's website: Information Commissioner's Office - ICO.

On this occasion I can confirm that we have been unable to obtain a copy of your original signed agreement.

Manual Intervention

When items are presented for payment and covering funds are not available, manual intervention does not normally take place. However, if it does, it is part of a routing procedure and we are not required to make any record or note of action that was adpoted. Therefore, no notes relating to manual intervention would exist. If you have any problems please do not hesitate to contact me at the above address.

Now then. They have not removed the default notice but I believe that they have left a window of opportunity for me to argue this case - and believe that I would (with the know how) have a strong case to get this crap off of my account.

Please, can someone advise me the best route to now take?

My personal arguement with them is that 'Notification of 'default information' on your card account to Credit Reference Agencies was carried out in accordance with long established procedures. Details of these procedured are contained in the credit agreement and have been notified to the Information Commissioner's Office'' is completely irrelevant if they have no contract to hold me to. They are refering to a contract which does not exist. And because they are 'long established procedures' should be completely ruled out if I dont have a valid contract..so bloody what if they have been doing this for a long time!

When a contract is signed, the person who is making the application is agreeing for the creditor to disclose and share data about them to CRA's...ummm...surely then, the fact that they have no contract for me means that I have not given permission for data to be processed about me??

As well, could I go straight to the CRA's with this and say remove it you b*stard?

(Just to say as well as everything else, they also still have not provided me with a true copy of the default, nor does it mention anything about defaulting me in the paperwork they sent me)

Any info, advice or experiance would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the exact same letter as you did, they supposed to send you MI documents and a copy of the default notice. They haven't fully complied with your request, report them to ICO

i'll be complaining to the ICO about MINT and do contact the CRA about the default and have it removed

On this occasion I can confirm that we have been unable to obtain a copy of your original signed agreement.

mentioned the same thing in my letter, i wonder what the "agreement" they sent me is???

I got the exact same letter as you did, they supposed to send you MI documents and a copy of the default notice. They haven't fully complied with your request, report them to Information Commissioners Office

i'll be complaining to the Information Commissioners Office about MINT and do contact the CRA about the default and have it removed

mentioned the same thing in my letter, i wonder what the "agreement" they sent me is???

Hi Helios,

I think what they have sent us will benefit us long term as we have it in black and white that they are unable to provide a CCA, therefore it is unenforceable without a court order.

My plan is to go to the ICO eventually but for now I have replied to Mint quoting statements from the ICO website to remind them that what they are doing is wrong - I am hoping this will be enough to get them to remove the default but if this isnt, then I will write to the ICO.

In the meantime, I have e-mailed Credit Expert stating that I dispute the information and I got a reply to say that they will be in touch with Mint soon to confirm what I am saying - they have added a notice to my defaulted account to say that it is currently in dispute.

I would have gone straight to the ICO but I am scared that if I used my big guns now, that should it fail me, I will have even less options available to me. I know what I am doing will take longer but I am prepared to wait so at least I know I have explored all options.

To be perfectly honest, I really, really, cannot ever remember signing a contract with Mint...I just remember signing the application form and then my card coming through. Keep in touch with your progress - I will too. Good luck mate!!

• 2 weeks later...

You might remember I e-mailed Credit Expert about my dispute with Mint? Well I've checked my e-mails today and have had a reply from Credit Expert stating the following:

Further to our recent correspondence, I have been contacted by Mint. They have confirmed that the details we hold are accurate and have requested that we retain the information on our database. Unfortunately I am unable to amend this information without the authorisation of the company in question.

The 'Notice of Dispute' will remain on your report for 28 days. It will then be removed, unless I receive further notification from you:

"THE CONSUMER HAS DISPUTED THE ACCURACY OF THIS ENTRY AND WE HAVE THEREFORE ASKED THE PROVIDER TO INVESTIGATE IT. GIVEN THAT THIS DATA IS DISPUTED, PLEASE TAKE CARE IF MAKING AN ASSESSMENT OF ANY KIND THAT MAY INCLUDE THIS DATA."

If you have any further queries or wish to discuss this further, may I suggest you contact the company concerned direct at the following address:

Mint, CRA Enquiries, Credit Card Operations Centre, PO Box 6050, Southend on Sea, SS99 1WL

Kind regards

Mr Simon Malbon

Consultant Consumer Service Officer

Client Queries

Im really hacked off about this as my last correspondence with Mint was on 15th July and they have not written back to me yet but have got back to Credit Expert. Im just as annoyed as I have been writing to Lloyds about other issues (their fault) and my last letter to them was 2nd July, following my letter 1th June as THEY didnt reply either - can these banks just not be arsed or something? Aaaaargh

Am I correct in saying that if they have 28 days to get back to me with an answer, otherwise they have to remove the information?

Im confident that I have the upper hand here, despite their contact with Credit Expert saying they will not remove it, I just dont want to involve the ICO if I can help it..I was *hoping* that I wouldnt have to but perhaps I may have to? Suggestions folks?

• 2 weeks later...

in similar boat. Just realised today I was given a default on my credit notes (Expedia) by Mint end of July. This is my only ever default so am somehwat annoyed to say the least.

I also have cca'd and S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)'d Mint and received the usual mock-up / application - the SAR resulted in some statements and some notes. Nothing from before 2007 and no agreements or anything. (it was RBS Advanta I applied for originally not Mint!!)

What I cannot understand is whether Mint should have sent me something other than a letter 'default notice' - stating I had x days to pay. Should they have sent a letter saying 'time up and you've failed to pay x amount so we will default you'???

Have today sent letter to complain to Mint stating remove (50% iof amoutn due is penalty charges) default and also to Expedia.

What else can be done - and what, as in your case lil ol me, can actually be done if Mint refuse?! Is it worth complaining to FOS or Information Commissioners Office? I have heard the ICO are pretty useless with this issue?

Does a default now mean Barclays will not allow me to remortgage next summer?!!